Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new inline 3.0 6cyl Sierra Duramax is about to arrive at my local dealer and I’m very intrigued. It’s time for me to upgrade with 73k miles on my slt mini max canyon and Employee pricing is going on....but the twins aren’t included for some reason. Anyone else considering this? I don’t know why I’m so nervous.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I'd be nervous just because it's new. I could see myself buying it in 2-3 years (unless they put that engine in the next Colorado). I think they will have more deals, so I wouldn't be too quick to act. I'm actually surprised they have any deals right now given the recent strike. In 2019 during Feb-Apr they had good discounts on Colorados, if that helps.

BTW, Fast Lane Truck's IKE test showed the exhaust brake didn't work well, but I think it's questionable they had it turned on. I believe this may be the only 3.0 diesel that has an exhaust brake.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
I saw this earlier in the week. My dealer is offering $5,800 off list, on top of other discounts, on the 3.0 Sierra, but they only have one right now. They have 8 2.8 Colorados in stock and 21 on order, so I suspect that means the 3.0s are still in short supply.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I was in the same situation a month ago. I really like the 3.0L in line 6 Duramax. I really got used to the size of my 2016 Canyon Duramax, had no issues other than alternator pulley spitting lube, so with the addition of the 6 way seat in the new Canyon, for even more comfort, I went with another Canyon Duramax.
The only other truck I would even consider would be the 3.0L Duramax. Had several 6.6L Duramax trucks when I needed a HD for hauling my old 35 foot toy hauler, but when I downsized to my current trailer (23 ft, 7500 gvw, 6000 lbs actual weight with gear and Generator) , the Canyon Diesel is the best fit for me.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Interested to see if they use the same part number nox and pm sensors as our trucks. If so, I would wonder if they partly used us as the pilot for that truck.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
Interested to see if they use the same part number nox and pm sensors as our trucks. If so, I would wonder if they partly used us as the pilot for that truck.
I'm sure they learned things, but a lot of the system is quite different. EGR for example is further downstream. And I think the intercooler system is considerably different.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah agreed the 3.0 is a different beast, but interested to see if they used us to ease some growing pains where they could

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well I will be able to tell everyone more about the 3.0 shortly...I pulled the trigger today. I never thought I would leave the twins after loving my 15 collie v6 and being amazed by my 17 canyon mini max, but the deal was too hard to pass up. I love all the luxury features of the SLT and they wanted 47k for the new canyon Dmax with no incentives. I prob could have gotten a couple grand off but that’s redic for not changing really anything since my 17.

I was able to get a loaded SLT Sierra 1500 with the 3.0 silver metallic with premium plus package, spray liner, and at3 suspension for 9700 off msrp and still got 24k for my canyon with 72k mi. 49k after rebates and ee pricing. I had to do it. I can’t wait to try out the tons of luxury items that are not available on the twins. Super pumped. I’ll let you know when it hits the ground and I can actually drive it!

Pic not the actual truck. Same color and set up essentially.
Ben

·
Registered
596 Posts
That's a nice looking truck ! I am one of those guys that just can't drive an ugly truck. I'd drive that all day long ! LOL

Having said that, as others have said, I'm sure they learned a lil' something something from our trucks. That straight 6 engine -------on paper------ has all the makings of a super good engine. Although it is most certainly geared towards the "you gotta bring it back to the dealer for that" type of long term maintenance. If there is no built in fail points, it should easily make it to the 150,000 mile belt change interval.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Can't wait to hear your impressions and longer term experiences with the 3.0.

In case you have not seen them, this guy has quite a YouTube channel dedicated to his new 3.0. The 3.0 sure is smooth and tows his travel trailer nicely. He is getting outstanding fuel economy too. Should be enough material there on Chad's channel to keep you drooling until your ride arrives ?

I really like the instrument cluster and DIC on the new truck, it even includes a full DEF level gauge. The 40 day video shows the oil does still turn black from EGR - I was curious about that due to the new low pressure filtered EGR system.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Fantastic choice, love the Satin Steel color. It will be nice to drive a full size truck and get better fuel economy than any gas truck and most SUV's on the road.
My friend is waiting on his Black Sierra SLT with the Duramax, he can't wait.
Around here the diesel is a more popular choice for truck buyers, they are everywhere, the 2.8L Diesel Canyon is getting so popular the dealers have trouble keeping them in stock. I suspect there will be a ton of the 3.0L Duramax trucks around soon.

Reactions: Ben F and Duken4evr

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I think you will enjoy the new 2020 Sierra, If I did not live in the city I woud probably have one

but thought I would thrwo this out there, On TV commercials GM and Chevy have been running adds and listing how much off on each model.
I checked my local GM dealer and the 2020 Canyon Diesel has approx $5,000 of them,(has 18 in stock) more if take possesion by a certain date

• MSRP $43,685
  • Dealer Discount + GM Price Reduction Below MSRP 1
    - $4,680
  • Purchase Bonus Cash 2
    - $1,500 Take Retail Delivery By 1/2/20
  • Customer Cash 3
    - $1,000 Take Retail Delivery By 1/2/20
  • Sale Price $36,505
  • Savings $7,180

Reactions: Ben F

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think you will enjoy the new 2020 Sierra, If I did not live in the city I woud probably have one

but thought I would thrwo this out there, On TV commercials GM and Chevy have been running adds and listing how much off on each model.
I checked my local GM dealer and the 2020 Canyon Diesel has approx $5,000 of them,(has 18 in stock) more if take possesion by a certain date

• MSRP $43,685
  • Dealer Discount + GM Price Reduction Below MSRP 1
    - $4,680
  • Purchase Bonus Cash 2
    - $1,500 Take Retail Delivery By 1/2/20
  • Customer Cash 3
    - $1,000 Take Retail Delivery By 1/2/20
  • Sale Price $36,505
  • Savings $7,180
Very interesting! I will take another look right now. Although I think I’m pretty convinced on the upgrade. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Can't wait to hear your impressions and longer term experiences with the 3.0.

In case you have not seen them, this guy has quite a YouTube channel dedicated to his new 3.0. The 3.0 sure is smooth and tows his travel trailer nicely. He is getting outstanding fuel economy too. Should be enough material there on Chad's channel to keep you drooling until your ride arrives

I really like the instrument cluster and DIC on the new truck, it even includes a full DEF level gauge. The 40 day video shows the oil does still turn black from EGR - I was curious about that due to the new low pressure filtered EGR system.

Ummm I had no idea. Logging in now. Thank you!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The new 3.0 Duramax is very tempting, I have looked at several of them online. Living in Idaho, the ZR2 best suits my needs for off-roading, hunting, & camping. I do wish I had a bigger truck to pull my camper with. I'm going to wait a few years and revisit this after the new 3.0 Duramax gets some miles on it. If this new motor proves to be reliable with no problems, I'm going to pull the trigger in a few years.

Ben F, I hope this truck works out for you. Please keep us informed about it, I'm interested in hearing your experience with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know, call me crazy, but I don't understand buying a full size truck and not buying the full size diesel. The 2.8 was perfect for the Colorado/Canyon because they are small trucks, and it was a unique combination. My buddy has the RAM ecodiesel, and that motor is barely adequate for a full size truck, just IMO.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I don't know, call me crazy, but I don't understand buying a full size truck and not buying the full size diesel. The 2.8 was perfect for the Colorado/Canyon because they are small trucks, and it was a unique combination. My buddy has the RAM ecodiesel, and that motor is barely adequate for a full size truck, just IMO.
I used to drive a full sized Dodge Ram with the 5.9l Cummins. Loved the truck, and loved the engine.

BUT... the truck weighs nearly 3.5 tons empty. A big diesel engine is very heavy. And it got 18mpg on a good day. I only tow a 5K# trailer. The heavy duty suspension was a bit harsh when unloaded.

A smaller lighter engine will still tow my little trailer, weigh a lot less, get better mileage, and be cheaper to buy. With the 1/2 ton suspension, it will also be more comfortable to drive unloaded. What's not to like about any of that? :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It’s going to be my daily driver and I do 25k miles per year. I need the 25mpg.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts