Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck was in the shop recently for a scheduled maintenance. While performing the maintenance the technician discovered a leak in my front drivers side axle and stated that the gasket needed replacement. The truck sat in the shop for three days because they needed to order to part from GM. Approximately two weeks after replacement I wake up in the morning to find my truck dead. The battery was so depleted that I could not even unlock the vehicle without the key. I tried jumping the vehicle but had no success. Since it it under warranty I had roadside tow it to the dealership for repair. They did not find any problems with the truck other than the battery was critically low. They did not replace it because it supposedly passed all tests and just gave it a charge. I?m concerned because they were not able to find the root cause of this issue and am afraid of it happening again. Has anyone has similar problems? My understanding is that the truck is supposed to have a system in place to prevent this from happening to the battery.

Vehicle: 2016 GMC Canyon all terrain extended cab V6
Mileage: 23000
Purchased new roughly a year ago.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Not yet...
But I typically change to an Optima.
My last 2005 Colorado went 11 years without a battery problem after the Optima.
I guess the owner that bought it from my trade is still using it.
Hoping Optima makes a replacement for our trucks.

Keith,
Marietta, GA

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
My truck was in the shop recently for a scheduled maintenance. While performing the maintenance the technician discovered a leak in my front drivers side axle and stated that the gasket needed replacement. The truck sat in the shop for three days because they needed to order to part from GM. Approximately two weeks after replacement I wake up in the morning to find my truck dead. The battery was so depleted that I could not even unlock the vehicle without the key. I tried jumping the vehicle but had no success. Since it it under warranty I had roadside tow it to the dealership for repair. They did not find any problems with the truck other than the battery was critically low. They did not replace it because it supposedly passed all tests and just gave it a charge. I?m concerned because they were not able to find the root cause of this issue and am afraid of it happening again. Has anyone has similar problems? My understanding is that the truck is supposed to have a system in place to prevent this from happening to the battery.

Vehicle: 2016 GMC Canyon all terrain extended cab V6
Mileage: 23000
Purchased new roughly a year ago.
I was under the impression that was the case too. Do you have anything plugged into the accessory socket? I don't think it will kill that but not sure. Also I think they are fused to be switched with the key from the factory but maybe yours isn't. Hopefully there isn't a draw somewhere. My guess is the battery is bad, too many time they get tested incorrectly.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I had the same thing 6 months back. End result was bad battery replaced under warranty. It will work fine but after it sits for a week in my case it was dead. The battery did pass the chemistry test with one of those Advanced auto scan tools ( a quality one). But it failed a load test which is the only real way to check a battery. Load it up for a 100 to 150 amps or so and see if it stays above 9.6volts for like 30 seconds. They have a listing for how many amps and how long for your truck. 2 year old battery no good. Been fine since I got the new one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses I appreciate it guys. Only thing I have plugged in is a cable that charges my iPhone. I leave it plugged in all the time even if my phone isn?t charging. I have had it plugged in since I purchased the truck and never had any problems.Going to try and see if I can get the dealer to replace the battery while it?s still under warranty. I hope it?s just a battery and nothing wrong with the electrical system. Everything was working fine until the axle was worked on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dead Issue

... The truck sat in the shop for three days... two weeks (later) ... I wake up in the morning to find my truck dead. The battery was so depleted that I could not even unlock the vehicle without the key. I tried jumping the vehicle but had no success. Since it it under warranty I had roadside tow it to the dealership for repair. They did not find any problems with the truck other than the battery was critically low. They did not replace it because it supposedly passed all tests and just gave it a charge. I 'm concerned... not able to find the root cause of this issue... Has anyone has similar problems?... My understanding is that the truck is supposed to have a system in place to prevent this from happening to the battery...
Parasitic drain may occur if your vehicle sits unused for two months. I store mine with a Battery tender on it. But in your case, there is something wrong. Take your truck to a auto parts shop and have them do a load test on the battery. If it passes, check the system for a parasitic draw with a voltmeter on the negative side to see if a leak exists. If so start pulling fuses until you find the culprit.

zoz

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
The new Delco battery’s are crap. GM sold off the division and they just fail 4 years or less anymore.

I use to use them in the past and got 13-18 years from them but no more. I went to Optima and now I am back to about 10 years or more.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Go to Autozone or Sam's Club and have them run a test, (No charge) the dealers are notorious for saying the battery is ok, just needs a charge!!!
Been thru that crap....Unless you have something draining the battery, you will go thru the same thing again, trust me!!

·
Registered
639 Posts
You can check a parasitic draw. The allowable draw should be a bout 20 to 40mah anything over 50mah is to much and you have a problem. It will pull a couple of amps right after shut down but after 2 to 3 minutes you should be at 30mah give or take. I believe mine was a 28mah when i checked

·
Registered
110 Posts
You said "Going to try and see if I can get the dealer to replace the battery while it?s still under warranty."

Did you ever get the dealer to replace it under warranty?

My 2015 has set for about 30 days for the last 2 winters while I was away and today I got home and the battery was @ 1.99 volts. I charged it up to 13.66volts in about 6 hours. All I had on was the alarm blinking on the dash.

12/15/17-Took to Chevrolet dealer and they said the battery didn't pass the "load test" so they replaced it under the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Vehicle only has 10,500 miles on it and about 3 months left on warranty.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.