Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my truck for about two months now and I've never been so wrapped up in the idea of modding a vehicle. I owned a Chevy Cruze before I picked up this bad girl, and I've been having a ton of fun, though my wallet would say otherwise.

2016 Black Colorado LT 2wd
Bose, Navigation and that's pretty much it.

JULY 2ND 2016
So stock, so very very stock:

AUGUST 7TH 2016
z71 grille ($100, Craigslist)
z71 rims ($120, Craigslist)
I really liked the black on black look of the grille, and this was a cheap replacement until I could actually get one color matched.

AUGUST 31ST 2016
Tuff Country 1.25" Level
Fuel Vector 17x8.5 Wheels
Toyo Open Country 265/70R17
The level I had originally ordered was the 2" Rough Country and at the time of this picture and install, I had no idea they had put the wrong leveling kit on. Whole package including install, warranties, and unlimited tire rotations came to be $1750 (Les Schwab Tire).

SEPTEMBER 18TH 2016
Rough Country 2" Level ($60, roughcountry.com)
Hidden Bumper Mounting Brackets ($26, eBay)
30" Single Row LED Light Bar ($100, Craigslist)
Les Schwab swapped out my leveling kits and I had a bitch of a time installing my light bar. It was an inch or so too short for the mounting brackets so nothing a little muscle couldn't fix, but I almost drilled through my dash wiring when installing the switch, go me!

Wish List:
Fox Shocks and Coilovers
Tow Package
OEM Fender Flares
Spray-In Bedliner
GearOn Cross Rails
Mud Flaps
Hard Tonneau Cover

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've owned my truck for about two months now and I've never been so wrapped up in the idea of modding a vehicle. I owned a Chevy Cruze before I picked up this bad girl, and I've been having a ton of fun, though my wallet would say otherwise.

2016 Black Colorado LT 2wd
Bose, Navigation and that's pretty much it.

JULY 2ND 2016
So stock, so very very stock:

AUGUST 7TH 2016
z71 grille ($100, Craigslist)
z71 rims ($120, Craigslist)
I really liked the black on black look of the grille, and this was a cheap replacement until I could actually get one color matched.

AUGUST 31ST 2016
Tuff Country 1.25" Level
Fuel Vector 17x8.5 Wheels
Toyo Open Country 265/70R17
The level I had originally ordered was the 2" Rough Country and at the time of this picture and install, I had no idea they had put the wrong leveling kit on. Whole package including install, warranties, and unlimited tire rotations came to be $1750 (Les Schwab Tire).

SEPTEMBER 18TH 2016
Rough Country 2" Level ($60, roughcountry.com)
Hidden Bumper Mounting Brackets ($26, eBay)
30" Single Row LED Light Bar ($100, Craigslist)
Les Schwab swapped out my leveling kits and I had a bitch of a time installing my light bar. It was an inch or so too short for the mounting brackets so nothing a little muscle couldn't fix, but I almost drilled through my dash wiring when installing the switch, go me!

Wish List:
Fox Shocks and Coilovers
Tow Package
OEM Fender Flares
Spray-In Bedliner
GearOn Cross Rails
Mud Flaps
Hard Tonneau Cover

Nice work so far! I see on your wish list tow package, so just going to share my experience. I too had no tow package somehow (and didn't notice until a couple days later). I priced dealer install of oe hitch and wiring and it's ins in the 450 range. Save yourself the cash and order the curt hitch. There's an install video on their site, fit and finish in perfect and it's totally hidden, very nice and stronger than oe hitch. 100ish bucks for that on Amazon or eBay, then order the oe wiring harness from eBay for 65 bucks. Super strait forward project and pretty cheap in comparison. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work so far! I see on your wish list tow package, so just going to share my experience. I too had no tow package somehow (and didn't notice until a couple days later). I priced dealer install of oe hitch and wiring and it's ins in the 450 range. Save yourself the cash and order the curt hitch. There's an install video on their site, fit and finish in perfect and it's totally hidden, very nice and stronger than oe hitch. 100ish bucks for that on Amazon or eBay, then order the oe wiring harness from eBay for 65 bucks. Super strait forward project and pretty cheap in comparison. Just my 2 cents
Thanks for this, this one will be farther down the road (I REALLY need to get my Spray-In bedliner, desperately) but if the install process isn't too grueling I'm all for DIY.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Nice find with the grille.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SEPTEMBER 28TH 2016
Bought a soft cover tonneau (GMC OEM roll up that comes with the Canyon, lol) for $150 (Craigslist). I was desperate to find something to cover my gear for my camping trip next month. Luckily you can only see the massive GMC logo if you're taller than me, which is pretty much every other truck out there

·
Registered
182 Posts
**** looks great for 2wd build. i wanna get a light bar soon, those look badass!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
**** looks great for 2wd build. i wanna get a light bar soon, those look badass!!!
They're REALLY inexpensive (unless you go the Rigid route) and it's a really affordable upgrade that dramatically changes the look of your truck. The installation process isnt too bad either, you can do it all under $150!

·
Registered
81 Posts
They're REALLY inexpensive (unless you go the Rigid route) and it's a really affordable upgrade that dramatically changes the look of your truck. The installation process isnt too bad either, you can do it all under $150!

Truck looks sick!!

How are you liking the tires and are you rubbing any? Also got anymore side profile shots?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truck looks sick!!

How are you liking the tires and are you rubbing any? Also got anymore side profile shots?
Once I installed a set of OEM fender flares two weeks ago I have started to experience rubbing at full turns, but all was well before then.

And these are the closest I currently have to a profile shot, I'll take a new one this evening.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Once I installed a set of OEM fender flares two weeks ago I have started to experience rubbing at full turns, but all was well before then.

And these are the closest I currently have to a profile shot, I'll take a new one this evening.

Those actually capture what I was looking for so thanks! and 1 more thing I forgot to ask what kinda mpg are you seeing since the lift and tires?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those actually capture what I was looking for so thanks! and 1 more thing I forgot to ask what kinda mpg are you seeing since the lift and tires?
I lost about 2 mpg (but that's also after removing the air dam.) I live in a really hilly area so I was only averaging 20 to begin with, and now I'm floating around 17-18.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hello Rogue01,

Congratulations on your recent 2016 Colorado LT purchase! If you have any questions or would like a copy of your vehicle build sheet, feel free to send us a private message including your VIN.

Regards,

Anthony J.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very nice dude! How hard/easy is it to replace that grill?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
JULY 4th 2017
SO Many changes since my last update! I was broke for a while so I had to put the truck on hold, but I've made a lot of progress over the last two months.

Curt Hitch (class III)
Eibach Pro-Truck Sport Shocks (front and back)
Eibach Pro Lift Kit Springs
Wilco Offroad Hitchgate Solo
Softopper

The Eibach kit is phenomenal and I can't recommend it enough. When I added the 2" RC level I really felt my ride quality deteriorate (some people haven't noticed a thing, others have, not sure what the deal is in regards to this) so the Eibach shock and spring upgrade has been a breath of fresh air in regards to handling and control. The truck rests a tad higher with the Eibach springs then it did with the RC level, even though they both claim to be 2".

I'm not completely sold on the Hitchgate Solo. I wouldn't want to leave it on the truck all the time (blocks the rear-view camera, makes the butt sag a bit, have to deal with license plate relocation and lighting). And for that I can't justify the price cause it's kind of a pain. It looks cool, and performed great when offroading, but...ugh.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Rogue,
nice truck, interested in the Eibach springs and RHA shocks set up you have. What height do you have the shocks set at? Do the springs add any additional lift or just make the ride better than the stock springs. I have the RHA's with the OEM springs but looking to upgrade when they come out hopefully soon. thx

1 - 20 of 26 Posts