Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA concerning GM's lack of giving us a 4WD indicator light and not making the "Off-Road" menu available on these trucks. The complaint is now under review and if there are more complaints on this they will do a full investigation & a possible recall. I urge everyone of you to also file a complaint on this issue if you want results. You can refer to Complaint #11023887 which should post on their site within 48hrs and I will try to post an image of it here.

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I filed a complaint with the NHTSA concerning GM's lack of giving us a 4WD indicator light and not making the "Off-Road" menu available on these trucks. The complaint is now under review and if there are more complaints on this they will do a full investigation & a possible recall. I urge everyone of you to also file a complaint on this issue if you want results. You can refer to Complaint #11023887 which should post on their site within 48hrs and I will try to post an image of it here.
Sorry, just realized it was cut off.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Is this really a thing? A safety issue to the point where GM may be forced to provide an obnoxious red light on the dashboard or something?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is this really a thing? A safety issue to the point where GM may be forced to provide an obnoxious red light on the dashboard or something?
Yes it is when you must take your eyes off the road while driving to look down at that stupid knob to see what drive mode your in...I'm pretty sure that falls under a safety issue big time! That's the whole purpose of having the DIC right in front of you!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Sorry This is not a safety issue no matter how you spin it.

Is it annoying yes but this will never go anywhere.

I wonder what some of you did before auto hubs?

I just moved my seat back about 3/4 of an inch and my knee no longer hits the knob. You don't want the air bag that close anyways the hurt like a SOB.
Before auto locking hubs, I was my dad 4x4 indicator, lol. He put a mark on the hubs of our old Bronco indicating the correct position, and I was responsible for engaging/disengaging it.

The fact that people are bitching about this knob and there being no indicator on the dash is laughable. I'm able to see the knob through the holes in the steering wheel without issue with how I've got my seat positioned, it's not that difficult guys. I'm 6 foot tall and have never hit the knob. My dad is 6' 3, and with where he has to put the seat, he couldn't hit it either unless he tried.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yes it is when you must take your eyes off the road while driving to look down at that stupid knob to see what drive mode your in...I'm pretty sure that falls under a safety issue big time! That's the whole purpose of having the DIC right in front of you!
I agree that GM should put an indicator in the DIC for the sake of convenience, but there is absolutely no way this rises to the point of being a safety issue.

If I were at the NHTSA and read your complaint, I would dismiss it. You don't have to take your eyes off the road to check the dial. If you feel so certain that it is a safety issue, then do yourself and your fellow motorists a favor and get off the road, pull over, stop if you have to, and then check the dial.

There is zero chance this is a safety issue because there is no requirement for you to check the dial while driving.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Should have added some CRASH, FIRE, INJURIES and DEATHS to make it look better. :surprise:

·
Registered
285 Posts
If I were at the NHTSA and read the complaint, I'd stop reading at 'I MYSELF WAS DRIVING ON THE BEACH IN 4WD WHEN I WENT FISHING'.

First World Problems.

And nobody 'has' to take their eyes off the road to check what drive mode they're in. It's not important enough to take your eyes off the road to check. In that scenario, the problem is the operator not the vehicle.

It also seems to me turning the knob all the way counter clockwise puts it in 2WD. So if you're driving down the road and can't remember if you switched it back into 2WD after cruising along the beach after a day of fishing, give the knob a twist.

Sorry to be blunt, but the complaint is hollow.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Buys truck...doesn't like the controls on said truck...tries to force manufacturer via "safety issue" to alter truck to his liking....

Wow just wow....

Reactions: Hunter62 and JBT

·
Registered
126 Posts
Maybe Sallyboy should change his screen name to NancyBoy. Hahaha! Sorry, I couldn't resist, Nancy. Sally! Sorry, I meant Sally. Honest.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The operator of a vehicle has the responsibility to ensure safe operation before, during, and after ignition. This includes operation without a DIC, backup cam, or whatever assistive feature has been included.

Takes me way back to something my Dad said when he was teaching me: "If you can't find and adjust every control in your vehicle without taking your eyes off the road, you got no business being on the road with that vehicle."

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
You will see my complaint added to yours complaining about people who cannot walk out the door of their house with out momma holding their hand...sheesh

Reactions: dioriosigns
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.