Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. New Colorado owner and new member here. I just purchased a 2018 Colorado Z71 diesel yesterday. It only has 7,400 miles on it. From what I have been reading, these come with several (2 or 3?) oil changes as part of the purchase price, to be done at an authorized dealer.

My first question is, does anyone know if this is transferable to the second owner, or does it just apply to the original owner? I purchased it at a non-GM dealer, so they don't know anything. If it's transferable as part of the warranty, how can I find out if mine has had an oil change yet? How many oil changes are included in the purchase? What's the recommended interval between oil changes or do you just go by when you get a message on the dashboard indicating you need to change the oil soon?

The Colorado is replacing a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD, which has a Mercedes-Benz turbo diesel, so I'm used to doing diesel oil changes, but I'd rather let someone else do them if I don't have to pay for them!

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I believe that may be a dealership courtesy and may be needed to be done at that particular dealership. As far as transferable, I bet not. Not sure how you would find out, however, it may be linked to the VIN. There is an Oil Life screen that will show a % until oil change in the DIC. As far as oil changes, usually 3 free.

·
Registered
972 Posts
If the oil looks very clean and you bought it at a non-GM dealership I would probably change the oil. My concern is they wouldn't use the proper Dexos2 oil specified for the diesel. Actually I have that concern about GM dealers too! I prefer to do it myself.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It's pretty well covered above; but the 2 free changes were provided with the sale of the vehicle from GM. 7400 miles is right around the OCI for standard usage; and if it weren't done by a reputable dealer that knows of the Dexos spec for the MiniMax I would definitely have a trusted GM shop look up the vehicle history. Chances are you'll be able to snag at least one, if not both free oil changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome! Thanks for the great info. I'll try to find out if and when the previous owners took it in for service and go from there. Hopefully the Volvo/Mazda/VW dealer I bought it from didn't screw up by changing the oil with something non-approved.

I have been very religious about using only Mercedes-approved oil for my Jeep. It has a 10-quart capacity, and the oil I used (low-ash imported stuff, since I didn't do a DPF delete) was very expensive. I want to be just as religious with the babymax!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called the salesman who sold me the Colorado and asked if the (non-Chevy) dealer performed an oil change prior to sale (there was no sticker or anything to indicate that they had done that). He said they do oil changes on all vehicles before sale. I asked if he could verify what kind of oil they used, and he said "OEM." Not sure if I should trust that or not.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I called the salesman who sold me the Colorado and asked if the (non-Chevy) dealer performed an oil change prior to sale (there was no sticker or anything to indicate that they had done that). He said they do oil changes on all vehicles before sale. I asked if he could verify what kind of oil they used, and he said "OEM." Not sure if I should trust that or not.
I wouldnt. You spent a ton of $$$ on your truck. If you are in any sort of doubt, spend the few bucks to MAKE SURE its done. :wink2:

·
Registered
972 Posts
I wouldnt. You spent a ton of $$$ on your truck. If you are in any sort of doubt, spend the few bucks to MAKE SURE its done. :wink2:
I wouldn't either. The chance of a non-GM dealer stocking Dexos2 oil is very low, and the chance of them running out to get oil is also very low. You probably just have some 5W-30 in the engine now, and it might not even be synthetic.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was lucky I got free lifetime oil changes when I bought mine. The dealership (a GM Dealer) always used Dexos 2. I have now moved and need to find a place to do it. No, I can't do it myself as I live in a RV park for the foreseeable future. So I am not crawling under my truck in the street to change oil.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I was lucky I got free lifetime oil changes when I bought mine. The dealership (a GM Dealer) always used Dexos 2. I have now moved and need to find a place to do it. No, I can't do it myself as I live in a RV park for the foreseeable future. So I am not crawling under my truck in the street to change oil.

surprising the cheapest place I found is the Dealer,( $45 oil change and $5 for tire rotation) the local chain Dobb's, kind of like a Pep Boys wanted $75 bucks and 25 for tire rotation...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I took my Colorado to a local Chevy dealer. Turns out the original owner had used one of the "free" oil changes at 5,000 miles (2,500 miles ago). But based on the non-Chevy dealer salesman telling me that they had performed an oil change without being able to verify that, or verify what kind of oil they used, I went ahead and used up the second free oil change. Now I know what's in the engine, and have a clean baseline to start with.

Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Update: I took my Colorado to a local Chevy dealer. Turns out the original owner had used one of the "free" oil changes at 5,000 miles (2,500 miles ago). But based on the non-Chevy dealer salesman telling me that they had performed an oil change without being able to verify that, or verify what kind of oil they used, I went ahead and used up the second free oil change. Now I know what's in the engine, and have a clean baseline to start with.

Thanks for all the advice!

Now, enjoy the truck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
tcoilburner
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing