Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So funny story today.. I went to my normal dealer for my oil change and tire rotation, and told the service guy that my steering wheel leather wrap was is coming unstitched and starting to peel off on the back.. They proceeded to tell me that since it's a trim piece and I didn't buy my vehicle there they will not fix it under the factory warranty.. Mind you this is a 2016 Z71 with just over 18k miles on it purchased last September.

They told me to bring it back to the dealer i purchased it from.. has anyone else heard of this bullshi* or is there any truth to this since it's a "trim" piece. They didn't hesitate to handle the 2 free oil changes though.

·
Registered
754 Posts
It is B.S.
If they are a factory authorized dealer they are obligated to repair it under warranty.
Trim is part of the vehicle and thus warranty.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured as much, but wanted to confirm that i'm totally not losing what's left of my mind. I even called the dealer that i bought it from and they said the same thing any piece of trim is part of the vehicle and covered under warranty... They were really cool about it, we even had a good laugh and basically said if i wanted to come down even though it's over an hour away they'll take care of everything when ever I want.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would go to the Chevy web site and file a complaint. I've had a small issue I could not get addressed so I filed a complaint and I had a call from the dealer in less than two hours.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
So funny story today.. I went to my normal dealer for my oil change and tire rotation, and told the service guy that my steering wheel leather wrap was is coming unstitched and starting to peel off on the back.. They proceeded to tell me that since it's a trim piece and I didn't buy my vehicle there they will not fix it under the factory warranty.. Mind you this is a 2016 Z71 with just over 18k miles on it purchased last September.

They told me to bring it back to the dealer i purchased it from.. has anyone else heard of this bullshi* or is there any truth to this since it's a "trim" piece. They didn't hesitate to handle the 2 free oil changes though.
I would let GM know what that particular dealer is telling people. I have no idea if it would do any good but what the heck(probably not since they told you this BS). I think I would also talk to the service manager and ask them if they tell people this because they don't have the skills required to change a freeking steering wheel. I would also throw in things like "its ok, just tell me you don't know how, no need to lie to cover up your incompetence", "why do you hire Jiffy Lube trained technicians?" you know, stuff like that...

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
How minor of an issue is worth bringing up? The seat stitching is pulling apart on my driver's seat. It's only about an inch long but I've only got 11000 miles. That worth taking in?
YES....... there have been numerous problems exactly as yours discussed here on the forums and they all were fixed under warranty. You paid alot for your truck, let them make it right before it all comes undone even more.

·
Registered
850 Posts
For me any problem or concern I have while it's under warranty i would take it in. Make them fix it.

Reactions: madcratebuilder

·
Registered
303 Posts
How minor of an issue is worth bringing up? The seat stitching is pulling apart on my driver's seat. It's only about an inch long but I've only got 11000 miles. That worth taking in?
I had a couple of stitches on the passenger seat that were unraveling. l took it in and I thought they'd just re stitch it but they replaced the entire bottom cushion.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I would.

1. Cancel the oil change and any other service work with that dealer.
2. Let the dealer know that I will be outing them on coloradofans.net and fileing a complaint with GM.
3. Never take a vehicle there or buy anything from them.

Out with the dealer's name so that others will not be screwed with by them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To follow up on this....So i called the service manager sam desousa and his exact words... you didn't buy the vehicle here we have no loyalty to service your vehicle, you also gave us a bad survey so why should we service your vehicle.

when I told him I would be be contacting the BBB, Rhode Island Auto Dealers Association, local news station consumer advocate division, as well as sharing this on social media was told by this service manager I don't care do what ever you want to do

Dealership - Paul Masse Chevrolet in East Providence - Pawtucket Chevrolet Source

I also went to the dealer where i purchased the vehicle, they ordered a new steering wheel and said it will be here in 3 days.. took all of 20 minutes.

·
Registered
850 Posts
To follow up on this....So i called the service manager sam desousa and his exact words... you didn't buy the vehicle here we have no loyalty to service your vehicle, you also gave us a bad survey so why should we service your vehicle.

when I told him I would be be contacting the BBB, Rhode Island Auto Dealers Association, local news station consumer advocate division, as well as sharing this on social media was told by this service manager I don't care do what ever you want to do

Dealership - Paul Masse Chevrolet in East Providence - Pawtucket Chevrolet Source

I also went to the dealer where i purchased the vehicle, they ordered a new steering wheel and said it will be here in 3 days.. took all of 20 minutes.
Sounds like a horrible dealership there obligated by chevy to fix it chevys warranty is cost to cost regardless of where you bought it

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i made sure to include this in my emails to the places i listed

Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty (including tires):
Coverage is for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever comes first.

3 years/36,000 Miles Limited Warranty Coverage
Chevrolet is committed to ensuring satisfaction with your new vehicle. Your Chevrolet dealer also wants you to be completely satisfied and invites you to return for all your service needs, both during and after the warranty period. To help keep things in proper working order, Chevrolet will warrant each 2016 model year from bumper-to-bumper for 3 years or 36,000 miles (whichever comes first; see dealer for details) with no deductible, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs that are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship.

The below is directly from page 4 of the New Vehicle warranty booklet.
Repairs Covered
The warranty covers repairs to correct any vehicle defect, not slight noise, vibrations, or other normal characteristics of the vehicle due to materials or workmanship occurring during the warranty period. Needed repairs will be performed using new, remanufactured, or refurbished parts.

Obtaining Repairs
To obtain warranty repairs, take the vehicle to a Chevrolet dealer facility within the warranty period and request the needed repairs. Reasonable time must be allowed for the dealer to perform necessary repairs

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Dealership sounds like it is owned by a dbag, or run by a dbag...either way the dealership should be avoided at all cost.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Some Dealers are just complete assholes. I'm glad you are reporting them. There's no question that you are in the right. You should definitely tell Chevrolet too. Tell them how poorly you were treated. You can just call them and start a repair order complaint. It's easy. Forget emails, just call and act really nice and heartbroken about the way you were treated lol. Ask for their help and for them to compensate you. You might be surprised. Good luck. Thanks for the warning about another shitty dealership.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
I figured as much, but wanted to confirm that i'm totally not losing what's left of my mind. I even called the dealer that i bought it from and they said the same thing any piece of trim is part of the vehicle and covered under warranty... They were really cool about it, we even had a good laugh and basically said if i wanted to come down even though it's over an hour away they'll take care of everything when ever I want.
Yea....and that right there - ruins your impression and/or reputation.

It's too bad - Dealerships being 'stupid' only makes you take your business elsewhere. They do get 'paid' for warranty work.

Although - a dealership that is extremely busy with 'regular' work, is more likely to turn down (or discourage) warranty work because they don't make as much money performing warranty work than regular work.

I'd take my business to your main dealer....if they're close enough.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.