Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

https://tire-calc.com/#

Stock Tire Size = 255/65/17
TireRack's Recommended size for 20" wheels = 265/50/20
Aim (if they'll fit) = 285/50/20

Wondering if any body has 285/50-20's mounted on one of the Twins? I know that the offset of the wheel needs to be taken into consideration. I also realize that the overall diameter relative to stock is 3.9% greater. So at 60MPH (100km/h) I'll be traveling at 62.34MPH (103.9km/h). In my humble opinion that doesn't concern me at all. I'm not much for a heavy foot.

My main concern is fitment and clearance on a truck for which I have no plans to adjust the suspension/height. Was hoping someone has already gone down this path successfully.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
The Canyon Denali comes with the 265/50r20, so you want to add .2" to diameter and 1.2" width. The offset is -15mm difference, but wheel is 12mm wider. It'll be darn close.

Reactions: Joseph Gilliland

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
265mm to 285mm isn't a 1.2" increase. It's slightly over .75". And that's split as an increase of 3/8" on either side of the wheel.

I'm hoping that the offset will "push" the wheel outward so the wider rubber doesn't hit the suspension. I haven't looked into what the stock wheel offset is yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will It Fit site findings.

It appears with an offset of 15mm towards the negative, it'll push the wheel/tire outwards enough to not be a concern for clearance. Since, as was already stated, the Canyon Denali's already run 285/50/20's with a 25mm offset, I'd simply be moving the wheels 7mm outwards for a slightly wider stance.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
265mm to 285mm isn't a 1.2" increase. It's slightly over .75". And that's split as an increase of 3/8" on either side of the wheel.

I'm hoping that the offset will "push" the wheel outward so the wider rubber doesn't hit the suspension. I haven't looked into what the stock wheel offset is yet.
I stated the wrong factory tire size, but the spec differences comparison stated is still correct. Also, the RQ9 wheel is +33 offset.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had those tires in that size (I think) on my Silverado. While they road nice and were quiet they were not good in the snow. I switched to 17” rims and general grabbers mid winter and it was like night and day. Not sure if that matters to you are not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My plan will be to sell the new OEM tires that come with the truck, and use that money to buy a set of dedicated snow tires for the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So how did this pan out? Anyone actually try this size? I to am on the fence about a lift and this size seems viable. Had my eye on a helo 914 20x9 0 offset with a set of 285/50r20 cooper ht+'s. Wish they had the DS 654 for the twins with chrome lip and cap with black spokes :D. This truck may see gravel and dirt (and some snow) but that's it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.