Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 colorado 4 door with the 5 cyl. I bought it for my daughters first vehicle. I put a new radiator in it when I bought it. It has around 318k miles. Runs excellent bought it from the original owner. What's the normal temperature for these trucks. I'm going to try and attach a pic.
20200727_121015.jpg

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
676 Posts
That’s slightly high but it’s hard to tell without using a scan tool.

Mine runs JUST below the half way tick mark for what it’s worth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s slightly high but it’s hard to tell without using a scan tool.

Mine runs JUST below the half way tick mark for what it’s worth.
Thats as high as I've ever seen it. I was idling at the bank drive through for about 7 or 8 minutes. Plus im in florida and it was probably about 98 degrees out that day. The truck also has a leak when it pours rain. Driverside floor board puddles. I should make another post about that. Maybe someone else has had this problem?

·
Registered
2010 Chevy Colorado Crew Cab 4x4 Z71 V8
676 Posts
Driverside floor board puddles. I should make another post about that. Maybe someone else has had this problem?
Very common problem that ends up soaking the carpet and can often fry the 4wd control module under the drivers seat.

I ended up pulling off the drivers fender and adding silicone to the body seams to fix it. Took me a couple attempts to keep it dry. The leak was hard to see because it ran down behind the e brake pedal.

Good luck because the passenger side leaks too. It’s a Colorado thing I guess.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aren't the temp gauges just dummy gauges? I know I've read that the 2nd gens are and I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st gens are too. My 1st gen would always read right at the middle mark when I first got it and then a few years later it moved to just below the middle and has been there ever since, regardless of ambient temp or driving conditions.

·
Registered
2020 Z71 4x4 ECLB Trail Runner
27 Posts
Aren't the temp gauges just dummy gauges? I know I've read that the 2nd gens are and I wouldn't be surprised if the 1st gens are too. My 1st gen would always read right at the middle mark when I first got it and then a few years later it moved to just below the middle and has been there ever since, regardless of ambient temp or driving conditions.
What do you mean by dummy gauges? someone is saying they are completely fake?

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
They don't tend to indicate minor changes in temperature, and by minor I mean 20-40 degrees. They likely will warn you of a severe overheating condition, but perhaps not an underheating condition.

Better to use a scanner to get a digital reading of the actual temperature.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Very common problem that ends up soaking the carpet and can often fry the 4wd control module under the drivers seat.

I ended up pulling off the drivers fender and adding silicone to the body seams to fix it. Took me a couple attempts to keep it dry. The leak was hard to see because it ran down behind the e brake pedal.

Good luck because the passenger side leaks too. It’s a Colorado thing I guess.
This truck is 2wd so I don't have to worry about that. I bought it for my daughters first vehicle. I found a hole that I plugged just below the windshield. Its in the same spot where the radio antenna is but on the driverside. That stopped alot of water. But It still gets a small leak from behind the driver side kick panel. Just getting annoying. Truck always smells musty/mildewy. Guess I'll pull the fender off today so I can have a better look.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Like @Goodspike said. Not completely fake but really only shows 3 temps; cold, normal, and overheat. The needle basically just goes to a certain general area for a wide range of temperatures. I'd say based the picture the truck is still operating in the normal range.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The IC gauge in my 2nd gen reflects the coolant temps and shows changes as little as 5*. I have a scangaugeII that shows the coolant temp and it follows the IC gauge.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Well that pic shows no numbers so that kind of sucks, but no they aren't "fake", they do work they just don't tell you much "detail "
I remember my 2007 would warm up at a long idle in the 100 plus heat here, as soon as I took off the fan clutch was locked and it would cool off real quick.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
The IC gauge in my 2nd gen reflects the coolant temps and shows changes as little as 5*. I have a scangaugeII that shows the coolant temp and it follows the IC gauge.
My 2016 gauge gets more accurate the closer to 'normal' it gets, you can easily see if something isn't right. Apparently on the diesel it is different still. @DieselDrax went into detail about it in another thread.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
My 2016 gauge gets more accurate the closer to 'normal' it gets, you can easily see if something isn't right. Apparently on the diesel it is different still. @DieselDrax went into detail about it in another thread.
I'm not even sure the situation exists beyond the diesel, but it clearly is a problem on the diesels.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
I'm not even sure the situation exists beyond the diesel, but it clearly is a problem on the diesels.
I don't know, I'm thinking you will still see an under heating or overheating problem. I think he just wanted it to be more accurate. I don't remember exactly what he said about it.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I don't know, I'm thinking you will still see an under heating or overheating problem. I think he just wanted it to be more accurate. I don't remember exactly what he said about it.
Yes, I think you will, although maybe not underheating. Mine shows pretty much a normal temperature well before it warms up. Next time I'm out I'll try to pull some numbers.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Yes, I think you will, although maybe not underheating. Mine shows pretty much a normal temperature well before it warms up. Next time I'm out I'll try to pull some numbers.
To be clear, what I mean by under-heating is not warmed up to normal running temp.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
To be clear, what I mean by under-heating is not warmed up to normal running temp.
Yes, that's what I assumed. My Ranger does that if the thermostat goes bad. But seemingly if it reads over 160 when it's really under 130 when warming up, it would do so if under-heating.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Okay, I just did a test and here are the results with the Duramax.

When the thermostat has moved about 5 or 10 degrees above the low point (160) the coolant is at about 100. When the coolant gets to be about 135 the gauge is reading about 175. Then the coolant gets to 170 it reads about 180. So it gets closer the hotter it gets. That's as hot as my coolant got today, so I can't report on higher temps.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
Okay, I just did a test and here are the results with the Duramax.

When the thermostat has moved about 5 or 10 degrees above the low point (160) the coolant is at about 100. When the coolant gets to be about 135 the gauge is reading about 175. Then the coolant gets to 170 it reads about 180. So it gets closer the hotter it gets. That's as hot as my coolant got today, so I can't report on higher temps.
That is what I found on my 3.6 gasser. The closer it gets to running temp (about 200) the more accurate it is. I have no idea what it does when it overheats and hope I never find out. :)

Reactions: Goodspike
1 - 19 of 19 Posts