Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
@Mods - probably will get moved... and will not get the attention I want but... I'll still post it here.

No joke, I've had this truck since March of 2016. On the third turbo (bent fin issue every winter) like clock work.

I've had an engine light every 2-3 months, truck visits the shop probably 3-4 times per year.

I'm leaning towards trading the truck in for another diesel just because I love the the power and fuel economy. So my question is: What truck would you trade it in if you had the option to trade / upgrade to another truck? Leaning towards Merica line vs going Japanese.

馃殮馃ぉ

Registered
Since you asked what I would do...

I would do my best to hold off until I could drive a hybrid Taco.
I would also drive a Ranger and V6 Twin but would be leery of the 8 speed.
Only midsized fit in my garage. I wouldn't look at diesels if trading for those reasons. Sounds like you had enough fun the first time.

Registered
Since you're leaning towards another diesel (I would be, too) that means American makes only. Nissan was the only "foreign" truck with a diesel and they're killing off the Cummins option for the Titan XD because it's awful. Fuel economy is pretty much as bad as a gas engine.

Looking to buy new or used? If new and you can wait a few more months or so then I would take a hard look at the GM 1500 with the new 3.0 Duramax as well as the 2020 Ram 1500 with the EcoDiesel. Maybe even the Ford F-150 with the 3.0 PowerStroke, but I haven't really been following how it's been doing. The pre-2020 EcoDiesels are generally OK but not nearly as ironed-out as other engines.

If you're thinking 3/4-ton or up diesel then I'd be happy with either a Ram or a GM, they're both solid trucks.

Non-diesel and no need for an HD truck to tow/haul? I'd go with a Ram 1500 with the HEMI all day long but might also consider an F-150 with either the 2.7 or 3.5 EcoBoost.

So many choices and options it's not really an easy question to answer.

Notice I didn't say another twin, gas or diesel? Not a knock against these "little" trucks but for me personally, they are just a little too small for everything we want to do. The back seat is cramped for anyone over 5'5" sitting behind me and I'd like to be able to tow a bit more weight/have more payload capacity for something heavier than we currently have.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your suggestions. I have been leaning on the 2020 GM 3.0 diesels - they look tasty at the moment... PROBABLY not extreme cold tested... but I can be a guinea pig again..

I tried to fit a infant child seat facing the rear of the bed... and there is no room for my wife in the front passenger.

I'd trade it in for new and I'm going to stick w the 1/4 ton. Anything bigger is just for ego, since I won't tow anything larger than a 4-5k lb travel trailer.

One thing I REALLY disliked is the seat discomfort. I'll be sure to weight that into my buying decision next time.

Registered
I have been leaning on the 2020 GM 3.0 diesels
I'd trade it in for new and I'm going to stick w the 1/4 ton.
If you want the new 3.0 then you'd be looking at the 1500 (1/2-ton), if you want to stick with 1/4-ton then you're stuck with the twins and the 2.8 diesel.

Registered
I could not handle the reliability issues such as the turbo failures and DEF heater problems from cold weather so I traded mine. I have a Chevy 1 ton SRW diesel for work. I wouldn鈥檛 buy a diesel again. They sound great but just aren鈥檛 reliable with the new emissions. I have less problems with the HD but still have them none the less. I traded my canyon for a Sierra with the 6.2 and the next work truck will likely be the gas 6.6 and I tow with it, a lot. If you do go diesel again, only go HD as the warranties are much better and longer.

Discounts on the 1/2 ton full sizes are too good to pass up sometimes. I just got a loaded Sierra with the 6.2 for $4k more than my all terrain canyon was 3.5 years ago. It will keep value better too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
There are a few of the new F150 Powerstrokes driving around here now. None of that setup is brand new, even the engine is an older more proven design (but so was the 2.8), so I don鈥檛 think you鈥檇 be taking too much of a leap getting into it. Plus you could be looking at year 2 of that setup, which often has a lot less issues.

I don鈥檛 know if I would personally trust GM to iron out a brand new diesel motor if they couldn鈥檛 get the previously proven setup right. At least not to be the first adopter again. But I also (sadly) do not at all like any of the new GM full size trucks 1500 all the way up.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I'm ultimately going to stick with Chevy as my real good friend owns a Chevy dealership in S. Minnesota. He has nissan and VW.. I guess I'll wait it out one more year and get the current issues fixed then trade it in. I hate that the turbo goes out every winter! And the seats... so uncomfortable.

Thanks everyone again for commenting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts