Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new Colorado after not having one since totaling it in '14. I'm stuck between whether I want to stay super basic with a 4WD WT, or a Z71. It'll be used for light to medium light off road duties (gravel hills, dirt, light property work over light hills). I keep seeing very conflicting reports about if the Z71 is worth it or not and was wondering if anyone has experience in similar situations and thinks the suspension is any better or worth it and things of that nature. Money isn't an issue, but I don't want to pay for something that doesn't do what I want it to, or works just as well as a baser trim level. I also think the ZR2 is too much for what I need. Any comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
The WT will not have the "Auto" 4WD feature and probably no remote start/key fob. 4AUTO is actually really useful and my preference over 4H off road. Works great in heavy rain or snow as well. Suspension probably a toss up.

·
Premium Member
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 Extended Cab 4WD Summit White
3,797 Posts
Well the Z71 is better for styling... But, not sure if the "Off Road" suspenion is a huge difference.
I do love my 2017 Z71 though

·
Registered
2019 Colorado WT, CCSB, V6 4x4
162 Posts
The Z71 is more of a trim package. Other than the 4 auto as mentioned above, drivetrain and suspension are same as WT.

For me, the WT with convenience and custom packages hit the sweet spot between WT and Z71 trim. WT interior is a bit more basic than Z71, but does not bother me.

With the above mentioned packages you get dampened tailgate, cruise control, nice rims, body colored bumper, mirror caps, keyless entry and a few other things. I did add remote start to mine, no problem.

Also added the GM skid plate to replace the plastic one transfer case and engine skid.

The infotainment screen is smaller in WT, but is more than adequate for me.

If you get (need) trailering package, I humbly suggest getting integrated brake controller also. Why GM does not include that automatically I don’t understand.

My two cents. Either one is a nice choice.

·
Registered
2021 Z71 Colorado Midnight Crew 3.6, 1.25" Trail FX level kit
156 Posts
If you do custom addons to a WT at a certain point it increase the cost to near Z71 price correct ? Depending on how close that is, why not just then get all the extras that a Z71 trim will provide. Guess at what point that is is entirely up to you.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Oh, WT also comes with reflector headlights which are somehow worse than the projectors on the other trims and although it's illegal to put LEDs in either type, you should under no circumstances, ever, put LED headlights in reflector housings because it will amplify the light in every direction and borderline blind oncoming traffic similar to having high beams on all the time.

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, WT also comes with reflector headlights which are somehow worse than the projectors on the other trims and although it's illegal to put LEDs in either type, you should under no circumstances, ever, put LED headlights in reflector housings because it will amplify the light in every direction and borderline blind oncoming traffic similar to having high beams on all the time.

View attachment 428337
good to know

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why not go for the trim between WT and Z71, LT ?

I think Z71 is a more recognizable name and might garner a few % more in resale, but the LT seems like a good compromise ?

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Any possibility you could test drive a WT and Z71 back to back ? I know you don't care about aesthetic changes, but what about cabin comfort/quality ?

I drive several WT base model ext cab 2020 Colorados as work (on a mix of gravel and paved roads) and am always pleasantly surprised at how much quieter/well sealed my Z71 is comparatively. I hear almost every gravel crunch through the WT doors and several more squeaks/strain noises than mine. Could be because the fastest care in the world is a rental car, followed closely by a work vehicle (lol) and people drive them like they stole them, but might also be less sound deadening material in a WT. The doors make a kind of empty thunk when closed, compared to my Z71 doors.

Could be GM also changed their recipe in 2020 for Colorado interior. I also have additional sound deadening material laid down in the rear of my truck (not doors) and was hesitant to bring this up before because of it.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I wouldn't do a ZR2 again as a daily driver. Great trucks with enough off-road features that take away from its usefulness when driving it on-road 96.5% of the time.

I would do something in either an LT or Z71 with G80 or limited slip rear end. Way more useful than the ZR2's open diffs on road.

I'd also take a look at the wheel/tire packages on both the LT and Z71 and I'd go with the package that offers more sidewall height on the tire for a softer ride, and they're probably cheaper to replace, too. The not-ZR2's are rated to tow more. I'd absolutely check the option box for tow package and integrated brake controller.

GM's seat "leather" is garbage in the Twins and for that reason I'd buy one with cloth seats.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any possibility you could test drive a WT and Z71 back to back ? I know you don't care about aesthetic changes, but what about cabin comfort/quality ?

I drive several WT base model ext cab 2020 Colorados as work (on a mix of gravel and paved roads) and am always pleasantly surprised at how much quieter/well sealed my Z71 is comparatively. I hear almost every gravel crunch through the WT doors and several more squeaks/strain noises than mine. Could be because the fastest care in the world is a rental car, followed closely by a work vehicle (lol) and people drive them like they stole them, but might also be less sound deadening material in a WT. The doors make a kind of empty thunk when closed, compared to my Z71 doors.

Could be GM also changed their recipe in 2020 for Colorado interior. I also have additional sound deadening material laid down in the rear of my truck (not doors) and was hesitant to bring this up before because of it.
I drove both, though they were crew cabs, which I won't be getting, and the WT I drove had something wrong with its transmission. It stuck ridiculously once I got above 40MPH. So the Z71 was worlds smoother, but I don't know if that's in general or because the WT I drove was a mess. Interior doesn't matter that much to me. It's mostly the drive and ride quality.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wouldn't do a ZR2 again as a daily driver. Great trucks with enough off-road features that take away from its usefulness when driving it on-road 96.5% of the time.

I would do something in either an LT or Z71 with G80 or limited slip rear end. Way more useful than the ZR2's open diffs on road.

I'd also take a look at the wheel/tire packages on both the LT and Z71 and I'd go with the package that offers more sidewall height on the tire for a softer ride, and they're probably cheaper to replace, too. The not-ZR2's are rated to tow more. I'd absolutely check the option box for tow package and integrated brake controller.

GM's seat "leather" is garbage in the Twins and for that reason I'd buy one with cloth seats.
I like the ZR2 suspension, but it just isn't worth the price. And I can't customize it the way I want without shelling out an extra 5k for what I want plus things I don't. I was planning on the Z71 or just adding the G80 to the WT. Tire wise, I'm leaning toward just adding the duratracs on my order and leaving them on for a while. From what I've seen they are good for an all-around. I don't need dedicated snow tires, so they should do the job, and I've heard the highway sound is really overstated. I plan to try to drive a ZR2 just to feel and here that if they ever get one on a lot around here. Towing isn't an issue. I doubt I'll ever tow. Everything would be in the bed.

And I have a deep seated hatred for leather seats, so no issue there.

·
Registered
2022 AT4 CCSB Diesel
117 Posts
I like the ZR2 suspension, but it just isn't worth the price. And I can't customize it the way I want without shelling out an extra 5k for what I want plus things I don't. I was planning on the Z71 or just adding the G80 to the WT. Tire wise, I'm leaning toward just adding the duratracs on my order and leaving them on for a while. From what I've seen they are good for an all-around. I don't need dedicated snow tires, so they should do the job, and I've heard the highway sound is really overstated. I plan to try to drive a ZR2 just to feel and here that if they ever get one on a lot around here. Towing isn't an issue. I doubt I'll ever tow. Everything would be in the bed.

And I have a deep seated hatred for leather seats, so no issue there.
For what it's worth, I went with an AT4 (Z71 equivalent) over a ZR2 because of the additional towing capability. When I was adding options, it made more sense to pick up a higher trim level that included them standard (vs a lower trim level)...plus the truck looked nicer (subjectively). In my opinion, that holds true as well with the WT/Z71. If you're adding a ton of options to it, I'd just go for the Z71 and call it a day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For what it's worth, I went with an AT4 (Z71 equivalent) over a ZR2 because of the additional towing capability. When I was adding options, it made more sense to pick up a higher trim level that included them standard (vs a lower trim level)...plus the truck looked nicer (subjectively). In my opinion, that holds true as well with the WT/Z71. If you're adding a ton of options to it, I'd just go for the Z71 and call it a day.
What I kind of plan on

Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Wheel Hood

·
Registered
458 Posts
My work truck Silverado has the Duratracs, they are definitely louder than the Z71 tires. I rotate them regularly but still noisy. When I get back in my Colorado, I enjoy the quieter ride.

·
Registered
2017 ZR2 V6 gas
150 Posts
Isn't it weird that in the full size the GMC at4 has the same dssv multimatic shocks as the ZR2 Silverado? But on canyons you don't get the dssv

1 - 20 of 30 Posts