Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I watched a few of Chad's videos. Kinda awestruck that the new 3.0 calls for a 0w-20 weight oil. DexosD. Towing 10,000 lbs in the dead of summer up and down mountains with 0w-20 would be a major mindset change for me, but I guess GM has done their homework.

I have read where an inline configuration can accommodate larger crankshaft rod bearings that a V config normally might, so that's somewhat comforting.

·
Registered
396 Posts
DexosD is a much more clear nomenclature. I wonder how many 2.8s received the wrong oil between the dexos1gen 2 vs dexos2.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I don't know, call me crazy, but I don't understand buying a full size truck and not buying the full size diesel. The 2.8 was perfect for the Colorado/Canyon because they are small trucks, and it was a unique combination. My buddy has the RAM ecodiesel, and that motor is barely adequate for a full size truck, just IMO.
The inadequate 3.0L Duramax has more power than an old 460 or 454 V8, they used to be more than adequate:cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't know, call me crazy, but I don't understand buying a full size truck and not buying the full size diesel. The 2.8 was perfect for the Colorado/Canyon because they are small trucks, and it was a unique combination. My buddy has the RAM ecodiesel, and that motor is barely adequate for a full size truck, just IMO.
My buddy had a Ram ecodiesel until today. Brought it in for the EGR recall, was told he would be without the truck for about 2 months before they have parts to fix it. He was already tired of the $300 oil changes - 10-1/2 quarts!!! The recall delaywas his last straw so he was able to force a buyback and went back to a 5.7 hemi gasser.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
My buddy had a Ram ecodiesel until today. Brought it in for the EGR recall, was told he would be without the truck for about 2 months before they have parts to fix it. He was already tired of the $300 oil changes - 10-1/2 quarts!!! The recall delaywas his last straw so he was able to force a buyback and went back to a 5.7 hemi gasser.
$300 oil changes are dealers overcharging, nothing more. They don’t cost anywhere near that much to actually do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
$300 oil changes are dealers overcharging, nothing more. They don’t cost anywhere near that much to actually do.

Absolutely. But still... 10.5 quarts of oil?

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
Absolutely. But still... 10.5 quarts of oil?
Yeah, it’s a diesel. That’s common with diesels in trucks.

6.6 takes 10 quarts
6.7 Cummins takes 12 quarts
6.7 Powerstroke takes 13 quarts

So 10.5 quarts is pretty typical and Rotella T6 is inexpensive. $22.99/gal so $69 for 3 gallons and some left for the next oil change plus $20 for the oil filter and you’re at $89 in parts. Labor is no more than a gas engine so like $10 for the LOF dude to do the work. $99. Dealer then marks up the cost by 300%.

Reactions: Duken4evr

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Small change...after watching chad’s videos. I had my dealer locate me an SLT with the the driver alert 1 and 2 packages (preferred premium plus). It also comes with the Bose, Nav and wireless charging for 3k more. The kicker for me was the additional cameras that came with it that will be great for towing, the forward alert which I have really loved with my canyon, and the wireless charging. They could only find it in dark sky metallic which I really like! Heard from them this morning and I’m picking it up Friday. 52k. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Here's a new review of the 3.0 Duramax. One thing I noticed is that they claim it has start/stop. I've not heard that before and I'm not sure I like it. Anyway, not a lot of other detail but FWIW, it rated one of Ward's ten best engine/trans combinations, over the Ford and Ram 3.0s.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
There’s a button on the dash to disable auto stop/start so you’re not forced to use it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The combustion at idle on these new diesels ain’t great due to emissions, you’re better off letting it shutoff rather than idle it. They know what they’re doing and the start stop has improved over the years, I’d give it a shot. You bought a diesel for mpg you might be impressed with what u can achieve.

the button is good for stop and go traffic, where it’s just turning on and off repeatedly. For a road with stop lights start stop is pretty useful in boosting mpg.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The mechanical mindset says 0W-20 oil strictly for MPG's, crappy battery charging algorithms that are there strictly for MPG's makes me say no thanks for that Start/stop stuff. All that wear in my mind is at the expense of the vehicle owner. More battery and starter replacements and the ecological impacts that are not considered in the equation, also unknown additional engine wear.....

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree. If we get new trucks and have the internals modded for the oil and no way around the charging algorithm our backs are again the wall. If u can’t beat em join em?

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
There’s a button on the dash to disable auto stop/start so you’re not forced to use it.
I'm just surprised I haven't seen it mentioned. My concern is how you turn it off. On some you need to do it every time you turn the vehicle on.

I read up on the start/stop parameters of another vehicle (Ranger?), and there were quite a few situations where it would not shut off the engine. I would assume the diesel probably has even more.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The mechanical mindset says 0W-20 oil strictly for MPG's
When Mobil-1 was first introduced it was 0W-20, or something crazy low like that, back when most engines were 10W-40 or 10W-30. Mobil claimed it was fine to use in all engines, and I never had any issues with it, but I never put enough miles on as a student to really give it a good test.

I suspect they just started making multiple weights to generate more sales.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yeah, it’s a diesel. That’s common with diesels in trucks.

6.6 takes 10 quarts
6.7 Cummins takes 12 quarts
6.7 Powerstroke takes 13 quarts
My 12.8 Detroit Diesel in my other truck takes 40 quarts. ???

·
Registered
2 Posts
The oil pump is ran by a belt and you have to drop the transmission to change it. Not digging that at all. If it wasn’t for that I would consider it.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
The oil pump is ran by a belt and you have to drop the transmission to change it. Not digging that at all. If it wasn’t for that I would consider it.
Yeah, weird design choice. Oil pump belt needs to be replaced every 150k miles, same as the timing belt in the 2.8 Duramax. Chain or gear drive that would last the life of the engine would've made the most sense, will be interesting to see how much it actually costs to replace that belt. Hopefully it's not a huge, expensive ordeal otherwise I'm with you on that being a potential deal-breaker.

Reactions: streamintrip

·
Registered
2 Posts
The new inline 3.0 6cyl Sierra Duramax is about to arrive at my local dealer and I’m very intrigued. It’s time for me to upgrade with 73k miles on my slt mini max canyon and Employee pricing is going on....but the twins aren’t included for some reason. Anyone else considering this? I don’t know why I’m so nervous.
I am a pilot car and have been researching Trucks from the Ram Chevy/ GMC full size and Colorado to me the 3.0 has not been out long enough to get all the kinks out ( Confirmed by service Dept in Chevy Dealership) and went with the Colorado considering I rarely haul / tow and I'm on the Highway more than most

21 - 40 of 66 Posts