Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Take two]

Mods: please don't merge this with the Dev Menu thread as it's a very different topic. This is meant for folks to discuss the possibility of developing/installing a completely different operating system from MyLink/Infotainment.

The original thread starts here: http://coloradofans.com/forums/201-...hting/235017-mylink-dev-menu.html#post4489162 and OS chat continues for maybe 5-6 posts. To recap:

I've searched high and low for more information on this, but the most I seem to find is putting the Infotainment in some kind of dev mode so you can play videos. While you're driving.

Cool story, bro.

Wondering if anyone in the community is familiar with the Infotainment system, how it's booted, whether you can root and install a custom OS... It's already tied into plenty of truck control features; I would imagine there have to be more lurking beneath the normal controls. Seems like there would be possibilities for controlling the built-in antennas in addition to other features that could be turned on/off. My hunch is there's a lot of possibilities, but doesn't seem like there's been a whole lot of car hacking beyond the diesel tunes.

All I know so far is that there's some version of an open source OS written by Bosch - source code can be found here: Bosch Open Source Software. Anybody else been futzing around with this stuff or know more about the possibilities?
What's known so far is the OS seems to be built off of QNX. I also signed up at developer.gm.com - There are resources for app development, but they won't allow me access to meaningful APIs without being a "commercial customer".

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would imagine that those APIs are what the GM Navigation and NavTool guys are using for the custom buttons and settings in their products. Might be worth a call to them to see if you can talk to one of their programmers.

Wouldn't be surprised to find that the bootloader is locked by default on the module, though, so I'd be adjusting my expectations accordingly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Please keep us updated on what you can find out @thewams

I would love to have more control/adjustment of the radio equalizer. Bass, Mid, and Treble just doesn't quite do it... Not to mention all the other features that could probably be unlocked.

Thanks!

·
Registered
968 Posts
The APIs through developer.gm.com are for third party companies who want to deploy apps that run on the head unit (like the Weather Channel app) or that use the handful of remote calls (like the GM phone app that can query piddly trivia like fuel level). The main reason you have to be a company to get access is the ongoing support requirement:

https://developer.gm.com/Support/tech-faq#tech7

You're never going to find a legit-through-GM way to replace the actual OS. Even the commercial API is high level. Apparently the head-unit apps are running in some kind of glorified browser. No wonder the software is so fricking flaky... those apps are built on a lame node-based javascript stack:

https://developer.gm.com/ngi

Reactions: thewams
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.