Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I noticed some condensation in the driver's side tail light. Having the clear tail lights on the Canyon, it really stands out, at least to me. So I took a picture and called the dealer today. I told the service department that I really wanted to replace the tail light and was informed that "Condensation in the tail lights is normal". I wasn't having that. I told them that they don't sell new trucks with condensation in the tail lights and I wanted it fixed or replaced under warranty. He finally agreed to let me bring it in Friday when I get off of work and they will look at it. The he asks "is this on the front of the truck or rear of the truck?". I told him the driver's side tail light. He asked again, "Is that on the front or rear?". I told him again "THE TAIL LIGHT!". At that point, he puts the service manager on the phone. He asks....Front of the truck or rear of the truck? I told him.....It's a TAIL LIGHT!. O refuse to explain to the service manager where a tail light is located! I don't see this going well!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Hope you can get a replacement. Usually they dont replace unless there is actual water inside pooling. But some dealers are better than others.

The normal "blame" is that the difference in temperature inside and outside will cause the condensation and thats what they try to use to not replace it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I had one replaced under warranty that the seal was broken on and allowed water to get in and sit. The other one just had condensation like yours, which they didn't replace.

2017 GMC Canyon Denali V6 4x4

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Have you ever removed the light/bulbs...e.g. broken the original seals? Just curious...

Hope the dealer's "A team" is on shift when you bring the truck in for the assessment.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to call the local Chevy Dealer once again. Not my first rodeo with the GM dealer. They told me that the condensation is not normal and that not knowing which end of the truck the tail lights are is insane! They are going to try and get me in at 7 am Fri morning for a quick look and hopefully get me a new one ordered. The local dealers all do oil changes on Friday and Saturday and no real service. They're talking about putting me in a loaner. They said there is a 4 day waiting period currently for diagnostics. I really don't want a loaner, unless it's an AT4 or ZR2! LOL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you ever removed the light/bulbs...e.g. broken the original seals? Just curious...

Hope the dealer's "A team" is on shift when you bring the truck in for the assessment.
I removed both reverse bulbs and replaced them with Diode Dynamics LED's about 5 months ago.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I have had condensation like that form ever so often since day on with my Colorado. Most times it is gone probably in an hour. I have even had condensation form on the outside of my headlight.
I get why the Service Manager would say it is normal.
Try to see if you can find a pin hole or hairline crack that would be causing it. That would help you sort out the problem and maybe help get it replaced.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I removed both reverse bulbs and replaced them with Diode Dynamics LED's about 5 months ago.
Interesting, you'd think this wouldn't be an issue b/c (1) bulbs burn out & require replacement & (2) owners like you elect to upgrade. Don't know if my trick prevented condensation, but I rubbed a small amount of silicone grease om the rubber & haven't had any condensation appear. Could be that, or simply sheer luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Obviously you wouldn't want to do this on a newer truck. But have on older vehicles just drilled a very tiny hole in the bottom lowest part of the lens (no dust ever seemed to get in there) and no more condensation. Did that on my 2007 Canyon and drove it several more years and lenses were always clear and still looked new. No one would ever know I did it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting, you'd think this wouldn't be an issue b/c (1) bulbs burn out & require replacement & (2) owners like you elect to upgrade. Don't know if my trick prevented condensation, but I rubbed a small amount of silicone grease om the rubber & haven't had any condensation appear. Could be that, or simply sheer luck.
Good idea on the grease. I might do that on the way to the dealer Friday morning and tell them I did that when I changed the bulbs. Lol

I really hope they don't make me get in a loaner and give me a ZR2 or an AT4. I can't afford a higher note right now! Lol

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pulled into the Chevy Dealer at 7am. Walked in and told them that I was supposed to speak with the Service Manager about a tail light issue this morning. The Service Adviser said yep, let me take a look at it. He walked out and said that the tail light was dry and asked to see the pictures. I showed him the one pic and he said "Yep! It's got a problem! I'll be right back.". 5 minutes later he returned and and told me that the tail light is on back order, but he has it ordered and will call me when it arrives. No problem! I have to say that I'm not really surprised. I've dealt with this dealer one other time for an Infotainment issue and the Service Manager fixed it in the parking lot. They also did my first oil change. They know that I'm under an Employee Discount Contract for another 6 months and haven't tried to sell me anything.

Years ago, this dealer was located across town and I bought a used Astro from them. That thing was a death trap from previous issues that I did not know about when I bought it. I had to threaten legal action for things like the rear bumper being installed by the corner trim alone and it had no bumper shocks. They were missing. They eventual made it right and the dealership was bought out and moved.

Hopefully the mods are okay with this, but I'm going to name names. Chevyland of Shreveport has to be one of if not the greatest customer service professionals in existence.

·
Registered
10,539 Posts

Hopefully the mods are okay with this, but I'm going to name names. Chevyland of Shreveport has to be one of if not the greatest customer service professionals in existence.
Back in early '80s, I would not have agreed with you. I went in looking to buy my first new car, a Chevy Cavalier. I was 24, single, making more money than I could drink, and showed up in cutoffs, tennis shoes with no socks, etc. The sales guy took me to the only Cavalier they had, according to him a station wagon. Now, did I look like a station wagon sort of guy? Ended up going up to Plain Dealings and bought a Celebrity after I realized the Cavalier was not comfortable.

When the Celebrity turned into a lemon before we had lemon laws, I ended up having to get Chevy District Manager involved when Chevyland couldn't figure out how to work on a front wheel drive car.

Glad they have improved in the 35 years since I dealt with them.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Good deal, glad to see they took action & you'll get the replacement tail.

Are you sure they ordered a "tail light?" ;) :D

·
Registered
647 Posts
Glad to hear that you are going to get that tail light replaced. Always good when you don't get the run around. I guess they have been having issues with some of the lights.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Back in early '80s, I would not have agreed with you. I went in looking to buy my first new car, a Chevy Cavalier. I was 24, single, making more money than I could drink, and showed up in cutoffs, tennis shoes with no socks, etc. The sales guy took me to the only Cavalier they had, according to him a station wagon. Now, did I look like a station wagon sort of guy? Ended up going up to Plain Dealings and bought a Celebrity after I realized the Cavalier was not comfortable.

When the Celebrity turned into a lemon before we had lemon laws, I ended up having to get Chevy District Manager involved when Chevyland couldn't figure out how to work on a front wheel drive car.

Glad they have improved in the 35 years since I dealt with them.
Obviously you wouldn't want to do this on a newer truck. But have on older vehicles just drilled a very tiny hole in the bottom lowest part of the lens (no dust ever seemed to get in there) and no more condensation. Did that on my 2007 Canyon and drove it several more years and lenses were always clear and still looked new. No one would ever know I did it.
This has been a problem for years after they started making 2 or more piece headlights and tail lights. Drilling a very small hole at the lowest point of them to supply a vent usually fixes the problem.

If you go back 10 years on this forum and search about "baking headlights", you will see where we were taking them apart and resealing them. I have found that the hole fixes the problem and have not resealed any in many years. About 6 months ago I drilled a tail light in a Ford Ranger for a friend. He has not had a problem since. What happens with the hole is as the light heats up from the bulb running or outside temperature changes, any accumulated water is forced out the hole. Then as it cools fresh air is pulled back in.

If you can get GM to replace them, great. Otherwise take the smallest drill bit you have and drill the hole. Then you are done with the problem as long as there is no major damage to the light and the bullb(s) are installed and sealed correctly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts