Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had the RL since 2010 and its been extremely reliable but its been through 11 New England winters ( I dont stay home form work for snow), has 225K mikes and It just time to look for replacement. If this vehicle dropped dead tomorrow it would owe me nothing.

I really dont care for the new RL looks but finally test drove a 2019 RL Black Edition at a GMC dealer today. I also test drove a 2017 Colorado Z71 that they have and a 2019 Colorado Red Edition at another dealer.

The RL was underwhelming in response and really felt far more suv/car like than compared to my 2009. Comfortable but not overly impressed.
The 2017 Z71 has 34K miles on it and felt far more truck like (which I do like) and appears to be in good shape, its also Certified so it extends the warranty.
The 2019 Red Edition felt good but the interior and options were lacking in comparison to the Z71.

I will miss a few great things from my 09 RL, such as the tailgate, the inbed trunck,the power rear window and the old school Honda reliablity (which I dont think is there any longer, especially those built in Alabama) but I think its time to switch to Colorado or Canyon.

One dealer wants $33.5K for the 2017 Z71 with about 34K miles on it-new tires and certified, no tonneau which i would have to add
Other dealer wants $32K for a black 2019 Redline Edition LT with 27K miles on it-certified and with tonneau. Sharp looking truck, just needs more ammenitied like the Z71.

I am leaning towards the Z71 package and wondering if the 2017 is right priced or if I should wait out incentives on new or wait out some newer used low mile Z71's or possibly ZR2?
Also wondering about Canyon packages that may be similar to the Z71 in most areas.

BTW, the 2017 is the Graphite color that I really like.

The used prices are not too far off from new after incentives, but finding a new 2020 near me that I really like is proving difficult.

Oh another GMC dealer has a 2020 Denali with 7,500 miles on it for 38K.but they are closed weekend so I havent been able to test drive that one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome. You should be able to negotiate a new Z71 for 34/35(in my area anyways). I’d go for the Denali at that price if it checks out clean.

A ridgeline isn’t even a truck by my standards. Its a pilot with a bed. No frame, therefore no axle/off-road/tow worthy drivetrain. A lot less money goes into making a ridge line than a Colorado.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I'd stay away from the 2017 because you don't know it's history with transmission shudder on that model year.

I would go new given the difference in price isn't that great. That way you'll know the maintenance history and can break the truck in right.

BTW, to find inventory search individual dealer's websites, not the GM websites. The GM sites only have a fraction of the inventory and won't return trucks that are exactly what you want! It's crazy. When I was looking there were two GMC's exactly what I was looking for at a dealer in Tacoma, but I had to search their website to find them. Use Google Maps to find dealers you've never heard of.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know the RL isnt a full truck but it served my purposes well as a daily commuter with a bed. We had an Avalanche and now a Sierra AT4 for real truck stuff. At least the 2009 RL had some truck characteristics that the Honda Gen 2 completely gave up.

Thanks on the 2017 shudder reminder. The RL had similar but I maintained and kept it at bay it by changing tranny fluid which was easier than changing oil. Originally had to change fluid every 30K mikes or so, now its once or twice a year as the clutches wear more in the torque converter.

I may have a line on a new 2020 ZR2 at or just under 40K. Might have to take a look at that one

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I really dont care for the new RL looks but finally test drove a 2019 RL Black Edition at a GMC dealer today. I also test drove a 2017 Colorado Z71 that they have and a 2019 Colorado Red Edition at another dealer.

The RL was underwhelming in response and really felt far more suv/car like than compared to my 2009. Comfortable but not overly impressed.
you don't like the new look of the Ridgeline? Really? At least it doesn't look like a slip on shoe now. I have a friend that got that Black Edition, looks nice.
As far as felt suv/car like.....is that a bad thing??
I've never driven a Ridgline so I can't say ether way...
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you don't like the new look of the Ridgeline? Really? At least it doesn't look like a slip on shoe now. I have a friend that got that Black Edition, looks nice.
As far as felt suv/car like.....is that a bad thing??
I've never driven a Ridgline so I can't say ether way...
Good luck with your decision.
Agree on the Ridgeline Black Edition looking pretty good but I just didnt like the feel of the way it drove. I wanted to but like the feel of the Colorado in almost every area.

I got the same feeling last year driving a Tacoma and then a Canyon right after at the same dealer.The Canyon had so much more.T Toyota had de-tuned the hell out of Tacomoa to get very little more MPG in return

Trust me, being a former mechanic (still a backyard mechanic) I am leary of GM after very reliable old school Honda and Subaru for the last 25-30 years. My 1997 Subaru had 306K miles when I sold it-still running, my current 2009 RL has 224K miles on it.

Oh, and I actually liked the style, feel and ride ofr the Gen 1 Ridgeline.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Honest advice: If you're buying a used car, skip the dealer. You're paying thousands more just to line their pockets at the expense of whomever traded it in. They give them a good wash and detail, then throw them out on the lot while throwing away any documentation of history. You can buy an aftermarket warranty. Save the money, get a known history, and buy private party. There's zero benefits available from a dealership. I used to buy 2 cars a year for me, and bought several more for others. Not once was there ever a decent car at a dealership that wasn't overpriced by several thousand dollars.

More honest advice echoing the above: If you're set on buying from a dealer for some reason (seriously, don't; It's a lot of money for negative value), the price delta is negligible. Just go new. Then it's a known quantity AND you get to break it in properly, get the actual truck you actually want, etc. The biggest impact on the quality of the last 100K miles is the first 1K. BMWs are notorious for burning copious amounts of oil because their owners are notorious for being asshats who don't know or care about break in procedures because they're just going to return the lease or trade them in before it really starts to manifest. It's especially the case with aluminum blocks (like the gasser trucks).

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Agree on the Ridgeline Black Edition looking pretty good but I just didnt like the feel of the way it drove. I wanted to but like the feel of the Colorado in almost every area.

I got the same feeling last year driving a Tacoma and then a Canyon right after at the same dealer.The Canyon had so much more.T Toyota had de-tuned the hell out of Tacomoa to get very little more MPG in return

Trust me, being a former mechanic (still a backyard mechanic) I am leary of GM after very reliable old school Honda and Subaru for the last 25-30 years. My 1997 Subaru had 306K miles when I sold it-still running, my current 2009 RL has 224K miles on it.

Oh, and I actually liked the style, feel and ride of the Gen 1 Ridgeline.
ya, the guy I know that got the Ridge line because of the constant problems with the Silverado 8 speed trans. The Colorado has problems too with the their 8 speed. I don't trust it. Mine is a 2016 (6 speed)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Honest advice: If you're buying a used car, skip the dealer. You're paying thousands more just to line their pockets at the expense of whomever traded it in. They give them a good wash and detail, then throw them out on the lot while throwing away any documentation of history. You can buy an aftermarket warranty. Save the money, get a known history, and buy private party. There's zero benefits available from a dealership. I used to buy 2 cars a year for me, and bought several more for others. Not once was there ever a decent car at a dealership that wasn't overpriced by several thousand dollars.

More honest advice echoing the above: If you're set on buying from a dealer for some reason (seriously, don't; It's a lot of money for negative value), the price delta is negligible. Just go new. Then it's a known quantity AND you get to break it in properly, get the actual truck you actually want, etc. The biggest impact on the quality of the last 100K miles is the first 1K. BMWs are notorious for burning copious amounts of oil because their owners are notorious for being asshats who don't know or care about break in procedures because they're just going to return the lease or trade them in before it really starts to manifest. It's especially the case with aluminum blocks (like the gasser trucks).
Went to a multi line dealer today to check out their inventory of new Colorado and Canyons. Guess what, they have the new vehicles with all the incentives "at another location miles away" otherwoise known as an offsite storage lot. The primary lot is loaded with nothing but overpriced used vehicles that tghey wont budge on because of the "shortage" of new vehicles.

In regards to trucks, not many midsize and tons of half tons. Wanted almost $35K on a 2018 All Terrain when there are incentives for new that bring down to almost same price or lower.

Talk price on that 2018 Canyon covered in dirt and dust because it hasnt moved in how long? Wont even consider a lower price. Told them to pound sand and keep their vehicles right whereb they are-in off site storage and on the lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya, the guy I know that got the Ridge line because of the constant problems with the Silverado 8 speed trans. The Colorado has problems too with the their 8 speed. I don't trust it. Mine is a 2016 (6 speed)
Read all about the 8 speed issues a year ago and that was what kept me away back then. The new 9 speed in the RL isnt getting reviews either. Honda in general seems to have gone backwards in build quality-very hit or miss in what you get.

My better half's oldest has a 2018 Z71 Colorado that he bought new and has had no transmission issues, so who knows.

For now, I might just take a breather from this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Test drove a 2020 Tacoma Limited yesterday-good ride.

Also went by dealer with 2020 ZR2 but found them closed on Sunday.

Found a line on a 2020 Canyon SL1 with 20L miles on it for $32K at a Ford Dealer.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
I have been watching used prices and you confirm what I have see. The used trucks are not much cheaper than new trucks with incentives.
The GM mid size, Taco and Wrangler are generally listed as the four best resale vehicles often.

The Use Denali price is about what I paid for my Denali back in 2017.

Now finding used trucks from private owners is an option but not easy as there are not a ton of these trucks out there on the used market. This is driving the used prices.

Dealer tend to have them often as people trading up for different models and options.

The transmission shudder is a factor on the 17-march of 19. But if it has the new fluid flush done that should not really be an issue. The flush takes care of most of the issues. Ask to see records of if and when it was done. If it was a while ago and no shudder odds are good it is fine. You may use the shudder to work a extended warranty into the deal or money off.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You've already gotten good advice, but as another data point, I bought my 2017 Canyon SLT (with Tonneau, spray in bedliner, Bose radio, etc) almost a year and a half ago with 14k miles for under $30k, so your used prices seem high to me. Also, incentives on new seem better now as I couldn't find what I wanted new for under $40k at the time. I did have the shudder on my 2017 as well (but I was lucky as it was fixed with 1 trip to the dealer and new fluid over a year ago and hasn't come back).

Good luck! Also, my wife's '08 Odyssey (built in Alabama FWIW) is in the same boat as your Ridgeline. Trouble free besides an AC condenser in 235,000 miles. She's begrudgingly starting to admit it's probably time to think about something newer. :LOL:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You've already gotten good advice, but as another data point, I bought my 2017 Canyon SLT (with Tonneau, spray in bedliner, Bose radio, etc) almost a year and a half ago with 14k miles for under $30k, so your used prices seem high to me. Also, incentives on new seem better now as I couldn't find what I wanted new for under $40k at the time. I did have the shudder on my 2017 as well (but I was lucky as it was fixed with 1 trip to the dealer and new fluid over a year ago and hasn't come back).

Good luck! Also, my wife's '08 Odyssey (built in Alabama FWIW) is in the same boat as your Ridgeline. Trouble free besides an AC condenser in 235,000 miles. She's begrudgingly starting to admit it's probably time to think about something newer. :LOL:
Canyon SLT is the sweet spot of the trims-IMHO. Not many out there though-at least not around here.

Funny, the only non maint item to be replaced on my Ridgeline was the condenser last summer. Cant complain as it took all the hits of road crud for 215K miles

Really not hitting on Honda as I likely would buy again if I liked the new Ridgeline more than I do. Hell, all manufactures have "Monday morning and Friday afternoon" built vehicles..............LOL And if you want to you ca find praise and problems on the internet.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Really not hitting on Honda as I likely would buy again if I liked the new Ridgeline more than I do.
I get that manufacturers make changes that are negative. We owned a 2nd generation Rav4, and gave it to our daughter a couple of years ago. One of the best cars I've ever owned, although I'll admit I'm glad it was my wife's car because it is sort of feminine. But nice car. We also had a 2012 Rav4. I hated that car. Too big, too hard to work on, an auto A/C system that was a nightmare. When we were looking again in 2019 I didn't even look at Rav4s.

·
Registered
120 Posts
OP: Yes, I had to be patient to find my SLT and I drove all over the state test driving them. One showed me the carfax after driving 2 hours to see it and it had been in an accident and the auto-climate control only blew cold air. Then they accused me of not knowing how to operate the auto-climate controls. :LOL:
Another one the dealer sold out from under me (without a phone call) after I had made an appointment to go look at it.
Also yes, the Odyssey forum is full of issues, including significant engine and transmission problems, but I've never had any of them. I count myself lucky.

Goodspike, I completely understand. My wife isn't even considering another Odyssey even after 235,000 virtually trouble-free miles. It's been the best vehicle we've ever owned by a wide margin and she loves it to this minute, but she thinks the new ones are ugly. It'll be interesting to see what we end up with when it is time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sooo, looks like I can land a new 2020 ZR2 at $40,500. 10% off MSRP minus $1000.00 dealer discount.

With what is available around here, I think its really coming down to either this ZR2, the 2020 Canyon Denali with 7,500 miles on it at $37,500 or just wait things out and keep driving the RL a bit longer.

As much as I wasn't looking to spend that much, if purchasing now I think I would lean towards the ZR2.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts