Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I have posted in the past along with others the radio in my 2015 Canyon has gone crazy, and apparently there is no inexpensive fix. I have been told the fix is a radio control unit. P/N 84042938 not difficult to replace. Dealers want anyware from$1000-1200 to replace it. I found the part listed on GM parts on line for $166.00. Ordered it they took the oder charged my card, and a day later emailed me that it was a restricted part and your truck has to be done by the dealer. A nice fat labor charge on a part that cost less than $200. And some who have had it replaced, have the same problem come back a year later. So for those with the same problem this is also happening on the full size PU's I will decide this week wether to bite the bullet and spend the money or get rid of it.For something other than GM. Sorry for the rant but I am a grumpy 83.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
As I have posted in the past along with others the radio in my 2015 Canyon has gone crazy, and apparently there is no inexpensive fix. I have been told the fix is a radio control unit. P/N 84042938 not difficult to replace. Dealers want anyware from$1000-1200 to replace it. I found the part listed on GM parts on line for $166.00. Ordered it they took the oder charged my card, and a day later emailed me that it was a restricted part and your truck has to be done by the dealer. A nice fat labor charge on a part that cost less than $200. And some who have had it replaced, have the same problem come back a year later. So for those with the same problem this is also happening on the full size PU's I will decide this week wether to bite the bullet and spend the money or get rid of it.For something other than GM. Sorry for the rant but I am a grumpy 83.
You didn't say what it does. Mine will occasionally loose it's mind on a station. It will change the station all by itself but it still shows it is on the original station. All I have to do is touch the station again and it's back. Weird but not enough to worry about.

Does that part need to be programmed I wonder?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You didn't say what it does. Mine will occasionally loose it's mind on a station. It will change the station all by itself but it still shows it is on the original station. All I have to do is touch the station again and it's back. Weird but not enough to worry about.

Does that part need to be programmed I wonder?
My started out that way but got progressivly crazier now it will switch from am to fm or xm and will not respond to the touch screen, also will go to a station not on my picks.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
My started out that way but got progressivly crazier now it will switch from am to fm or xm and will not respond to the touch screen, also will go to a station not on my picks.
oh crap, I hope mine isn't going downhill.
how did you come to the conclusion it's that part? Also, just try to get it someplace else.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The touch screen is shot.

Fortunately mine died while under warranty. The dealer has to replace it because they have to marry the new unit to the truck so the BCM knows that it's there.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't have anything to do with these guys and haven't shopped for a better price:

I have replaced laptop glass in the past and it isn't overly difficult. I see reference to more than one connector type here so you may have to do exploratory surgery before ordering.

Component reploacement such as this would leave the cpu and rom married to the truck intact.

--------------------------------------------

It wouldn't hurt to wipe down the existing screen with a moistened soft cloth with a few added drops of dish soap.
Probably best to do this with the cowling pulled so you can clean the capacitive grid out to the edge. Make sure the cowling doesn't have any sharp flashing on its inner edge before you reinstall.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh crap, I hope mine isn't going downhill.
how did you come to the conclusion it's that part? Also, just try to get it someplace else.
Another person on this forum had his done by the dealer and posted the p/n from his work order, It is called radio control, and consists of the screen and control unit, which has a circuit board that is known for shorting. I did try to get it at another place same result.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I had the human interface module go out on my 2016 Colorado at just under 4 years old. First sign was a black screen telling me something about an update, then it would go blank but I could change between saved radio stations. The issue isnt the cost of the module, its the fact it has to have the vin number loaded and software updated. I don't know if only dealers can do that or somebody with the right laptop and software can, but the majority of the almost $900 it cost me was the labor/software update. The module wasn't that much. Got to be honest, as much as I like this truck things like this have made this the last GM vehicle I'll probably ever buy. Chris

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the human interface module go out on my 2016 Colorado at just under 4 years old. First sign was a black screen telling me something about an update, then it would go blank but I could change between saved radio stations. The issue isnt the cost of the module, its the fact it has to have the vin number loaded and software updated. I don't know if only dealers can do that or somebody with the right laptop and software can, but the majority of the almost $900 it cost me was the labor/software update. The module wasn't that much. Got to be honest, as much as I like this truck things like this have made this the last GM vehicle I'll probably ever buy. Chris
I agree if I decide to get rid of it I will not buy GM again, my brother and I both bought our 2015 Canyons new he is also having his act up not yet as bad as mine. I love everything about it except that stupid info center.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I don't have anything to do with these guys and haven't shopped for a better price:

I have replaced laptop glass in the past and it isn't overly difficult. I see reference to more than one connector type here so you may have to do exploratory surgery before ordering.

Component reploacement such as this would leave the cpu and rom married to the truck intact.

--------------------------------------------

It wouldn't hurt to wipe down the existing screen with a moistened soft cloth with a few added drops of dish soap.
Probably best to do this with the cowling pulled so you can clean the capacitive grid out to the edge. Make sure the cowling doesn't have any sharp flashing on its inner edge before you reinstall.
I don't think this product will fix the majority or our problems. Example, my screen works great, touch, everything. Mine will just go to a different channel and it still shows it on my favorite. I touch the favorite channel again and it "re-tunes" back.

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
I agree if I decide to get rid of it I will not buy GM again, my brother and I both bought our 2015 Canyons new he is also having his act up not yet as bad as mine. I love everything about it except that stupid info center.
Maybe try a different dealer. They will probably charge $300 for the part, 1 hr to install and 1 hr to program. Usually it's about $120 and hour. So that's right at $540. So yes, $1000 is too much.
That or trade it for a new Ranger. :)

·
Registered
5,852 Posts
Another person on this forum had his done by the dealer and posted the p/n from his work order, It is called radio control, and consists of the screen and control unit, which has a circuit board that is known for shorting. I did try to get it at another place same result.
Do you recall the price for the part and time?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't think this product will fix the majority or our problems. Example, my screen works great, touch, everything. Mine will just go to a different channel and it still shows it on my favorite. I touch the favorite channel again and it "re-tunes" back.
A faulty or even dirty touch screen could possibly do that. Pop the bezel and give it a gentle clean with a soft damp rag and a few drops of dish soap. If you find nothing gained you will not have wasted much time. We'll all learn something.
If by chance the behavior changes - it is more likely the screen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts