Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just an FYI.

I was shocked to see how much crap was Crammed behind the liners off both
Wheel wells. For you that live up north, this could be a recipie for disaster rotting plant matter + Road salt..

Anyways just thought if share my findings..

Cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Yep it is a quite common thing on most vehicles. This is why the bottom of so many front fenders are rotted. The drain clogges up and then rust.

This really a bigger issue if you park outside and have a tree that drops crap. Maple seeds. Pine needles etc.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep it is a quite common thing on most vehicles. This is why the bottom of so many front fenders are rotted. The drain clogges up and then rust.

This really a bigger issue if you park outside and have a tree that drops crap. Maple seeds. Pine needles etc.
Agreed. The good news on these trucks it takes less than 5 min to clean it out. Don’t even have take the tire off.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I assume that you are talking about the front factory installed liners. I hate to see/hear that. On the positive side, I was thinking about installing the optional rear wheel liners. Don’t see the point—just saved some bucks 😊

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I use the power sprayer at the $.25 car wash. Also use it to clean the undercarriage of the truck, especially in the winter.
$.25 car wash......... really? Our local car wash just went up twice that amount!

Gusto!

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Power washer will not fix this issue. Back side of Wheel liner must be removed or pulled back in order to clean out.
I have heard of this problem with our trucks before. So is it easy to just pop those wheel liners out at the bottom behind the wheel? You mentioned you don't have to take the wheel off. Just asking because I park under trees and see a lot of crap and leaves getting stuck at the corner of my windshield and know there has to be a ton of stuff getting down there when it rains. How easy is it to just pull those tabs out and do I need to get new tabs to replace them when I pull it out? Curious. I'm definitely going to open this up this spring and clean it out. Thanks, any tips would be appreciated. Guess I have to take off the mud flaps too to get the liner off.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I have heard of this problem with our trucks before. So is it easy to just pop those wheel liners out at the bottom behind the wheel? You mentioned you don't have to take the wheel off. Just asking because I park under trees and see a lot of crap and leaves getting stuck at the corner of my windshield and know there has to be a ton of stuff getting down there when it rains. How easy is it to just pull those tabs out and do I need to get new tabs to replace them when I pull it out? Curious. I'm definitely going to open this up this spring and clean it out. Thanks, any tips would be appreciated. I'm guessing I have to take off the mud flaps too to get the liner off.
I think it is screws with a small torx (15?) head on them. Can't remeber. If there are those little plastic things just be very careful and you can reuse them. On most of them the center part pulls straight out about 3/8" then the whole thing comes out. The center is a sort of wedge that holds it in.

ya Im sure the mud flaps will have to come off.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you find a lot of debris in the cowl you are probably going to want to clean out the fenders.

Now if you do not get much debris and park indoors odds are you will have little to no debris.

Some cars have a grid over the cowl drain and some just large holes that collect all the junk that get trapped.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it is screws with a small torx (15?) head on them. Can't remeber. If there are those little plastic things just be very careful and you can reuse them. On most of them the center part pulls straight out about 3/8" then the whole thing comes out. The center is a sort of wedge that holds it in.

ya Im sure the mud flaps will have to come off.

Correct all torx on the back side super simple just crank the wheel all the left for drivers side removal and vise versa for passanger side.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts

Yeah, I park under trees all the time. I wish someone would make this, maybe a 3D printer version in plastic. It's a weird shaped hole for a screen to fit. I wish Chevy would have put something there. I never had to deal with this on the old Colorado and S10 trucks. I'm always cleaning out my cowl and see the stuff fall down there.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Yeah, it looks like an annual maintenance item to clean possible debris out of those fender areas. Some other GM and other vehicles also have similar issues with debris collecting in hidden areas like this. Guess they don't test for that effectively enough.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I assume that you are talking about the front factory installed liners. I hate to see/hear that. On the positive side, I was thinking about installing the optional rear wheel liners. Don’t see the point—just saved some bucks ��
Reviving this thread since it's approaching that time of year again. Fall brings with it leaves, pine needles and other debris that may get down into the fender well area spoken about and pictured in Post #1 of this thread. It is an open path to this area and I thought about another possible proactive solution to remedy this.
I also have a lot of trees that drop small seeds in Spring and though I do not park my truck outside very much at all, there is the occasion where I maybe leave it in the driveway a few hours if I am leaving again later.

I had some of this 1.25" coarse pond filter media and seems like a good way to block even small seeds, and pine needles, yet allow water to drain through in the designed manner from the cowl area when it rains or going through a car wash.
This filter material is very coarse and almost see through as you can see in the picture below with the tape measure. It is also very "springy" and remains in place when inserted into the upper fender well cowl area. I cut a piece about 9" wide and 12" long for each fender screen. I then inserted it ( a bit tricky ) into the slot like opening between the inner fender sheet metal and the fender bracket bolt points. I also doubled over the top 3.5" to 4" or so of the filter screen material as I inserted it to provide added thickness and also wedge it snugly in place.

So far, it has accomplished what I wanted to keep debris out and it is easily removed for a quick wash or rinse with the hose if needed.
Anyway, a simple but effective remedy for those who may be interested. The Material is available from Aqua-Flow from several vendors. I found the material direct from Aqua-Flow on Ebay was the best price at under $20 for a 12" X 72" size. I originally purchased a larger quantity for our pond and the price I just quoted is listed for higher prices elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-x-72-x-1-25-Coarse-Black-Universal-Pond-Filter-Mat-aquarium-filtration-media/122446486647?hash=item1c82611c77:g:85gAAOSwpkFY8GHc

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Reviving this thread since it's approaching that time of year again. Fall brings with it leaves, pine needles and other debris that may get down into the fender well area spoken about and pictured in Post #1 of this thread. It is an open path to this area and I thought about another possible proactive solution to remedy this.
I also have a lot of trees that drop small seeds in Spring and though I do not park my truck outside very much at all, there is the occasion where I maybe leave it in the driveway a few hours if I am leaving again later.

I had some of this 1.25" coarse pond filter media and seems like a good way to block even small seeds, and pine needles, yet allow water to drain through in the designed manner from the cowl area when it rains or going through a car wash.
This filter material is very coarse and almost see through as you can see in the picture below with the tape measure. It is also very "springy" and remains in place when inserted into the upper fender well cowl area. I cut a piece about 9" wide and 12" long for each fender screen. I then inserted it ( a bit tricky ) into the slot like opening between the inner fender sheet metal and the fender bracket bolt points. I also doubled over the top 3.5" to 4" or so of the filter screen material as I inserted it to provide added thickness and also wedge it snugly in place.

So far, it has accomplished what I wanted to keep debris out and it is easily removed for a quick wash or rinse with the hose if needed.
Anyway, a simple but effective remedy for those who may be interested. The Material is available from Aqua-Flow from several vendors. I found the material direct from Aqua-Flow on Ebay was the best price at under $20 for a 12" X 72" size. I originally purchased a larger quantity for our pond and the price I just quoted is listed for higher prices elsewhere.
I like this. What keeps it from falling down into the fender? Just the pressure of the top being folded over?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I like this. What keeps it from falling down into the fender? Just the pressure of the top being folded over?

Thanks. . Yes, the folded over top 3.5" to 4" is 2.5" thick, so, it wedges in nicely and holds in place. I could even pull it up a it more and it would be even snugger.
I also thought, it it didn't hold, I would apply some double sided carpet tape to the back side of it against the inner fender well sheet metal.

So far,it is working well. We'll see how it goes through the Fall. I park outside some with a lot of trees in our Fall travels.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Great information........

First look at your pictures I thought you were using steel wool, which doesn't seem like the best material.
The pond filter material is an awesome choice.....I keep very large aquariums and use similar media, so I will do the same as my truck sits outside most of the time.

Thanks for the suggestion/information!

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Great information........

First look at your pictures I thought you were using steel wool, which doesn't seem like the best material.
The pond filter material is an awesome choice.....I keep very large aquariums and use similar media, so I will do the same as my truck sits outside most of the time.

Thanks for the suggestion/information!

I have some tighter mesh filter media, but choose this coarser filter because I wanted to make sure it drains and won't hold water from rain or car washes. So far, it's doing the job and holds no moisture. It "breathes" very well.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
23 Participants
billsite34
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing