Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me today that if you are going to switch from conventional oil to synthetic you have to do something special to make sure all the conventional oil is out of the engine first or something to that effect, because they don't mix.

Any truth to that? Would there need to be anything I do special to make a switch?

·
Registered
9,570 Posts
With synthetic having been around this long you'd think people who stop spouting bullshit. I guess not.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Like said above, just change it. It will be fine. Yeah some minds are hard to change. I guess I would be one of them. I use full synthetic and I still try to change my oil at about 3-4k....I just dont feel comfortable going 5-10k.

·
Registered
557 Posts
i would do a flush just to get all the nasty degradable dino oil out. i'm doing the change next oil change

·
Registered
35 Posts
i was told that you only need synthetic really, if you have a supercar or a truck that hauls really heavy loads.

syn. is so darn expensive!

·
Registered
635 Posts
There always seems to be someone selling amsoil that comes up with a new "truth" or a long time mechanic that can't let go of a 25 year old rumor. Things are just higher tech these days. Even the batteries in your calculator are made to last longer :roll: :roll: :roll:

If you want to learn for yourself, do yourself a favor and look at http://bobistheoilguy.com/ [lots of reading required] to get real truths and opinions from oil users.

Synthetic is not expensive unless you proscribe to the outdated "every 3000 mile" myth. The better protection and extended intervals negates the cost of a quart.

p.s. before anyone flames; I'm not bashing all amsoil guys, but there are plenty of independant seller sites out there to make the stuff look like snake oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts