Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
I used to do my own coolant fluid changes years ago but trying to get rid of the old fluid and no matter how careful, always had a mess so I have taken my vehicles to a local radiator/ac shop that I have done business with for the last 20+ years. They would go through the entire system checking all the hoses and connections and flush and refill with the proper coolant and they have always warranted their work. I like to support the local guys when I can.

·
Registered
426 Posts
@cannelg
How much antifreeze did you buy? And I'm assuming you purchased the full concentration(or 50 50 mix?)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
@cannelg
How much antifreeze did you buy? And I'm assuming you purchased the full concentration(or 50 50 mix?)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I purchased 2 gallons of the full concentration. I have some left over and I keep it in the garage. I am not sure if there is a shelf life on it or not but I keep it just in case.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Antifreeze today isnt sweet like it used to be. They have embitterment in it to discourage animals and, spouses from drinking it.

But, Id still keep my pets away from it since one of our dogs will eat anything it can find......packs of cigarettes whole, lighters, pens, napkins....you name it and he will try eating it. :p
Well crap, that explains why she didn't go for it. I'll find another "way"

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well, according to the dealer flush video on YouTube, looks like you will get ONE gallon of coolant, not 6.55 quarts. $120 for a gallon of coolant is a little steep for me, besides that I have done many at home in the last 50 years with no problem. If I stop doing the little automotive work that I do, I will have nothing to do.

FWIW, at about 1:14 he says he's using "12 new liters of dexcool" during the process. He's seen using one gallon (probably for brevity) but says he's using much more.

I would still do it myself.

JMHO
No expertise implied or expressed

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
87 Posts
As long as the coolant appears to be the original color, no dirt or other crap in it WHY change it?

I can understand changing brake fluid as it willl attract moisture, but antifreeze?

Seems like another one of those Service Dept money makers.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Eh, I wont argue that your wrong but, after 4-5 years, spending a few bucks to give it fresh fluid certainly isnt going to hurt. Antifreeze, like everything else in the world, does break down over time.

The biggest mistake I always see is, people that change their antifreeze usually use just regular tap water....now THATS a huge no-no.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I use tap water in my radiator, BUT it is pretty soft where I live. Check out this article, it makes sense, water without any minerals is actually corrosive. I kind of doubt it's all that corrosive once you add coolant though... I'm not sure but I really don't worry much about it. I think if I had hard water I would get the 50/50 mix instead of distilled or RO water....
(I know this is an advertisement but I believe it.)

p.s. They tell you the same thing with a swimming pool, around here you must add harness with a new water change or the water will dissolve your plaster.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Its just one of those things designed to cause conflict among men. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would suggest distilled water. Deionized would be best but that's tough to find on the grocery store shelf. Let the antifreeze decide what additives are in the mix as opposed to the local tap water. We aren't running pure tap water after all.

Think about that next time you fill a glass at the sink. Best to stick with beer.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
I would suggest distilled water. Deionized would be best but that's tough to find on the grocery store shelf. Let the antifreeze decide what additives are in the mix as opposed to the local tap water. We aren't running pure tap water after all.

Think about that next time you fill a glass at the sink. Best to stick with beer.
Did you just say put beer in your radiator?
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Bookmarking for later.

hit 5 years on my truck. Going to change the coolant even though I only have 22k miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi all,

Anyone here flush the coolant yet? I’ve never done that but seems easy enough - I think. Do I simply drain from petcock (I’m assuming the 2015 has one), refill system through surge tank with distilled water, run until it gets hot (5-10 minutes), drain again, refill with distilled and repeat until it drains clear, refill with 50/50 dexcool mix after flushing with water a few times, run with cap off to burp the system and I’m done? Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had my '16 flushed by the dealer @ 40K, very reasonable. The radiator hoses were not touched but there was evidence that the heater hoses were. Looking at you tube I am convinced the process involves applying a vacuum to one hose and replacing with fresh antifreeze thru the other. Maybe there were a few cycles with freshwater but I don't think so. Part of the cost was adding a treatment first. But do look on Youtube for the latest technique for this.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
FYI, bought the dexcool (concentrate, not 50/50) today and the cheapest price I found was Walmart.

14.47 per gallon for Prestone Dexcool concentrate.

5 bucks savings per gallon is 5 bucks spent somewhere else, haha.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I had my '16 flushed by the dealer @ 40K, very reasonable. The radiator hoses were not touched but there was evidence that the heater hoses were. Looking at you tube I am convinced the process involves applying a vacuum to one hose and replacing with fresh antifreeze thru the other. Maybe there were a few cycles with freshwater but I don't think so. Part of the cost was adding a treatment first. But do look on Youtube for the latest technique for this.
Why did you have it done with only 40k and 4-5 years on it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Finally changed mine yesterday.

2015 Colorado with 22000 miles. It’s 2 months past 5 years so I figured it was due based On time.

As mentioned above, bought 2 gallons of Prestone DexCool concentrate at Walmart for 14.47.
bought 7 gallons of distilled water at the grocery store (.98 cents/gallon here)

drained 2 gallons the first time. Added water until the coolant Tank was full.

drained again and only 1.5 gallons came out . Same thing 3 more times until it came out mostly clear (last batch not shown)

added a little over 1.5 gallons of Pure dexcool back (calculating since only 1.5 gallons came out there was still around 1.5 gallons of distilled water in the system).

There was a little gunk on the cap.

I figure some fresh fluid is better than old fluid.

still not sure why it came out pinkish when dexcool is orange.

Reactions: jso902
41 - 60 of 60 Posts