Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was taking it in for Exhaust fluid service and noise at low speeds. They had to replace the Def Pump and were unable to isolate the noise so they opened a case with GM. I picked up the truck and as soon as I opened the door it smelled musty. It was dark but I did notice that the carpets were wet underneath the floor mats. At first I thought maybe they cleaned the carpet as the service advisor said they were going to wash car. When I got home and checked it is apparent that someone left the passenger side windows front and rear open while it was raining last week or when it was being washed. Now I have to return tomorrow and deal with yet another issue. This truck has been 2 months total time in a dealer having some sort of repairs done to it. I made a video to document damages done by Chevrolet dealer.

https://youtu.be/ISurcjCRzfw

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
As much as that sucks; IMO that’s totally not a “yet another truck repair issue” but a “dealer issue”. It’s not like anything mechanical is making you go back this time, it’s all apparently lack of attention to detail :serious:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
What dealership ?
Don't think it would be fair to publish that for now in order to give them an opportunity to correct this and see how they are going to make this right. We all make mistakes and I believe in giving someone a chance to make it right. Since I have not been able to sleep I was able to check out the truck more. I discovered that the entire passenger front seat got wet. All the metal frame is rusting compared to driver side.

·
Registered
347 Posts
This happened to me with my last SUV, dealer left passenger side window open during car wash. Back seat floor area soaked as well. Took weeks to get fully dry using wet vac, then towels, then portable heater in the car. Every day i worked on it. It came out ok in the end, but was alot of work. Did not trust the dealer at that point to do anything right. The fact that in your case and mine they did not acknowledge that it happened is a major flag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
628 Posts
There is a product called DampRid, you should be able to get it at your local walmart and it works wonders for removing moisture from a vehicle. Given the size of the truck and that both the front and rear got wet, I'd suggest getting two of them and putting one in front and one in the back.

I have experience with the product in a car and it worked perfectly and within about 24 hours the car was completely dry inside.

There are multiple options for size and smell, this is the one I used:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/DampRid-Refillable-Moisture-Absorber-Lavender-Vanilla-10-5-oz/38452192

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would get a lawyer to draw up a simple letter making it clear that you are going to ream them if they don't make this right.

I was really disappointed with my first service experience last week; I ask is DEF included at 1st service, service writer says yes. OK great. I didn't read anywhere DEF was included so I confirmed again when dropping off, because it says only 8% left.

I pick up the truck and says 8% left, so I head back inside, service writer calls tech and he says 100% he added DEF to the Blue Colorado that just got the oil change. Service writer tells me it will take a little while for the level indicator to reset. Doesn't seem right to me, but it's at least plausible, so I-95 south and off to the rest of my day. 30 min later the DEF is reading 7%.

Next morning my truck is saying critical low DEF, and gives me a 300 mile countdown. By mid-day it's warning me that the truck speed will be restricted (I'm pretty sure it allows max 15mph without DEF) so I head back to dealer (an hour detour, in middle of a packed day for me) and service writer drives it straight back to a bay and tech comes out and pours 2.5gallons straight in. DEF immediately reads LEVEL OK.

So I already don't have a warm fuzzy feeling that these guys are competent, but we'll see... Your experience is far worse I think, but I couldn't believe they screwed up the very thing I asked them to make sure they did.

The only time I ever got water inside a vehicle, I removed the seats & entire carpet, dried all the moisture from the floorboards by hand with towels, and let it sit in the sun with all doors open I washed and shampoo'd the carpets and then hung them up over several industrial fans for 24hours to fully dry before putting it all back together.

If you don't make them do that (or do it yourself) it will probably stink and drive you nuts forever, maybe even lead to a dangerous mold problem, especially with our lovely FL heat/humidity.

That was a 2day old Nissan Frontier by the way. My first ever 4x4 vehicle and I guess I thought 4x4 meant it was IMPOSSIBLE to get stuck. I got stuck in the first 50ft... of swampy track off the hardpacked road. Water just up past the rocker panels. The door seals were actually very good, but it eventually flooded inside while taking almost an hour to get pulled out (by the PBSO big lifted 4x4 dudes haha)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Picked up the truck and they did not replace the rear carpet and the front padding is still wet underneath. Looks like they replaced the front carpet and seat rail on passenger seat. Car does not smell like before. I spoke with the GM and he would like for me to pass by tomorrow and talk about getting into a 2018. My whole family likes our current color Laser Blue and trail boss package. I know that I can get a 2017 Z71 and add all the options to make it appear like a trail boss but it will not be one. Other option is to get a 2018 ZR2 Midnight edition which my wife hates since its black and front bumper looks like its missing the sides, lol. She is not into the rock crawler look I guess. Our truck has been nothing but problems since day 1, would be best for us to get something else.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I give up, what is Exhaust fluid service?

The newer GM diesel engines inject a fluid in the exhaust system for emissions. A storage tank holds this fluid and injects it to burn off soot in the cat, one reason I passed on the baby max.

Reactions: GraniteBlue05

·
Registered
739 Posts
The newer GM diesel engines inject a fluid in the exhaust system for emissions. A storage tank holds this fluid and injects it to burn off soot in the cat, one reason I passed on the baby max.
DEF is for NOX emissions and has nothing to do with soot in the DPF. They are two separate emissions systems. The cat isn't where the soot is burned off, it's yet a 3rd and separate emissions device. Then of course there is EGR which helps dump some of that soot back into the intake :???: It's a never ending pile of emissions systems.

EDIT: To stay on topic, Op that really sucks. I don't want to think about having to deal with something like that from a dealer. I'd probably just want to trade it in as well. I'd LOVE to have a ZR2, I've been considering buying that hood for my truck

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
DEF is for NOX emissions and has nothing to do with soot in the DPF. They are two separate emissions systems. The cat isn't where the soot is burned off, it's yet a 3rd and separate emissions device. Then of course there is EGR which helps dump some of that soot back into the intake :???: It's a never ending pile of emissions systems.

EDIT: To stay on topic, Op that really sucks. I don't want to think about having to deal with something like that from a dealer. I'd probably just want to trade it in as well. I'd LOVE to have a ZR2, I've been considering buying that hood for my truck
Hmm. I think the RKS ram-air would suit your street killer look better:

More stealth, probably cheaper.. maybe. CarID has them for 750ish.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Trade in could be mutually beneficial. Used inventory is so tight for trucks that the dealer can sell the used truck for basically the cost of new.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Well first off this is not catastrophic. Wet is self correcting and should get back to normal.

But the dealer is dead wrong for not saying anything and not offering you something in return be it oil changes etc. This is the kind of dealer practice GM and other MFG have fought for years but every time they try to close them down they get hammered.

I would not expect them to buy it back or any of that but they should offer you some kind of comp and if there are any future issues due to this they will in writing take care of it.

Now to be honest I refuse to let dealers wash my cars. When I take them in I stop them on the spot as their washes often leave a vehicle to the point where I have to go home and rewash it to remove all the drips and spots.

I took in a fully detailed GTP once for a minor recall. They bring it back all wet and spotted. I was like what the hell!. Why did you want a perfectly clean car and leave it much worse than when I brought it in. They noted never to was it again if I brought it in. Well I never went back.

The sad part is raising min wage to $15 is not going to make it any smarter.

It is sad when a business makes a mistake and do not own the problem.

You want catastrophic. Years ago my buddy with a new S-10 took his truck in for a lose AC belt. They took it to the shop that installed the aftermarket AC unit as it was a base model. The driver ran a red light and got t boned. The truck was buckled.

They were going to fix it with only 2000 miles and give it back to him. He refused and they finally met with the owner who got him a new truck. That should never had happened. They had insurance and should have covered a new truck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks like the dealer wants another chance. He said he would replace everything but the passenger seat which got completely wet. GM has stepped in and will call me back to see what they are going to do. The issue I see is that it is going to be 5 weeks with this truck having some part of the interior wet. How can they be so sure that mold spores are not growing somewhere inside this cab.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Looks like the dealer wants another chance. He said he would replace everything but the passenger seat which got completely wet. GM has stepped in and will call me back to see what they are going to do. The issue I see is that it is going to be 5 weeks with this truck having some part of the interior wet. How can they be so sure that mold spores are not growing somewhere inside this cab.
Either they or you need to open the truck up and get air blowers in there.

To be honest they should pull the seats out and carpet up and dry it out no matter replace or not.

They should have used water extractors and set blowers in the cab to circulate air. They can also put packs in that absorbe the moisture.

The truth is they should have contacted a restoration company that has water extraction equipment like Coit and dried it out.

They also put in dry packs to absorbe he moisture.

This is not like major flood damage with mud or soaked up to the dash. We are looking at seats, carpet and padding. There are ways to dry this and it can be done if they really want to.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Either they or you need to open the truck up and get air blowers in there.

To be honest they should pull the seats out and carpet up and dry it out no matter replace or not.

They should have used water extractors and set blowers in the cab to circulate air. They can also put packs in that absorbe the moisture.

The truth is they should have contacted a restoration company that has water extraction equipment like Coit and dried it out.

They also put in dry packs to absorbe he moisture.

This is not like major flood damage with mud or soaked up to the dash. We are looking at seats, carpet and padding. There are ways to dry this and it can be done if they really want to.
I mentioned this in post#6. If you wait, things rust, mold starts. You can not wait hoping the f'ing dealer will do you right. Take pictures, log hours spent and push for compensation, mention lawsuit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.