Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed in my settings that I can connect to my houses wifi while sitting in the drive way. Cool.

But I'm trying to think of a use case for that and why the option exists. I'm a "IT guy" by trade, but I don't know enough yet about the things the truck does. (2017 Z71 Colorado).

Also another networking question: If i connect 2 devices to my mobile hotspot but I am not subscribed to the service, will the truck still hadn out a DHCP address to those devices and can they communicate with each other? Curious , cause then my kids could connect their iphones to play Minecraft without me paying for the wifi. Some wifi networks have "client isolation" such that clients on the same subnet can't see each other and I'm not sure if this truck does or not.

Granted I could test all of this, but I like a nerdy chat as much as the next person. Thanks

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Your NERDS are way outside my league, but I would think the best reason for accessing WIFI would be to upload/download updates to the software of the truck. Allow dealer to use the WIFI in his service bay to update issues on truck.

I do think that my phone sees a wifi from my truck even without service, but since I am clueless as to most of this, I wouldn't even know how to test or use it.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
I noticed in my settings that I can connect to my houses wifi while sitting in the drive way. Cool.

But I'm trying to think of a use case for that and why the option exists. I'm a "IT guy" by trade, but I don't know enough yet about the things the truck does. (2017 Z71 Colorado).

Also another networking question: If i connect 2 devices to my mobile hotspot but I am not subscribed to the service, will the truck still hadn out a DHCP address to those devices and can they communicate with each other? Curious , cause then my kids could connect their iphones to play Minecraft without me paying for the wifi. Some wifi networks have "client isolation" such that clients on the same subnet can't see each other and I'm not sure if this truck does or not.

Granted I could test all of this, but I like a nerdy chat as much as the next person. Thanks
I think I see what you mean and I have no idea if it will work... So you mean you cant connect more than one device to your mobile hotspot? Right? So you want to see if you can connect the truck and use it as the DHCP server, then connect the other phones to the truck? Seams like if you could do that at all they would have to get their IP from the truck. That is going to be a try it and see thing. :) I bet the truck can hand out IPs because with the ATT service you can buy you can connect more than one device right? But of course that doesn't mean it is setup to do it when IT'S connected to a different network. I'm going to have to try more than one device connected to my Tmobile iphone now....lol. Does anyone make a mobile type router just for this purpose I wonder? Maybe a 12 volt one to stick in the glovebox or in our enormous center consoles.

I don't think my 2016 will connect to my phones hotspot, or house for that matter....??? :( ( I looked all over for that setting) If that was the case I could use Pandora without the stupid BT or plugging it in I guess. What other fancy internet thing does the 2017 do? What about traffic info without satellite service? That would be awesome, Navi with traffic on the screen (like google maps) with no phone needed.

AHHHH, feels good to get my geek on from time to time.....

:nerd:

Reactions: WHEELBURNS

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Your NERDS are way outside my league, but I would think the best reason for accessing WIFI would be to upload/download updates to the software of the truck. Allow dealer to use the WIFI in his service bay to update issues on truck.

I do think that my phone sees a wifi from my truck even without service, but since I am clueless as to most of this, I wouldn't even know how to test or use it.
Yes, if its turned on you can see my truck's wifi broadcasting without using the service. That's exactly why I named it "Im watching you" . Seemed a bit more creative then "My Truck" ahaha

You can turn the broadcasting off and on, and rename it in your online account somewhere.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
If you connect to your home network, GM can send their semi hilarious nanny emails on your driving every month, and, more importantly, you can potentially receive an update on your Infotainment system's software.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So to clarify a few things

1: It seems the usefulness of adding my truck to my home wifi is limited to receiving updates... unless I feel like voiding my terms of service :)
2: What I'd like to do is connect multiple devices to my trucks hotspot _WITHOUT_ the hotspot itself having any internet, then get the ip address each device (it'll likely be on the 192.168.0.0 or 10.0.0.0), and then just see if a ping between them works. That'll be enough for Minecraft.
@JScottM - So here is a fun suggestion for you. All routers are DC inside :). Find one that runs at 12v (most do coincidentally). Clip the wire from the wall-wort and splice it onto a cig lighter adapter. Plug it in and the router should boot up. Thus providing a wifi network within your truck. It won't have internet access, but kids can then game with each other so long as the game doesn't require internet. Minecraft runs it's own server on the iPad so no internet is needed, only LAN/WLAN. ***DISCLAIMER*** electronic devices like fairly stable voltages. Doing what I suggested has the chance of frying your device because the voltage of your cig lighter is not guaranteed to be exactly 12v. _BUT_ if you find a router 10 bucks that you don't mind frying, it's a great experiment.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
So to clarify a few things

1: It seems the usefulness of adding my truck to my home wifi is limited to receiving updates... unless I feel like voiding my terms of service :)
2: What I'd like to do is connect multiple devices to my trucks hotspot _WITHOUT_ the hotspot itself having any internet, then get the ip address each device (it'll likely be on the 192.168.0.0 or 10.0.0.0), and then just see if a ping between them works. That'll be enough for Minecraft.

@JScottM - So here is a fun suggestion for you. All routers are DC inside :). Find one that runs at 12v (most do coincidentally). Clip the wire from the wall-wort and splice it onto a cig lighter adapter. Plug it in and the router should boot up. Thus providing a wifi network within your truck. It won't have internet access, but kids can then game with each other so long as the game doesn't require internet. Minecraft runs it's own server on the iPad so no internet is needed, only LAN/WLAN. ***DISCLAIMER*** electronic devices like fairly stable voltages. Doing what I suggested has the chance of frying your device because the voltage of your cig lighter is not guaranteed to be exactly 12v. _BUT_ if you find a router 10 bucks that you don't mind frying, it's a great experiment.
yes it should work great, provided it says 12 volt on the back by the little hole and you get the polarity right. ;) Actually that is a perfect suggestion for yourself, if the truck doesn't work that is....The router would probably get killed from the heat though......:(

A good reason to find one purposely made just for this, big heat sinks and good voltage regulator.

Didn't realize minecraft doesn't need internet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah MC doesn't need internet for local iOS games. One of them runs the server and they use some TCP broadcast thing to find each other.

Worse case ontario, I can put a heat sink on the spare router I have here beside my desk and put it behind the trucks seat.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
This only works on 2017 (and up hopefully). I just had the HMI on my 2016 updated to hopefully solve the occasional random reboot. The latest firmware doesn't add this capability to 2016's. Hopefully stability is improved.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
This only works on 2017 (and up hopefully). I just had the HMI on my 2016 updated to hopefully solve the occasional random reboot. The latest firmware doesn't add this capability to 2016's. Hopefully stability is improved.
Mine is a 2016 and I've never seen a 'reboot'. Do you mean the whole screen just goes out and then it comes back up with the gm graphics just like when you turn the key on? I have had the rear view camera go goofy then a message saying it needed repair or something. Only did it once so I'm not going to worry about it I guess. Is that latest firmware supposed to fix anything like that?

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Yeah MC doesn't need internet for local iOS games. One of them runs the server and they use some TCP broadcast thing to find each other.

Worse case ontario, I can put a heat sink on the spare router I have here beside my desk and put it behind the trucks seat.
Well does your truck hand out IP addresses like a realtor hands out business cards?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My display would black out for about 2 seconds and if I was running NAV, come back on with a "loading map" message or something to that effect. It takes a while to load the map. This might happen 1 or 2 times in a week unless it got unusually crabby for some reason. The update was just installed today so it will be a couple weeks before I'm confident my issue is corrected. The description below reads like a general bugfix/stability improvement.

The TSB is 17-NA-105 and the description reads:

Repeated radio/display resets, Volume control inoperative, Service rear vision system message, Radio turns on unwanted at startup, And/or navigation radio destination state defaults to WV.

Mine is a 2016 and I've never seen a 'reboot'. Do you mean the whole screen just goes out and then it comes back up with the gm graphics just like when you turn the key on? I have had the rear view camera go goofy then a message saying it needed repair or something. Only did it once so I'm not going to worry about it I guess. Is that latest firmware supposed to fix anything like that?

·
Registered
1 Posts
While this is an old thread, the original thread about a use case is what I have tried to do before :)
I'd rather be able to use my iPhone's hotspot as the network, have the car hook into that, and then deal IP addresses out to other car devices that basically use my phones internet (not the car).
I can achieve this with a travel router (including having the car connect to that), but it would be nice if the car had its own 'travel router' :)
(For those nerds who are interested, the down side is that you have to toggle 'Personal Hotspot' on and off each time you want to use it. (Its an Apple security thing).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.