Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Chevy Colorado LT1 Crew Cab
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I searched for cruise control and found nothing recent here. The posts I saw didn't answer my exact questions.)

I bought the truck yesterday from a used car lot. On the way home, I figured out that the cruise control wasn't working. After doing some research, I did the following:
  • Checked continuity of 10 amp Cruise Control fuse - good
  • Checked continuity of 20 amp STOP fuse - good
  • Checked brake lights - After passing mandatory pre-sale state inspection and a 90 minute drive home, there were no brake lights!!!
  • Replaced brake light switch above brake pedal which restored the brake lights (and reportedly could fix the cruise control) - After replacing, I was able to fix the old, stuck switch but will go with the new one in case the old one would get stuck again.
Still no cruise control light on the instrument panel when I turn it on and it still doesn't work.

My questions:
  1. Will there be a 'reset' time in the ECM before it recognizes that the brake switch has been fixed and turns the cruise control back on? If so, how long/how many cycles?
  2. If I force an ECM reset by unhooking the negative on the battery, will the radio lock?
  3. What is the switch that is next to the brake light switch? I pulled it and checked for continuity and it works - I'm just wondering.
  4. If it doesn't just need an ECM reset to activate, what should be my next steps in troubleshooting?
Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Denali CCLB
263 Posts
Are the steering wheel buttons functional via continuity test?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Are the steering wheel buttons functional via continuity test?
Great question. Where would I test that? Everything is on one stick and not the steering wheel. Do I have to disassemble the stick? Blinkers and windshield wipers work.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I don't know... just using dumb mechanic logic here.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Great question. Where would I test that? Everything is on one stick and not the steering wheel. Do I have to disassemble the stick? Blinkers and windshield wipers work.
Double check the brake lights again. Make damn sure they ALL work, including the 3rd light on the cab. 9 times out of 10 it's the brakes/lighting that kills cruise.
There shouldn't be any ECM resetting that needs to be done, it will do that next key on cycle. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Double check the brake lights again. Make damn sure they ALL work, including the 3rd light on the cab. 9 times out of 10 it's the brakes/lighting that kills cruise.
There shouldn't be any ECM resetting that needs to be done, it will do that next key on cycle. Let us know how it goes.
Will do! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
1,726 Posts
In your Owners Manual starting on page 141 a.k.a 3-11 it shows the steps for using your Cruise Control.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2006/chevrolet/colorado/2006_chevrolet_colorado_owners.pdf

Setting Cruise Control
1. Move the cruise control switch to on.
2. Get up to the speed you want.
3. Press in the set button at the end of the lever and release it.
4. Take your foot off the accelerator pedal.

Interesting note it made:
Cruise control will not work if your parking brake is set, or if the master cylinder brake fluid level is low.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Lots of "interesting" tidbits here. I mean if a bulb is out? Who'd a thunk it?

Now wondering if anyone with LEDs disabled their cruise without knowing it...it's completely plausible but sounds right up there with blinker fluid.

Reactions: White016

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Lots of "interesting" tidbits here. I mean if a bulb is out? Who'd a thunk it?

Now wondering if anyone with LEDs disabled their cruise without knowing it...it's completely plausible but sounds right up there with blinker fluid.
I thought that the Master Brake Cylinder level being low would cause the Cruise Control not to work.

It is a quote from the Owners Manual.

Being a Sarcastic Jerk does not help solve an issue for anyone. That is not the point of the Forum.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I thought that the Master Brake Cylinder level being low would cause the Cruise Control not to work.

It is a quote from the Owners Manual.

Being a Sarcastic Jerk does not help solve an issue for anyone. That is not the point of the Forum.
It wasn't meant that way. Save the holier than thou crap for someone else. Now move along.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
In your Owners Manual starting on page 141 a.k.a 3-11 it shows the steps for using your Cruise Control.

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2006/chevrolet/colorado/2006_chevrolet_colorado_owners.pdf

Setting Cruise Control
1. Move the cruise control switch to on.
2. Get up to the speed you want.
3. Press in the set button at the end of the lever and release it.
4. Take your foot off the accelerator pedal.

Interesting note it made:
Cruise control will not work if your parking brake is set, or if the master cylinder brake fluid level is low.
Thanks for the instructions? After lighting up momentarily when it first starts along with all the other lights, with the lever switch on, there is no cruise control light on the instrument panel.

Master cylinder level is good. Checked that in passing as I was going over the engine. No indicator that the parking brake is set but that is a quicky so I went out and pulled the release just to be sure. That's not it either.

I'll be going over the tail lights tomorrow to see what is happening back there.

·
Premium Member
1,726 Posts
Here is from another thread:

Re: Cruise Control does not work. Suggestions please

The problem with the cruise control was the LED lights I installed. I put the stock incadecent lights back in and the brake unit on the trailer works correct and the cruise works. Never thought of the lights because I didn't use cruise until I started traveling which was a while after I installed the LEDs. I feel like an idiot, the simpliest thing I checked last.

Cruise Control does not work. PROBLEM FOUND

thanks yall!! it was the brake switch... we replaced it a few years ago.... i forgot what it was... payed 19 bucks to fix it but hey... better 19 that a couple grand fixing the rear end! thanks yall!

cruise control not working!!

Cruise Control Schematics

Cruise Control Inoperative/Malfunction

Step 1

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check?
Yes? - Go to Step 2
No? - Go to Step 1

Step 2

Diagnostic System Check
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF
2. With a DMM (Digital Multimeter), measure the voltage of the ignition 1 voltage circuit at the back of C204

Does the voltage measure at the B+ (Battery Positive Voltage)?
Yes? Go to Step 3
No? Go to Step 7

Step 3
Important:
The cruise control on/off switch must be turned ON in order to correctly view the set/coast switch resistance value on the DMM.

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Disconnect C204.
3. With a DMM, measure the resistance of the cruise control switch between the ignition 1 voltage circuit and the cruise control set/coast and resume/accelerate switch signal circuit.
4. Individually activate and hold the cruise control function switches while measuring the resistance of the cruise control function switches.

Does the cruise control function switch resistance values measure with the specified values?

Off = O.L.
On = 7.8 K ohm - 8.6 K ohm
Resume = .7 K ohm - 3.0 K ohm
Set = 1.2 K ohm - 1.3 K ohm

Yes? Go to Step 4
No? Go to Step 5

Step 4

Test the cruise control set/coast and resume/accelerate switch signal circuit between the cruise control switch and the powertrain control module (PCM) for the following:
  • A high resistance
  • A short to voltage
  • A short to ground
Did you find and correct the condition?
Yes? Go to Step 10
No? Go to Step 6

Step 5

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the cruise control switch.

Yes? Go to Step 10
No? Go to Step 8

Step 6

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the PCM.

Yes? Go to Step 10
No? Go to Step 9

Step 7

Repair the high resistance in the ignition 1 voltage circuit.

Did you complete the repair?
Yes? Go to Step 10

Step 8

Replace the cruise control switch. Refer to Multifunction, Turn Signal Switch Replacement

Yes? Go to Step 10

Step 9

Replace the PCM. Refer to Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming.

Yes? Go to Step 10

Step 10

Clear the DTC codes
1. Use the scan tool in order to clear the DTCs.
2. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC.

Does the DTC reset?
Yes? Go to Step 2
No? System OK

Cruise Control Stopped Working?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
That is very possible. When I installed LEDs on my 89 Ranger the check brake light would come on and stay on any time I was coasting above 35 mph. I fixed that by installing an incandescent in one of those hitch receiver lights, but I think it would have been easier just to put incandescents back in.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Thanks for the instructions? After lighting up momentarily when it first starts along with all the other lights, with the lever switch on, there is no cruise control light on the instrument panel.

Master cylinder level is good. Checked that in passing as I was going over the engine. No indicator that the parking brake is set but that is a quicky so I went out and pulled the release just to be sure. That's not it either.

I'll be going over the tail lights tomorrow to see what is happening back there.
Don't forget there are like 27 bulbs back there...OK I exaggerated a bit. But seriously, check them all! there is a mess of bulbs back there. Some are double filament too so they can fool you. IIRC there are 2 bulbs --- 2 brake/park lamp bulbs on each side.
And the 3rd light too, I've seen that disable the cruise. Not on these trucks but still, not sure just check it.

Reactions: RJVThunderbolt

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
@RJVThunderbolt
Check out that wiring schematic above. i think I found your other brake switch. Better double check that too. It says TCC (torque convertor control) AND Cruise control release.....I know those switches are mounted with some hokey plastic gizmo. They like to get out of adjustment and come loose. Same for the brake light switch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@RJVThunderbolt
Check out that wiring schematic above. i think I found your other brake switch. Better double check that too. It says TCC (torque convertor control) AND Cruise control release.....I know those switches are mounted with some hokey plastic gizmo. They like to get out of adjustment and come loose. Same for the brake light switch.
I thought that was what it was called but wherever I could find it online it said it was for manual transmission (mine is auto). Regardless, I pulled it out and tested it - continuity is good. I replaced the brake light switch which was stuck in the depressed position. I can play with adjusting that TCC/Cruise release tomorrow if the taillights aren't causing the issue.

Thank all for your help and patience so far. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Upon closer inspection, one of my tail lamp assemblies is cracked. I've ordered replacements from Rock Auto that should be here on Thursday. I'm going to wait for those to come in before worrying any more about this. I'll update in a few days.

I ordered the right and left of this assembly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had to go out of town for the weekend. I was finally able to put in the new tail lamps today. They look great but no luck on this fixing the cruise control.

I was talking to a buddy where I was on Friday night. He was listening to a car repair show on the radio on Saturday morning and someone called in with a cruise control issue like mine. Their suggestion was to spray some contact cleaner into and around the switch on the turn signal lever and work it for a bit. Thinking it may be fate, I tried this to no avail. I would love to hear if anyone else has had success with anything like this.

I pulled the high brake light out to make sure everything looked okay. Everything looks fine and all four bulbs light as expected. Nothing at all causes me concern here.

One thing that concerns me is the trailer light hookup. It looks like an after market kit (maybe they all are??) that is spliced in before the left tail light connector. (I didn't look really close while I was under there because I was hoping the new tail lamp assemblies would fix the problem.) I'm guessing this could be where my issue is. How would I test it? Would I just use a multi-meter and make sure I'm getting DC voltage on pairs of wires for brakes and each of the blinkers?

Thanks for all of the advice and help so far. It's been interesting and I've actually learned some things. I now know more than I ever wanted to about broken cruise control. :)

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I had to go out of town for the weekend. I was finally able to put in the new tail lamps today. They look great but no luck on this fixing the cruise control.

I was talking to a buddy where I was on Friday night. He was listening to a car repair show on the radio on Saturday morning and someone called in with a cruise control issue like mine. Their suggestion was to spray some contact cleaner into and around the switch on the turn signal lever and work it for a bit. Thinking it may be fate, I tried this to no avail. I would love to hear if anyone else has had success with anything like this.

I pulled the high brake light out to make sure everything looked okay. Everything looks fine and all four bulbs light as expected. Nothing at all causes me concern here.

One thing that concerns me is the trailer light hookup. It looks like an after market kit (maybe they all are??) that is spliced in before the left tail light connector. (I didn't look really close while I was under there because I was hoping the new tail lamp assemblies would fix the problem.) I'm guessing this could be where my issue is. How would I test it? Would I just use a multi-meter and make sure I'm getting DC voltage on pairs of wires for brakes and each of the blinkers?

Thanks for all of the advice and help so far. It's been interesting and I've actually learned some things. I now know more than I ever wanted to about broken cruise control. :)
I have had luck using wd-40 to clean contracts in switches. The thing is sometimes it's hard to get the oil/cleaner into the switch. Soak it good and work the crap out of it.
As for the trailer if all the brake lights work then that's not it.
It very well could be the switch.
Did you double check that other switch under the dash on the brake pedal??
If so sounds like it could be the set switch, the right way to do this is the test procedure, it's posted in this thread I believe.
If you are feeling lucky you could just go for it and get the switch. about $120 shipped. Looks like you'll need a steering wheel puller and some regular tools is all.
It is an automatic trans right? If not there is a clutch switch too.
Also, fuse 10 under the hood. Need power there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts