Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to dealer Saturday to get oil changed & tires rotated.

When I checked in, there was a sign on the service door that due to the strike, they did not have any FS trucks or SUVs for loaners.

As usual, I went and walked the lot. I was shocked, normally they have a few Canyons and a ton of Sierras, with vehicles in drive aisles, etc. The lot was half empty. Only had one Canyon Denali on the lot. Spoke to a couple of the people their, they said they couldn't build inventory, stated they sell ~250 vehicles per month. They have even offered to go pick up vehicles at the Arlington plant that builds Yukons, but still no luck.

Strike was over on October 25, and I know one worker at the Arlington plant was back on 6 days per week as soon as it was over.

Are the rest of you seeing similar inventory issues around the country?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Yes, I would suggest that we are still feeling effects from the strike, but I think that's very minor part now. The Colorado and Canyon, are getting updates for 2021, which is supposed to be released late spring, I doubt dealers want to order a lot of extra 2020s when they know they will have to discount them greatly when the 2021's arrive in a few months; The factory is also getting updates for the 2021s so they are building limited 2020s. The Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade are switching to a completely new platform and the factory has been updated/switching over during the strike and they have started producing the new vehicles, so very minor 2020s are being built during this time until the full switch over. I believe the combination of all these things are why there are limited numbers on the lot, the strike being the least reason, unless you are referring to just the Sierra's and Silverados.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I would suggest that we are still feeling effects from the strike, but I think that's very minor part now. The Colorado and Canyon, are getting updates for 2021, which is supposed to be released late spring, I doubt dealers want to order a lot of extra 2020s when they know they will have to discount them greatly when the 2021's arrive in a few months; The factory is also getting updates for the 2021s so they are building limited 2020s. The Tahoe, Yukon and Escalade are switching to a completely new platform and the factory has been updated/switching over during the strike and they have started producing the new vehicles, so very minor 2020s are being built during this time until the full switch over. I believe the combination of all these things are why there are limited numbers on the lot, the strike being the least reason, unless you are referring to just the Sierra's and Silverados.
In the case of this dealer, the biggest issues I saw were the Sierras, but your thoughts are interesting. You almost make it sound like GM used this strike period to help them prepare for model changes on the midsize trucks and the FS SUVs. Surely GM would not have taken advantage of contract negotiations in such an underhanded way. (pardon me while I go wipe the sarcasm off my face.)

I do have the impression that the 2021 midsize trucks are going to be released much earlier in 2020 than typical for model year updates. The order guide was even released much earlier than normal.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
In the case of this dealer, the biggest issues I saw were the Sierras, but your thoughts are interesting. You almost make it sound like GM used this strike period to help them prepare for model changes on the midsize trucks and the FS SUVs. Surely GM would not have taken advantage of contract negotiations in such an underhanded way. (pardon me while I go wipe the sarcasm off my face.)

I do have the impression that the 2021 midsize trucks are going to be released much earlier in 2020 than typical for model year updates. The order guide was even released much earlier than normal.
They may be doing it like the ZR2 roll out in 17, when they started building and allowed ordering at the end of March/April for a couple thousand units for showroom floor bling and customers, for some PR exposure for MY 18.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
My GMC dealer has a ton of Sierras on the lot, they park the Canyons in the back, will have to cruise thru this Sunday.
The Chevy Delaer has 12-14 Colorado's and quite a few Silverados. They have not had a ZR2 on the lot since last summer. I got a e-mail from a salseman the other day, saying they need my truck and they will make me a great deal on trading in. I e-mailed back if they had a ZR2, guy came back with we can find one or order one for you. I said, why woulld I do that instead of driving 8 more mile as Weber Chevy has 6 on there lot????idiots

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Went to dealer Saturday to get oil changed & tires rotated.

When I checked in, there was a sign on the service door that due to the strike, they did not have any FS trucks or SUVs for loaners.

As usual, I went and walked the lot. I was shocked, normally they have a few Canyons and a ton of Sierras, with vehicles in drive aisles, etc. The lot was half empty. Only had one Canyon Denali on the lot. Spoke to a couple of the people their, they said they couldn't build inventory, stated they sell ~250 vehicles per month. They have even offered to go pick up vehicles at the Arlington plant that builds Yukons, but still no luck.

Strike was over on October 25, and I know one worker at the Arlington plant was back on 6 days per week as soon as it was over.

Are the rest of you seeing similar inventory issues around the country?
Your dealer is as full of crap as a Christmas turkey. They don't have any because they haven't ordered any and they apparently don't want people to know. On their behalf, it's probably a bad time for them to order, as newer product will be coming out soon and they would lose money, but blaming it on the strike is dishonest - even for a dealer.

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might agree
Your dealer is as full of crap as a Christmas turkey. They don't have any because they haven't ordered any and they apparently don't want people to know. On their behalf, it's probably a bad time for them to order, as newer product will be coming out soon and they would lose money, but blaming it on the strike is dishonest - even for a dealer.
Might agree on Canyons but not on Yukons and Sierras. That is this dealers bresd and butter, especially Denali trim.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was able to get mudflaps, skid plates, and all season floor mats ordered by the dealer. I also ordered a Chevy bed liner that was put on back order because of the strike. I ended up getting a bed liner through another company.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I cruised thru my GMC dealer yesterday,thhey had one Canyon, it waas an AT4, that was it, usually they have several rows of them. They also did not have very many (3-6) Sierras...Chevy dealer has 14 Colorados, no ZR2's and 2 rows of Silverados

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
My dealer has 12 1500s in stock and 35 in transit. Only one is a diesel.
They have 35 Colorados in stock, 39 in transit and 17 are diesels.

That discrepancy with the dealer makes me wonder if the 3.0s are very popular or in short supply. They obviously like ordering diesels, so why don't they have more than 1 1500?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts