Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intended to do a how-to, but this ended up being more of a pictorial of what I did. If you have questions, feel free to ask. I'm just too drained to do anything more with it after working on this for two days. ;-)

Write-up on my amateur radio blog

I also am adding a pic of the finished product as a teaser.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That is a nice clean install!

Thanks for the write-up and pic.
Thanks and you are most welcome!

Damn, that looks great! Nice job!
Thanks man!

Where'd the Cat5 jack come from??
I got the USB and Cat5 panel jacks from AliExpress. It took about 2 weeks for them to arrive from China, but they are well made, work great, and look nice.
EDIT: I went back to my order and found the link.. they have a TON of stuff: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/737142

Super clean install. Look forward to doing something like this in the future.
Thanks and be sure you share your results!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks and you are most welcome!
I got the USB and Cat5 panel jacks from AliExpress. It took about 2 weeks for them to arrive from China, but they are well made, work great, and look nice.
EDIT: I went back to my order and found the link.. they have a TON of stuff: https://www.aliexpress.com/store/737142

Sorry, I meant where's it wired to? I did a small search and it didn't turn up much.. One person thinking about running a WiFi to Ethernet box. I was wondering what you had managed to do/build. Because if that's directly into the same network as the truck's wifi, I'm going to need to do that haha

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
The RJ45 jack is for the microphone handset. 2M radio mikes have buttons for dialing/input to the radio that require more wire for data transmission than CB mikes do.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry, I meant where's it wired to? I did a small search and it didn't turn up much.. One person thinking about running a WiFi to Ethernet box. I was wondering what you had managed to do/build. Because if that's directly into the same network as the truck's wifi, I'm going to need to do that haha
See below...

The RJ45 jack is for the microphone handset. 2M radio mikes have buttons for dialing/input to the radio that require more wire for data transmission than CB mikes do.
This. The handheld mic has a 6P RJ-12 plug on it. However, it keys/centers itself into an 8P RJ-45 jack just fine.

I started cutting out a cardboard template for the same setup. Are you able to provide dimensions?
I am going to be pulling it out soon to re-work some of my USB cables. I will see if I can take the time to measure, makbe even make a SketchUp file that could be 3d printed for the less tool savvy folks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any trouble with GPS with head unit down there? I have mine on top of infotainment center but was thinking about putting a heat shield around the back, sides, and top. Also found stake mount works well. You can snake coax down along fuel fill lines and stick ground screw into bottom of stake hole.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.