Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Colorado LT1 Crew Cab
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have had luck using wd-40 to clean contracts in switches. The thing is sometimes it's hard to get the oil/cleaner into the switch. Soak it good and work the crap out of it.
As for the trailer if all the brake lights work then that's not it.
It very well could be the switch.
Did you double check that other switch under the dash on the brake pedal??
If so sounds like it could be the set switch, the right way to do this is the test procedure, it's posted in this thread I believe.
If you are feeling lucky you could just go for it and get the switch. about $120 shipped. Looks like you'll need a steering wheel puller and some regular tools is all.
It is an automatic trans right? If not there is a clutch switch too.
Also, fuse 10 under the hood. Need power there.

I've been using 'CRC QD Electronics Cleaner'. I'll do it for a while more and try WD40 as well. :) I'd love for this to work.
I pulled the second switch (on the left) from the brake pedal. It was operating and I tested it for continuity when open and it had continuity.
I'll be honest, I looked at the test procedures and don't know enough to do some of those steps. Thank you for the reminder - if further cleaning of the switch doesn't work, it's probably time for me to learn more about all of that. :)
I may end up trying to get a whole new lever.
It is an automatic.
I checked the CC fuse along with the STOP fuse for continuity early on in the process. I'll probably go back and check the CC fuse again just to be sure.

Thanks for your thorough response!

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I've been using 'CRC QD Electronics Cleaner'. I'll do it for a while more and try WD40 as well. :) I'd love for this to work.
I pulled the second switch (on the left) from the brake pedal. It was operating and I tested it for continuity when open and it had continuity.
I'll be honest, I looked at the test procedures and don't know enough to do some of those steps. Thank you for the reminder - if further cleaning of the switch doesn't work, it's probably time for me to learn more about all of that. :)
I may end up trying to get a whole new lever.
It is an automatic.
I checked the CC fuse along with the STOP fuse for continuity early on in the process. I'll probably go back and check the CC fuse again just to be sure.

Thanks for your thorough response!
make sure they seat against the pedal bracket when your foot is off the brake. I think you know what I mean. Test it in the truck by pushing and releasing the pedal. I had one on my old Colly that the cheap mounting thing would let the switch slip loose acting as if the pedal was pushed (braking). Of course the cruise won't work when it thinks the pedal is pushed.

To test the set switch follow the power from the fuse through the switch to the module. Start at step 2, there should be power there after the switch to the module. It shows you the wire colors so it's not to hard. Then you have to check the resistances though the switch with it unplugged.

Reactions: RJVThunderbolt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm still planning to work on this issue but it has taken a back seat right now to a couple other projects.

I'm about to ask what may be a stupid question: What is the C204 and where would I find it? (I may have too many questions on the diagnostic steps to make it reasonable even if I knew where the C204 was. :))

My next logical step may be to crack open the steering column and work on the circuitry/continuity of the actual switch. I'm guessing that is where I'll end up anyway and that is something I will be able to understand. Thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I took a break from this to work on some other things. Today, I was coming out of the grocery store and unlocked the truck. I noticed that only one of the license plate lights came on when I unlocked it. I stopped at the parts store, replaced the bulb, and I have Cruise Control!!

Add those lights to the list to check. :) Does this even make sense?

Anyhow - Thank you all for your contributions. I learned quite a bit. I appreciate it!

The culprit:

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I took a break from this to work on some other things. Today, I was coming out of the grocery store and unlocked the truck. I noticed that only one of the license plate lights came on when I unlocked it. I stopped at the parts store, replaced the bulb, and I have Cruise Control!!

Add those lights to the list to check. :) Does this even make sense?

Anyhow - Thank you all for your contributions. I learned quite a bit. I appreciate it!

The culprit:
View attachment 395377
Missed your last post....
What?!?!?! License plate lamp? Are you kidding? No this makes no sense at all. But stranger things have happened I guess. Makes me wonder if you don't have some kind of short between the park lights and the brake lights.
But if it works that's what matters.

Reactions: RJVThunderbolt
21 - 25 of 25 Posts