Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: Beers

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
In their defense, GM didn't help with their trans shudder problem. As to their claim of poor performance by the engine, that is patently not true, but again is because of GM and their drive by wire system. That's while Pedal Commander and tuning software that alter the system are so popular and had CR driven a vehicle with such a device, they never would have made that statement.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
406 Posts
I believe their ratings were strongly influenced by the 8L45 transmission issue, which is a real thing. But this also reveals the nuance, in that a 6L50 customer or probably a 2020/2021 customer will have a different experience. It is really weird that the article specifically mentions issues with the six-speed, but either that's a typo or the 6L has a lot of minor issues.

As the article says, they look at previous model years to make predictions for current, so significant problems will weigh on a vehicle even once resolved. Also keep in mind, all anyone here on this forum has is anecdotal data. If your truck was trouble free you are happy. If not, you are unhappy.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
696 Posts
Yeah I’m not buying this list. A bottom 10 reliability list that doesn’t have a single Jaguar/Land Rover product is suspect.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
This topic was covered last year when CR first gave the rating. Not surprising they haven't improved--it's been a long time since that organization was a useful consumer orientated entity.

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado 4WD WT CCSB
263 Posts
Consumer Reports has never really denied their biases. A lot of their evaluation is based on subjective feedback from their subscribers. CR even said something to the effect that their evaluations are intended for their subscribers and that is why they include the subjective feedback from their readers.

If you only drive your vehicle, how do you know how good or how bad it is compared to the competition? If the subscriber owns an unreliable vehicle but either likes the car or is unable to admit their mistake and gives it a good grade, is that a valid data point? I routinely drive rental cars on business trips and have found that I do not like VW's at all for my tastes and that Toyotas and Hondas really aren't better than other makes. But that flies in the face of CR opinions.

Some organization (JD Power?) used to do a similar rating based on actual number of visits for repairs. This seems to me to be a much better way of evaluating "quality" or "reliability" which can be defined many ways.

·
Registered
2021 Colorado 2.8L Diesel Z71
406 Posts
Well, there's definitely problems with CR and I don't want to get into that really. Just note that their data comes only from their subscribers and their overall ratings are based on weighted results. You can only rely upon weighted results when you understand the weighting and agree it matches your own criteria. But it's also good to recognize one's own logical fallacies,
1) I make good decisions
2) I decided to purchase product X
3) Therefore, the decision to purchase product X is a good decision
4) Publication Y says product X is not good.
5) Publication Y is wrong!

JD Power is another interesting one. For one thing, that is an initial quality survey which means it tells you how well a car is put together rather than how long it will last. Those are quite different. But more interesting is how much purchase price factors into cognitive dissonance. Basically, I buy a Chevy Cruise and one little thing goes wrong, I'm super pissed. I buy a Porsche and the transmission grenades, I'm like "It's been great, only had one little problem with it so far." Nobody wants to admit their $125,000 car is low quality.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
JD Power is another interesting one. For one thing, that is an initial quality survey which means it tells you how well a car is put together rather than how long it will last. Those are quite different. But more interesting is how much purchase price factors into cognitive dissonance. Basically, I buy a Chevy Cruise and one little thing goes wrong, I'm super pissed. I buy a Porsche and the transmission grenades, I'm like "It's been great, only had one little problem with it so far." Nobody wants to admit their $125,000 car is low quality.
That's a huge problem, and the "better run" companies actually promote that sort of thinking with follow-up marketing efforts designed to convince their customers that they made a good decision.

In contrast, Jenn Air/Whirlpool (and whatever other brands are made by the same company) tend to convince their customers that their products are PoS by repeatedly promoting extended warranties. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Payola!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Did they not get paid?
your other thread says they claim its a best buy. least reliable and best buy seem to be contradictory to me. read this forum. mostly complainers and/or looking for answers. once GM fixed the transmission issue with software update, i never had another problem with my canyon 4yrs and 85K miles. only come back here to see whats new. its the same old...but less complaints
CR has contradictions throughout the years. enough so, i quit refering to it years ago. i remember them many times dissing one brand over the other and the items were identical with different brand name labels. dissing tires where they can't possibly drive all tires on all vehicles in every condition. rating washers dryers refrigerators and by time the article is published the model is discontinued but try this one. rating vehicles? leave it to the car/truck people.

seriously next vehicle in a couple years...most likely full size ram or ford truck....not a gm

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
your other thread says they claim its a best buy.
Different consumer magazine.

As to full size trucks, right now I'd probably buy a Ford or Ram, but in a couple of years that could be different.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
What an "uncomfortable seat" and "weak feeling engine" has to do with reliability I have no idea.
Both of those things described my truck when I first got it BTW. The engine did feel more powerful than the Taco's though and the update fixed my engine. The seat is now good too after a little break-in.

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just post what I find. Don't shoot the messenger! Is there an honest vehicle reviewer anyways?
I actually like watching TFL Truck, but now that they're big shots, can they resist following the money?
Some of the most honest reviews I've read, or tubed, that crapped on the Rado, were from sedan experts, not truck experts, but they were honest opinions from someone who shouldn't have been picked for the job.
Ram, yeah, Ram has really stepped up their game. For one, they have a sway bar in the rear. I had to put one in the Rado.
I had heard whispers of the return of the Dakota. Remember that V8 RT? YESSSSSSSSSSo_O

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
What an "uncomfortable seat" and "weak feeling engine" has to do with reliability I have no idea.
. . .. The seat is now good too after a little break-in.
That sort of thing is subjective, and dollars to donuts GM did some testing of the seats to see what people like and don't like. I think they probably know that people sit in cars before buying them.

The mattress in my trailer is really nice, but a lot of people complain about it too. I like firm mattresses and the one in my trailer actually feels a lot like the one I have at home. And although it's a murphy bed mattress, there is not seam--the entire platform moves as one piece. I hate RV mattresses that fold or have a seam, etc.

And yeah, the Colorado seat did take a bit of break in to become really comfortable, but I didn't find them that bad from the get go.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I just post what I find. Don't shoot the messenger! Is there an honest vehicle reviewer anyways?
I actually like watching TFL Truck, but now that they're big shots, can they resist following the money?
Some of the most honest reviews I've read, or tubed, that crapped on the Rado, were from sedan experts, not truck experts, but they were honest opinions from someone who shouldn't have been picked for the job.
Ram, yeah, Ram has really stepped up their game. For one, they have a sway bar in the rear. I had to put one in the Rado.
I had heard whispers of the return of the Dakota. Remember that V8 RT? YESSSSSSSSSSo_O
This is what we do to messengers!

·
Registered
2021 Z71 4x4 CCSB
158 Posts
Different consumer magazine.

As to full size trucks, right now I'd probably buy a Ford or Ram, but in a couple of years that could be different.
Hmm... Dodge and jeep are 2 vehicles that should stay at the bottom of a reliability rating. :D

And the only ford i would ever own is a bronco. Mostly because its the only one i ever seen and really liked the looks of.

But again... Subjective.... Except for a dependability rating. if you ask 100 master mechanics which engines and vehicles they think are the least reliable you will get some different answers, but you will get more dodge and jeep answers than Toyota, Chevy, ford or suburu. In fact this was done on several different mechanic groups on facebook years ago.

The engine did feel more powerful than the Taco's though and the update fixed my engine.
Im a new colorado owner... But i have owned toyotas for years and can agree to this. My colorado does feel more powerful than the tacoma and has extra HP to back up the claim.

That sort of thing is subjective,

And yeah, the Colorado seat did take a bit of break in to become really comfortable, but I didn't find them that bad from the get go.
When i bought my first tacoma 5 years ago, in 2015, i went and test drove the colorado first... In fact i had my mind made up that my first truck after over a decade of driving jeeps and cars was going to be a colorado.... Before the jeeps and cars i had owned a couple chevys, so i was more in that mind set...... But after a quick test drive i was totally not a fan of the seat. And not really a fan of the front end as much as the taco either... But then again the only colorado they had at the closest dealership was a base model.

So then i went and checked out the tacoma and the seat was leaps and bounds better. And it set higher off the ground making its off road clearance much better as well.... SO i went with the taco.

I have owned 4 different tacos, and never had a single issue with the engines, transmissions, or the seats. But there were thousands of people that had transmission issues when they first came out with the 3rd gens. Though on some of the taco forums it seemed a handful of the people that complained had came from cars with not much background in trucks or offroad vehicles and expected a truck to drive like a car, or expected a sub 300hp truck to perform like a 400hp sports car.

I just traded my 4runner in on the 2021 z71 colorado, and i have no issues with the seats at all. Its very comfortable. Not sure if it changed since 2015 or what, but i like the seat just fine. And the Z71 front end is nice looking as well.

But the front end is still low to the ground, but that didnt bother me any since i lift most vehicles anyway.

As far as reliability is concerned.... i dont know yet... But i did make sure to negotiate in a 72 month bumper to bumper warranty and free oil change services for 75 months as well.... Just in case LOL

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I had a Toyota Supra, CR gave it great ratings, dealer replaced the dual cams twice, seems the oil return holes in the block castings were some what restricted to return oil back to the oil pan...I was a subscriber to CR back then and give it a bad rating but the next year it was the normal 4 or 5 circles like they gave every Toyota

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
they are just reporting results from the surveys they send to subscribers as pointed out earlier.
you can read 20 reviews on trucks and half will be good half will be bad for the same truck. one recent review claimed the colorado diesel is THE best diesel truck... really? lol
review blogs are popping up all over the interweb and all are self-proclaimed experts
CR now dissing the ranger and suggesting the ridgeline over it.... no surprise here about the ranger

dodge ram, truck of the year 3 yrs in a row. in 2019 (pretty sure) had 19 recalls and keeps winning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts