Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone here flush the coolant yet? I’ve never done that but seems easy enough - I think. Do I simply drain from petcock (I’m assuming the 2015 has one), refill system through surge tank with distilled water, run until it gets hot (5-10 minutes), drain again, refill with distilled and repeat until it drains clear, refill with 50/50 dexcool mix after flushing with water a few times, run with cap off to burp the system and I’m done? Is it really that simple or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
When you fill it for the final time with coolant, pull it on ramps just a slight incline before filling and fill it slowly, will help burp most of the air out. When it start showing in the radiator, start it let it idle with the heater on until the top radiator hose gets hot. At this point, the thermostat is open. You can fill the rest of the way and put the cap on and then fill the bottle, to the mark. Use a 50/50 mix of Dexcool. Just slightly up on ramps when filling. Do all your flushing and filling thru the radiator cap.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
In theory, your spot on. Thats where the problem lies....its just in theory. Many of todays vehicles take quite a lot to burp them and get all of the ir out. Usually putting the heater on high and having the front jacked up will usually help the stubborn vehicles but there are some where its a matter of loosing heater hose clamps, or other drastic measures.

As of yet though, I havent seen anyone here that has done it yet but Im sure many of us that have 15-16s will start thinking of doing so in the near future so....... looks like you might be our guinea pig.

If you do set out to do this and encounter anything unusuals, please come back and report it so we have some advance knowledge. :wink2:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Lol - sure thing. Honestly, I don’t remember seeing a radiator cap on mine now that I think of it. I’ll look closer tonight. I’m not going to do it in the next week but I do want to do it soon.

This is from the manual:

If there is no radiator cap then do you just do everything through surge tank?

Thanks,
Greg

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Somewhere in the back of my head I remember articles indicating that changing antifreeze too frequently is bad for water pumps, not that you should go beyond what the manufacturer recommends due to other components of the cooling system. You can have the coolant tested.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Yes, you are correct about no radiator cap. I was not looking at the radiator when I mentioned the procedure. Will have to use the tank to fill.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Somewhere in the back of my head I remember articles indicating that changing antifreeze too frequently is bad for water pumps, not that you should go beyond what the manufacturer recommends due to other components of the cooling system. You can have the coolant tested.

I was thinking about testing it but the manual says every 5 year anyway. I am at year 4 so I just want to be proactive and like to research early. My biggest fear is doing something to maintain my truck but then actually being the cause of an issue! But I also hate spending hundred of dollars to do things that I could do on my own, especially when I really enjoy doing it. It’s fun for me since I don’t get to work with my hands in my day job. I appreciate everyone sharing knowledge! When I actually get to this I will post results. I’m still looking at extracting/refilling tranny fluid first, but that is a whole different thread! I am
Finding that the more familiar I become with one system the more confidence I get with the others.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Supposedly, the coolant now days is supposed to last 100,000 mikes, but we all know, that just is not going to happen. And the flushing without a radiator cap, is not going to be as easy, or work quite as well as the old days. We will all get to face that situation though soon. Hey there is nothing wrong with trying to do things as preventative maintenance and try to save money. Go ahead and do it, you will not mess anything up. I get the idea, that you have not done a lot of mechanic work in the past, but from your responses, you are doing a fine job. Keep it up, the more you do, the more that it will boost your confidence level. Really like helping guys like you that are TRYING, because a lot of people do not and just pay to have it done. My Dad was like that, and I had my mind made up that I was NOT going to be like that. I will try anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Supposedly, the coolant now days is supposed to last 100,000 mikes, but we all know, that just is not going to happen.
I just did my C7 (starting my 6th year of ownership this May) and the bottle of Dexcool I bought says "5 years of corrosion protection" right on the bottle. It's not something I really thought about needing since I only have 35,000 miles on it, but I guess I'll do it every 5 years on my vehicles now.

The system in my C7 looks remarkably similar to the one in the Twins. Most guys flush using the procedure outlined in the first post. When I refilled the coolant, I added the recommended amount of pure Dexcool and then topped it off with water. After sitting for a day I was able to add about another pint of water. Haven't had a chance to take a test drive yet but I'll toss a gallon of distilled water in the passenger seat and check it when I arrive at my destination.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
IMO, best to pay a service ctr $59.95 to do a power flush...this way you're not also having to deal w/a few gallons of bio-hazard when done. I used to swap coolant, but no more...messy, time consuming and I've got better things to do w/my time.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Supposedly, the coolant now days is supposed to last 100,000 mikes, but we all know, that just is not going to happen. And the flushing without a radiator cap, is not going to be as easy, or work quite as well as the old days. We will all get to face that situation though soon. Hey there is nothing wrong with trying to do things as preventative maintenance and try to save money. Go ahead and do it, you will not mess anything up. I get the idea, that you have not done a lot of mechanic work in the past, but from your responses, you are doing a fine job. Keep it up, the more you do, the more that it will boost your confidence level. Really like helping guys like you that are TRYING, because a lot of people do not and just pay to have it done. My Dad was like that, and I had my mind made up that I was NOT going to be like that. I will try anything.

Thanks! I appreciate the help!!

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Pure water cools better than anti-freeze does. Since you live in FL, you really don't need a lot of freeze protection. You need better heat transfer.

For my non-winter vehicles, I use 25% antifreeze, and a bottle of surfactant like Red Line Water Wetter.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
A proper 50/50 mixture not only lowers the freeze temperature, it also raises the boiling temperature of your coolant. The mixture also inhibits corrosion and deterioration of gaskets. Antifreeze should always be used with water in a 50/50 mixture.
100%, agree!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Why flushing it so soon isn’t dexcool good for 5 years or 150,000miles

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Why flushing it so soon isn’t dexcool good for 5 years or 150,000miles
GM says it is, but do you really think antifreeze would last for 150,000 miles? The recommended service is 5 years/150,000 miles, which is always after the manufacturer warranty, so no problems show up that they would have to warranty.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I would replace at 5 years for sure. In Sept. my truck will be 3 years old, but only has 15,000 miles now.

Reactions: greco2003

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I was thinking about testing it but the manual says every 5 year anyway. I am at year 4 so I just want to be proactive and like to research early. My biggest fear is doing something to maintain my truck but then actually being the cause of an issue! But I also hate spending hundred of dollars to do things that I could do on my own, especially when I really enjoy doing it. It’s fun for me since I don’t get to work with my hands in my day job. I appreciate everyone sharing knowledge! When I actually get to this I will post results. I’m still looking at extracting/refilling tranny fluid first, but that is a whole different thread! I am
Finding that the more familiar I become with one system the more confidence I get with the others.

Thanks all!

About how many miles will you have at the 5 year mark? GM started using the Dexcool coolant in the early 2000’s, and at first it got a bad rap about engine damage, because it has a tendency to turn acidic with age, especially if left neglected or if the system runs low and air gets trapped, and with this engine being aluminum, I really think it would be good to replace it at the 5 year mark. That is my opinion, and that is what I have done on my Trans Am that is 17 1/2 years old and less than 17,000 miles at this point. I know, that I am probably throwing good coolant away, but better safe than sorry. $40 every 5 years is cheap enough.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
About how many miles will you have at the 5 year mark? GM started using the Dexcool coolant in the early 2000’s, and at first it got a bad rap about engine damage, because it has a tendency to turn acidic with age, especially if left neglected or if the system runs low and air gets trapped, and with this engine being aluminum, I really think it would be good to replace it at the 5 year mark. That is my opinion, and that is what I have done on my Trans Am that is 17 1/2 years old and less than 17,000 miles at this point. I know, that I am probably throwing good coolant away, but better safe than sorry. $40 every 5 years is cheap enough.
Now you're making me think about doing the Mrs-mobile. Its a 2004 V6 Hyundai and, it MIGHT hit 15K this weekend if she actually goes out. (14,992 as of yesterday when I gassed it up) Yep, 1000 miles a year but still looks like it came out of the showroom........ but its a Hyundai. >:)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts