Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone covered up the chrome on the front and rear bumper, and the grille bar? I am looking to get rid of the chrome in exchange for a glossy black.

I have used plastidip on previous vehicles and was not a huge fan, the finish is eh in my opinion and dirt sticks to it, so I'm not really trying to use that even though it is the easiest method probably.

I have considerd vinyl wrapping it. I have never personally wrapped anything so idk if I would do it myself or get someone to do it. Vinyl seems to not be too expensive so if I did do it myself it seems that it would be pretty cheap. No idea how much it would cost to do it professionally or where I'd even go for that.

Last option I guess would be painting it myself? Just painting it black then when it's done hitting it with come clear coat.

These were the only real options I could think of. Really just looking to see if anyone has tried any of these and if they turned out well or not. Also looking for any other suggestions if anyone can think of any.

·
Super Moderator
5,218 Posts
I color matched the center grill bar to my truck paint color. Scuffed the crap out of chrome, cleaned it real good then used adhesion promoter, then primer, then paint, then clear, then buffed the clear with a medium duty compound.

For the bumpers I just used plasti dip. If you want to paint them be sure to scuff the chrome all over real real good, probably dont need adhesion promoter since the bumpers are metal. Good prep is key when painting over chrome.
20181231_092631.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I color matched the center grill bar to my truck paint color. Scuffed the crap out of chrome, cleaned it real good then used adhesion promoter, then primer, then paint, then clear, then buffed the clear with a medium duty compound.

For the bumpers I just used plasti dip. If you want to paint them be sure to scuff the chrome all over real real good, probably dont need adhesion promoter since the bumpers are metal. Good prep is key when painting over chrome. View attachment 377862
Man that's a good looking truck. Did you use that sort of clear coat that plastidip makes after you put down the black? or is it just the regular plastidip finish? Might just use plastidip just because its easy and cheap, but want that glossy finish. Also want to give vinyl a shot. Having trouble finding the needed size though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
2 Participants
GregDAP
Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon
ColoradoFans.com is the best forum for the Chevy Colorado community to discuss the truck’s reliability, diesel or transmissions problems and more.
Full Forum Listing