Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here so hope this is the correct forum...

Initially my brake switch quit and I lost my tail lights and cruise on a 4 hour drive home. I have replaced the switch and still have no cruise control. All brake lights work, but cruise wont activate at all. I can operate the cruise plunger and hear the other switch for cruise activating but still no luck on what's wrong. Any help would be great! Thanks

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
My cruise control quit on my 89 Ranger over 20 years ago, and I didn't care so I never tried to diagnose it. So, not having done this before I think the place I would start (not being familiar at all with 1st Gen) is looking for a blown fuse.

·
Registered
110 Posts
New here so hope this is the correct forum...

Initially my brake switch quit and I lost my tail lights and cruise on a 4 hour drive home. I have replaced the switch and still have no cruise control. All brake lights work, but cruise wont activate at all. I can operate the cruise plunger and hear the other switch for cruise activating but still no luck on what's wrong. Any help would be great! Thanks
Welcome... What year is your truck ?
Do you have a Check Engine annunciation? Do you have a code reader
Did you check for electrical continuity on the plug in side (male end)of the switch? (Have you a meter to check continuity?)
And as previous Op suggested did you check fuses?
Was the switch replacement GM /Delco or off-brand?

If fuses ( I think there are 3 for the system. Could be off by one ) are good and you've replaced the switch on the pedal, next likely culprit are the input wires on the plug in. Some of the older vehicles will get a high resistance as the years go by and generate heat which will cause a wire or two to fail.

Lots of questions but it helps to know what your troubleshooting capabilities are.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Look at your center dash. Do the lights for the passenger side airbag light up/function? If not you probably burned the fuse. For some reason the airbag lights (hopfully just the lights) are on the same circut as the cruise control. I had this happen to me a few times during my time with my 1st gen Colorado.Just one of fun little electrical gremlins the 1st gens had. I forget where exactly but if I remember correctly your looking for a burned out red 10amp fuse (or if I'm wrong a yellow 20amp fuse) in the fuse box under the hood. Check the diagram on the fuse box lid, should be one labeled something along the lines of "cruise control"

·
Registered
209 Posts
This may or may not help. I lost cruise control on a 1993 Vette when a cruise control vacuum hose came off. The car used vacuum to keep the cruise control from activating at very low speed. Who knew?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Here is another wild idea. Lost cruise control on a 90's Ford Aerotrac minivan decades ago.
Problem solved by cleaning the MAF sensor

1 - 6 of 6 Posts