Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after installing a 4: RC lift kit, both front CV Axle are leaking grease off the outer boot.

Looking at it closely I can see the rubber on the boot is torn. I don't remember them getting hit or abused during the install but apparently something tored up the boot.

Any of you guys seens this before?

Looking at some info online it looks like the axle is just pressed into the differential and I should just be able to pry it out, any tips on how to do this?

·
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors
274 Posts
Take a picture and lets see if your angles are maxed out causing axle bind

·
Super Moderator
4,277 Posts

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
So after installing a 4: RC lift kit, both front CV Axle are leaking grease off the outer boot.

Looking at it closely I can see the rubber on the boot is torn. I don't remember them getting hit or abused during the install but apparently something tored up the boot.

Any of you guys seens this before?

Looking at some info online it looks like the axle is just pressed into the differential and I should just be able to pry it out, any tips on how to do this?
yep, use a prybar or big ass screwdriver and pop it out. I've had good luck with kind of working it out by wiggling the axle and prying at the same time.

Be careful with around the boots, they are kind of soft. :wink2: Oh, you knew that. sorry, j/k

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
My driver's side axle seal gave up the ghost. I'm not sure if the 2" RC leveling kit was the cause but after it was repaired I installed the diff drop kit for extra security. My CV boots were fine though.

Here is my story:
http://coloradofans.com/forums/185-...6209-leaking-front-axle-seal-lift-blamed.html
My guess would be the seal was damaged when the axle was put back in. (or sometime during the lift process) Not because of the axle angle. That's my opinion anyway. But, yes, diff drop is good.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here are some picture, one from top looking down, driver side from the front, passenger side from the rear. These angels are actually better than with the leveling kit.

Auto part Suspension Suspension part Engine Vehicle

Auto part Suspension part Suspension Motor vehicle Vehicle

Auto part Suspension Engine Exhaust system Vehicle

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another problem, no one seem to have the CV Axle, none of the chain Auto Parts have them or can get them, called a couple of the local guys and they cant not get it either.

I hope I don't have to end up at the dealer with this.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Why not just get the boots and replace the boots instead of the whole axel??

·
Registered
10,627 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I am looking at just getting a boot, will stop by NAPA on the way home.

There is some info online how to replace the boot and it doesn't look to bad.

I am wondering if these boots are some what universal, I can't find one specifically for our truck either.

I found the CV Axle but is close to $200, yikes.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Another problem, no one seem to have the CV Axle, none of the chain Auto Parts have them or can get them, called a couple of the local guys and they cant not get it either.

I hope I don't have to end up at the dealer with this.
I wonder why they are so hard to find? Maybe aftermarket hasn't decided to make/rebuild them yet? To new I guess. Maybe you can get a boot from the dealer for cheap.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah by the looks of things it is unique to the 15 up Colorado/Canyon and the aftermarket does not make it. Considering most of our trucks still under warranty this doesn't surprise me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
After my Bilstein install on the front I had a boot go out. Looked like the shock and or bolt was dragged across the boot where it was banded. Man, what a mess! Wee tiny slit next to the band is all it took. Fixed under the warranty. It turned out you can't replace the outside boot without removing the inside boot! Weird engineering but the GM mechanic was totally dumbfounded when he found out he needed two boots as you have to go from the upper downwards to replace the outside boot. I lost five days of use (but a nice loaner was butter on the bread) whilst they ordered the inner boot after consulting GM. Very weak rubber.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Yeah I am looking at just getting a boot, will stop by NAPA on the way home.

There is some info online how to replace the boot and it doesn't look to bad.

I am wondering if these boots are some what universal, I can't find one specifically for our truck either.

I found the CV Axle but is close to $200, yikes.
Do you think there is at least a possibility they will replace under warranty? Not likely but there are some good dealers out there...Might be worth a try to go by and talk to the service writer and maybe the service manager. I think making it clear the only way they will get the job is warranty. If they are slow you have a chance I bet....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My temporary, maybe not repair. So far this patch has been in place for about 100 miles with no issue, lets see how long it lasts.
At least it keeps things clean until I can get the boot/axle replaced.

Tire Auto part Automotive tire Wheel Automotive wheel system

Reactions: Poo-Shivers

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
My temporary, maybe not repair. So far this patch has been in place for about 100 miles with no issue, lets see how long it lasts.
At least it keeps things clean until I can get the boot/axle replaced.

View attachment 266673
is that a tire patch? like for a bike tire tube? cool....

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
is that a tire patch? like for a bike tire tube? cool....
It is, LOL. I am curious to see how long it lasts, nothing to lose right.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
Red 2016 Punisher Z71
3 Posts

Any of you guys seens this beforeLooking at some info online it looks like the axle is just pressed into the differential and I should just be able to pry it out, any tips on how to do this?
Broke 4 front cv axels with my 4inch RC lift in a years time..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts