Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Thanks. . Yes, the folded over top 3.5" to 4" is 2.5" thick, so, it wedges in nicely and holds in place. I could even pull it up a it more and it would be even snugger.
I also thought, it it didn't hold, I would apply some double sided carpet tape to the back side of it against the inner fender well sheet metal.

So far,it is working well. We'll see how it goes through the Fall. I park outside some with a lot of trees in our Fall travels.
This is an easy great idea. I also park under trees and see a lot stuff fall down there as I'm trying to pick it out. Sucks. I'm gonna try this. Thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
GraniteBlue05...

Got around to doing this modification.......
Used some very course aquarium filter material I use on my larger 150 tank.
Wedged it in place, it's not going anywhere.....just need to remember to clean out the collected debris occasionally.

Worked well, thanks again for the great information!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
GraniteBlue05...

Wedged it in place, it's not going anywhere.....just need to remember to clean out the collected debris occasionally.

Worked well, thanks again for the great information!

You are welcome. Glad it worked for you also Brian.
I want to take some pics of mine that "caught" some leaves so far. And it poured rain hard on the trip last weekend. The water went straight through and the leaves stayed up on top.
The white filter media is even better. You can see more easily when it might need a wash or rinse.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
GraniteBlue05...

Here are two pics of the debris my truck collected just on a short 3 day trip.
Glad to see a few pine needles that didn't find their way and get trapped down into that lower inner fender well area.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Just an FYI.

I was shocked to see how much crap was Crammed behind the liners off both
Wheel wells. For you that live up north, this could be a recipie for disaster rotting plant matter + Road salt..

Anyways just thought if share my findings..

Cheers!

Hoping you may have seen using some coarse pond filter media screen to remedy any more debris from getting into that hidden fender well area.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Never would have checked in here if not for this thread. Thanks to all of you!

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Question regarding the bottom "piece" inside the wheel well, what direction should it face? My passenger side was facing forward while my driver side was facing back. Also, are people taking it out or does it serve a valuable function? See photos regarding wheel well areas and subject "piece".

Attachments

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Question regarding the bottom "piece" inside the wheel well, what direction should it face? My passenger side was facing forward while my driver side was facing back. Also, are people taking it out or does it serve a valuable function? See photos regarding wheel well areas and subject "piece".
Apparently, the fact that one is facing one way and the other opposite is an indicator that it just doesn't matter . . maybe.
Many who venture in their are just cutting the piece off to allow an open space at the bottom for air flow and water drainage. Older vehicles had no such stuff blocking that area so debris and maisture could not get built up in there.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
How much harder to clean out this debris, if you have factory fender flares? If someone could post an image, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
How much harder to clean out this debris, if you have factory fender flares? If someone could post an image, it would be appreciated. Thanks.
The factory fender flares should make no difference in removing the fender liner and cleaning out the debris. The OEM flare is on the outer lip of the fender and shares no fasteners with the inner fender liner.

However, if you have factory or WeatherTech splash guards, they would have to be removed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks!

Reviving this thread since it's approaching that time of year again. Fall brings with it leaves, pine needles and other debris that may get down into the fender well area spoken about and pictured in Post #1 of this thread. It is an open path to this area and I thought about another possible proactive solution to remedy this.
I also have a lot of trees that drop small seeds in Spring and though I do not park my truck outside very much at all, there is the occasion where I maybe leave it in the driveway a few hours if I am leaving again later.

I had some of this 1.25" coarse pond filter media and seems like a good way to block even small seeds, and pine needles, yet allow water to drain through in the designed manner from the cowl area when it rains or going through a car wash.
This filter material is very coarse and almost see through as you can see in the picture below with the tape measure. It is also very "springy" and remains in place when inserted into the upper fender well cowl area. I cut a piece about 9" wide and 12" long for each fender screen. I then inserted it ( a bit tricky ) into the slot like opening between the inner fender sheet metal and the fender bracket bolt points. I also doubled over the top 3.5" to 4" or so of the filter screen material as I inserted it to provide added thickness and also wedge it snugly in place.

So far, it has accomplished what I wanted to keep debris out and it is easily removed for a quick wash or rinse with the hose if needed.
Anyway, a simple but effective remedy for those who may be interested. The Material is available from Aqua-Flow from several vendors. I found the material direct from Aqua-Flow on Ebay was the best price at under $20 for a 12" X 72" size. I originally purchased a larger quantity for our pond and the price I just quoted is listed for higher prices elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-72-x-1-25-Coarse-Black-Universal-Pond-Filter-Mat-aquarium-filtration-media/122446486647?hash=item1c82611c77:g:85gAAOSwpkFY8GHc

Thanks for the info!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I think you only need a T-15 bit, I'll be finding out this weekend.
Ordered some pond mesh too, thanks for the idea @GraniteBlue05
Do you have the GM mud flaps? I'm curious just exactly what needs to be removed without breaking any plastic clips. I park under trees and know my fenders are full of crap. Could you possible take a photo or two while you remove the liner so I can do it too without breaking anything? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you have the GM mud flaps? I'm curious just exactly what needs to be removed without breaking any plastic clips. I park under trees and know my fenders are full of crap. Could you possible take a photo or two while you remove the liner so I can do it too without breaking anything? Thanks in advance
No, I have WeatherTech flaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Need to commit to completing the job next time I start, but it will be tougher, because my truck has factory fender flares, and the bottom 3 screws that hold the fender liner are covered up with flares. I will have to take a small hole saw to drill thru the plastic flare so I can get a driver tip on the screw. Next time I start, I will not give up. After that it will be a straight forward clean out.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
23 Participants
billsite34
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing