Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you Colorado / Canyon fans / owners considering a switch to the new Jeep Gladiator? I have a 2017 Canyon Denali and it's a great truck but I love the open air options and Jeep looks of the Gladiator. I also hear the rear seat leg room is better too. My Denali is a long bed and I really need the long bed vs the short bed a lot of times, so I would have trouble making a switch for that reason. If Jeep came out with a 6' bed option with the 4 door Gladiator, I'd be very interested. Anyone else??

·
Registered
298 Posts
Overall impression was not impressed in any way. Its fugly, didn't drive nice at all and it's still a fiat... judging by the track record I've had with wranglers it will be a hard pass.

·
Registered
248 Posts
No.

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
Are any of you Colorado / Canyon fans / owners considering a switch to the new Jeep Gladiator? I have a 2017 Canyon Denali and it's a great truck but I love the open air options and Jeep looks of the Gladiator. I also hear the rear seat leg room is better too. My Denali is a long bed and I really need the long bed vs the short bed a lot of times, so I would have trouble making a switch for that reason. If Jeep came out with a 6' bed option with the 4 door Gladiator, I'd be very interested. Anyone else??
Moving from the Denali to a soft-top Gladiator is going to be quite a conversion.

I haven't looked at the interior, the exterior does not do much for me in general. I still can't fathom mounting lights in those fenders like that - asking for them to get destroyed offroad. I miss my soft-top Wrangler at least 2-4 weeks a year, basically 2 weeks in spring and 2 weeks in fall.

Of course, the $60K price tag to get a Gladiator with options like a Denali seems a bit crazy from my end, but if you paid for a Denali, maybe you won't mind.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
As someone that has owned many Jeeps over the years, including a 2015 JKUR (sold), I was really tempted by the Gladiator until I priced one out. That killed it. $60k for a mid-size truck, not going to happen. If I'm going to spend that kind of money then I'll get a full-size HD truck and not have to worry about hitting my tow limit ever again.

If I could get an EcoDiesel Gladiator for the price I paid for my Canyon Denali diesel new then it would be tempting, but at $60k or more nope.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
No.

Too expensive and as a daily driver the Canyon is a better choice. Better ride, handling and quiet. Also no leaks or stone chips upnthe sides.

If it was a weekend toy that you took out to play with that would be fine but not for a comfortable daily drive.

As I have said zoning a Jeep is a Jeep thing. You have to make compromises to own a Jeep and if you are fin3 with that it is ok. But Jeeps are not for everyone.

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
I had an FJ Cruiser pass me on the freeway today, forgot all about them as 4 WD vehicles. I really like them.

Reactions: Redliner04

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Wait three years for the shakedown

Reactions: lcashmer

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in the position now where I'm actively shopping for a mid-size truck, considering new but likely going the used route.

That being said, I drove the Gladiator and am making the time to drive a Canyon and Ranger next Monday. I'm a Jeep fan boy. I've loved every Jeep I've ever owned/driven. That being said, the one I drove was very basic, very few options, and as much as I wanted to buy it, I couldn't stomach paying $37k for a base model Jeep truck when I know I can find a brand new leftover '19 F150 XLT for less money, with 3x the options, better MPG, more room, bigger bed, better towing, etc..

If you could get the Gladiator with minimal options for $30-32k, I would probably own one right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a Jeep before l purchased my ZR2. No way l would purchase another. The Gladiator is not appealing to the eye.

·
Registered
185 Posts
On top of just loving my ZR2 this says enough for me, the ride alone is better than just about anything out there like what is highlighted to give the Colorado the win here over the Gladiator and sad Taco:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I drove a Gladiator Rubicon, lift and 37's, north of 70k. Nice rig, I liked the interior, bed is SHORT. Ride is not as nice as my ZR2. Too much money for what you get, off road I don't think it is as good as my truck.

Reactions: Skidog

·
Registered
388 Posts
On top of just loving my ZR2 this says enough for me, the ride alone is better than just about anything out there like what is highlighted to give the Colorado the win here over the Gladiator and sad Taco:

I think the Taco doesn't even get to come to the comparison party. No power seats in a 40k plus option truck, unacceptable.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I work in Toledo near the plant where they are made. Some guys are Jeep guys, and some are not. I am not, but know many who are. I'm guessing you already know the answer. If you get a Jeep, there is a heck of a Jeep Fest party here once a year.

Bill

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
What I read in so many of these reviews is that this truck does this really well, that truck does that really well, the Twins, and for these offroad reviews, the ZR2, does everything good. May not be the best in every category reviewed, but it hangs with the best in all the categories and thus is the best overall choice.

If all you want to do is rock crawl, maybe the Gladiator is best. If all you want to do is brag about reliability as your frame snaps in two from the rust, the Taco is your choice. If you want the cheapest thing out there, probably a Frontier. If all you are going to do is go pick up a few bags of mulch at the bog box store while riding in some level of comfort, then check out the Ridgeline. If you want to go running around like a Ford Raptor, actually the Colorado may be the best choice from what I can read into these reviews.

If you want to do a little of it all, the Twins are going to be your choice. And the ZR2 seems to have the best value in the offroad world, and then aftermarket a few shields and bolt ons at a much lower price point than a Bison, and you are ready to rock & roll. (Oops, I guess the Ridgeline is the rock & roll choice, with the built in bed speaker. )

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have a Jeep dealer across the road from my place of employment. Have not driven one yet, but to me, it would be more of a toy than a daily driver. It looks like it is begging to be modified for off roading. They have one with the Overland pkg. over there with a MSRP around $51,000.00. I would be looking at a ZR2 at that amount and it would be a true trail machine. But then you do need the longer bed as I do, but you probably need 4 doors. I can easily live with an extended cab to get the longer box. ZR2 is my dream in a year or two.

·
Registered
4,636 Posts
A couple weeks ago itook my wife Grand Cherokee Overland High Altitude in for an oil change. They had 3 raised Gladiator, all with Fox shocks. Talking to a sales guy and he asked if I wanted to take one for a ride. like duh...we took the yellow one that was a Sport Model with 37inch Falken MT's on Fuel wheels. It rode pretty good, better then I thought it would, with those tires it was a little noisy. I woulld put a quieter tire on it.

They had a Rubicon with same lift, wheels and tires, that had steel cage doors and hi-lift jack and other stuff mounted on back with the spare tire. I did not ask the price on any of them. If I did not have to drive 450 miles each way every few weeks I would not mind thinking about buying one.

I think the lifted ones look a whole lot better then the none lifted Gladiators.

I was trying to figure out how to get adopted, as some folks were buying their 16 year old daughter a brand new 4-Door Wrangler limited....

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had an FJ Cruiser pass me on the freeway today, forgot all about them as 4 WD vehicles. I really like them.
I actually looked into one of those, still really nice for the age, yet most had waaay too many miles for the price. Plus I just liked the idea of keeping the truck bed. Really for what I got my Colorado for VS a many-years-older FJ was about the same...plus the Chevy just looks sick! =)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts