Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I saw where a GM Engineer said with the oil pump in the back the labor would be cheaper to change the belt than to have the belt changed on the front of the engine.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I saw where a GM Engineer said with the oil pump in the back the labor would be cheaper to change the belt than to have the belt changed on the front of the engine.
I agree, it is not that hard to drop a tranny, rather then get in and remove all the stuff on the front of the motors..

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Better than changing the timing belt on the 2.8 Duramax and I don’t see that stopping anyone from buying them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I agree, it is not that hard to drop a tranny, rather then get in and remove all the stuff on the front of the motors..
Better than changing the timing belt on the 2.8 Duramax and I don’t see that stopping anyone from buying them.
Wow, you three were thinking exactly what I was thinking. I remember some engines had only 60,000 mile life timing belts. 150,000 miles is a long time.

I would add though if you ever had transmission work done after 100,000 miles you'd probably just get this belt changed at that time. Sort of like how on some engines if you change a timing belt you change the water pump too.

My main concern would be if the thing really doesn't last 150,000 miles. I usually shy away from new things, but in this case it would probably be well in excess of three years before you knew these belts were problematic, unless GM really overestimated their lifespan.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I now have a little over 1600 miles on my 3.0 Duramax. In my opinion its exceptional so far. Its super smooth and quiet. Its incredibly responsive off the line. There is zero lag when you hit the pedal to the time the vehicle responds.A bit less so when overtaking on the highway. The 10 speed it's paired with shifts seamlessly for the most part. Cruising 60-65 on the highway will return 28 - 32ish mpg. That's in a crew cab standard box truck. The fuel economy drops somewhat quickly as speed and drag increases. Going 75-80 it will return 21-24ish mpg depending on slope. More often then not its towards the 23ish mpg.

I'm getting over 500 miles per tank. That's about 19-21 gallons at fill up. In the 1600 miles I've driven the DIC shows i've used MAYBE 1/8 DEF. If you're looking to up-size trucks I'd definitely encourage you to check em out!

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Sounds great! The 3.0 sounds like it returns comparable mileage numbers to the 2.8, all in a much bigger truck, and of course it is a much quieter more refined package. That is impressive.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts