Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just got my 2017 Z-71, and I'm new to this Forum. I haven't had any luck with a search. Has anyone posted a DIY for removing the console? I want to run some wires to switches in the front "well" of the console for lighting and a remote switch for a Gate opener. On my 2006 Canyon, I soldered two wires on the terminals of a battery powered remote, mounted it under the hood, and ran the wires through the firewall to a switch on the side of the console. The 2006 console was a snap to remove since the gear lever was on the column, and all the mounting screws were visible. I can't find any attachment points on my new Colorado. I'm sure they are "hidden" under panels that are held on with clips, but I'm afraid to start prying on random plastic parts. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Gecko, welcome. There are more detailed posts on taking the console apart. The sides come off with a pry tool, as does the switch panel with the hazards. The switch panel is in there tight, go easy from one side. Once that's off there are 2 screws that hold the USB/Lighter panel in. Couple of picts to give you an idea. Like I said, there is more info with better details out there, you just have do search.
Good Luck
Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Carlmyman,
You are my hero! I am on my way out to my shop to try this out. I am also thinking about installing another USB outlet next to the stock one in the front "well" of the console. I think it would be useful for charging only, and could come off of the 12V powr outlet. I've seen some that are the size of a rocker switch, and have a 2.1, and 1.0 amp output.
Now...........Out to the shop!

·
Premium Member
4,885 Posts
As far as running wire under the console, I used 5 sets of thick A/V wires (at least as thick or a little thicker than a pencil) thru the console without having to remove it. Thats 10 wires in total and still had plenty of room for more.

If you can find one, buy yourself a speedometer repair kit. It is study as hell but will bend easily and much easier that trying to fish wires through with a standard electrical fishing snake.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...smq1He3joeoOXR6oPiBoCuv0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Reactions: RatRacer
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.