Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 Colorado and recently I started smelling exhaust when I started up my truck. I took it to the dealer (in hopes of my extended warranty to cover it) and they confirmed that I had a cracked manifold. They quoted a price of $850 to fix it. That seems very high to me. The guy said that it was just $450 for the manifold it self.

Does this seem accurate and a fair price?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
It might be covered under the emission system warranty since the catalytic converter is built into it. Converters are covered for 8 yrs/80,000 mi.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the truck used and purchased a extended warranty through some third-party, I can't remember the name of the company at the moment. As far as I know this should be covered, but the price still seemed high. The dealer is suppose to call them in the morning to find out what they will cover.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that these people are charging almost $100 more than the retail price.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
flakzeus said:
Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that these people are charging almost $100 more than the retail price.
GM Parts Direct is not the retail price. They're probably charging you pretty close to retail, actually. GM Parts Direct is a GM dealership that sells parts online for very close to what the dealer's actual cost for that part is, if not at cost. They just charge a lot for shipping to make up some of the difference.

And also, as AdamB stated, you may be able to get it covered under the regular warranty if you try arguing that because it contains a catalytic converter, it should be covered under the emissions warranty, assuming you're still within the 80K mile mark.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so I just got off the phone with the service guy. He said that my third-party waranty people would not cover this. These people will be dealt with later. I asked him about the 8 year/80k mile waranty and he said that it wouldn't be covered because it only covers the drive train and the catalytic converter. I told him that I thought that the catalytic converter was built into the manifold and he double checked and his tune changed. He's said he had to check with his service rep and would get back to me.

AdamB, thanks for the information. It may save me $850. :D

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
flakzeus said:
AdamB, thanks for the information. It may save me $850. :D
*crosses fingers*

:)

I'd call up the third party and yell at them while you're waiting on a return call from the service guy anyway...sometimes all it takes to change a company's mind is the customer getting involved.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
good, luck, you should be able to get it covered under one of these warranties

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The service guy just called me back and told me that it would be covered. So thanks to you guys, I don't have to buy a exhaust manifold.

Thanks so much! :D

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
buy one from a junk yard. its easy to replace.

edit.....cool, its covered under warrnty. good for you man.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
jax said:
buy one from a junk yard. its easy to replace.

edit.....cool, its covered under warrnty. good for you man.
most junk yards cant sell cat converters.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts