Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 canyon. When I turn the lighting knob from auto to off. All of the lights go full bright at night. Is there a way to have those lights work like they do in auto, dimmable? It's very annoying and blinding. I have driven full size trucks and my wife's equinox, and they all work correctly.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a vertical roller in my 17 Colorado to the left of the light switch. That is the dimmer for the dash lights.

I don't know that I've tried using the dimmer after having switched the lights to off though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's right there is a reostat but it doesn't work with the lights off. I would like some sort of mod to use it when the outside lights are off.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
That's right there is a reostat but it doesn't work with the lights off. I would like some sort of mod to use it when the outside lights are off.
I played with this last night on my way home. If I turn the automatic lights off, I still have control of my dimmer thumbwheel. Can turn them effectively off or to a brightness level.

It did appear that the the light sensor that turns the headlights on in auto mode was still functional: At dusk, I did not get the full brightness of the dash you get in bright sunlight. It is cloudy again today, so I can't play around with that to see if in manual light mode, bright sun, I get the bright setting on the dash.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I know its an old thread, but yetis did you happen to find an answer or mod to get this to work?

I work overnight shifts, and like to sit in my car with car running for a bit before heading to the building. but once you put the truck in Park and turn the lights off, the lights go full bright, and the dimmer no longer works.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Enlighten me on a car out there that CAN do this...

You can turn the screen off if that helps.

Sent from my VIVO 5 using Tapatalk
I remember being able to turn off the exterior lights while the engine was on without the interior lights going to daytime (full) brightness in the 2015 model, unlike the newer models.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I remember being able to turn off the exterior lights while the engine was on without the interior lights going to daytime (full) brightness in the 2015 model, unlike the newer models.
Yeah, I get what the OP was asking, and I also would like control of brightness when turning the "auto" to "off".

But this other person was to turn ALL lights to OFF, which I have never seen. At least not anything 2010+.

Sent from my VIVO 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can turn the screen off if that helps.
My 2018 radio screen cannot be turned off, the screen will display black, but the backlight is clearly still on and bleeding through the LCD. It's definitely not pleasant.

I also don't understand why when I turn auto lights OFF, the dimmer stops working. You'd think auto OFF means MANUAL which means only the dimmer switch should be controlling things. It makes no sense. The software team at GM must have gone through a bunch of firing and re-hiring during the design and test phases of this part of the truck :/ it's just nuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.