Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this forum. I joined when I decided to purchase a Canyon/Colorado after hitting a deer at 70 mph in my 2016 Silverado Z71 crew cab. I've been waiting to get my Silverado back for over a month. I hit the deer 150 miles away from home and had the repairs done at the closest Chevy dealer. There was no frame or wheel damage, just the right front, right front quarter panel, and both doors on the passenger side. Side air bags also deployed. One good thing to report, the collision technology is awesome. The seat belt tensioners, air bags and OnStar were fantastic. No injuries, and OnStar was on the phone almost before I rolled to a stop in the highway median. Very impressive experience. Repair costs $14K. ($10K parts, $4K labor). Those tractor beam headlights cost $1250 each.

Got a call yesterday that my Silverado was ready for pickup. When I went to Enterprise car rental to pick up my one-way rental they asked if I wanted a new Colorado! Awesome I thought. I get a nice long test drive (150 miles) on my planned purchase, and also get to compare it back-to-back with the Silverado. Thought I would share my impressions. The Colorado was an LT, 4x4, crew, V6 with 7K miles on the odometer. Keep in mind I had been driving a beat-up Camry for the last month before renting the Colorado.

Engine/Transmission - The Colorado V6 is a very nice athletic engine. Most of the trip was highway. I averaged about 23+ mpg. The Colorado engine seldom switches to V4. In fact it only switched on the highway when I was on a decline? Level cruising at 70 mph was all V6. When on the highway my Silverado spends lots more time in V4 than the Colorado. I have the 5.3L V8. Highway mileage on the Silverado is about the same as the Colorado, 22 mpg. I am averaging 20.8 mpg over the last 25K miles on the Silverado. The Colorado feels peppier off the line but more labored when highway cruising. Both engines sound like crap when you run through the gears at full throttle.

Cabin Noise - There is no comparison. The Silverado is much quieter. The Colorado is not bad, but I did have trouble hearing the OnStar operator when I was trying to get navigation directions to my destination while cruising at 60-70 mph. Overall the Colorado had enough road noise to add to the fatigue factor when traveling long distances.

Seating - The front seats are essentially the same. Both very comfortable. I'm 5'7", 160lbs. I tried the rear seats in the Colorado and there was plenty of leg room for a person my size. I generally have the driver power seat in the highest position and back enough so my arms are extended. The view from the front seat was the same in both vehicles regarding awareness of the front of the vehicle.
Access – I find the Colorado has found the sweet spot of being too low to make an assist step useful and too high to make getting in easy. In addition the door opening is just too small. After struggling trying to find the right moves to smoothly get into the driver’s seat it seemed like I had moved to first class when getting into my Silverado. I have Westin running boards which make getting in and out a nonevent. I can’t imagine how 6 footers get into the Colorado?

Handling - When I first started out with the Colorado I felt like the handling was tight and at times a little twitchy. Ride quality is OK but the relatively short wheelbase really makes the Colorado ride less planted than the Silverado. I thought the overall handling dynamics were better in the Silverado. Steering response was just as crisp in the Silverado as the Colorado, and actually conveyed a more secure feeling. I was surprised at how lose the Colorado rear end was if you were a little abrupt on the throttle in a corner. Overall the Silverado seems to give a more comfortable stable ride while giving up very little in dynamics.

Instrumentation - The Silverado gauge cluster provides more information and looks much nicer. I thought the Colorado gauge cluster was a little too spartan for a truck. However, the center information screen in the Colorado provides more information than the Sliverado center screen.

Size - The Colorado is definitely easier to maneuver in parking lots and tight spaces. The trade-off is obviously in interior space. I found the Colorado confining, kind of like my wife's Rav4. In comparison, the Silverado crew cab is cavernous. The Silverado rear space, with the seats up, is huge with a nice flat floor. There is lots more head room, elbow room and leg room. Overall these vehicles are worlds apart interior wise, while being somewhat close, price wise.

Bed Space - Obviously the Silverado has the advantage.

The above are my impressions after driving both vehicles back-to-back on the same route. After I dropped the Colorado off at the Enterprise office, they dropped me at the dealer to pick up the Silverado. They did a nice job. After walking through all the repairs, I hoped in the Silverado to drive home. My immediate impressions were, wow this is a nicer vehicle (even though they both have the same trim level), this vehicle doesn't drive like it's much larger than the Colorado, V8s are really smooth and quiet, and boy it's so nice an roomy in here I could drive across country without trying.

So - after lusting for a smaller vehicle, while my Silverado was in the shop, a chance comparison made me think twice about making a change.

Thought I would share my impressions for those trying to make a decision between these two vehicle. Right now Chevy is offering the annual $12K discounts on full size pickups which has got to bring to prices really close.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Access – I find the Colorado has found the sweet spot of being too low to make an assist step useful and too high to make getting in easy. In addition the door opening is just too small. After struggling trying to find the right moves to smoothly get into the driver’s seat it seemed like I had moved to first class when getting into my Silverado. I have Westin running boards which make getting in and out a nonevent. I can’t imagine how 6 footers get into the Colorado?'t u
I so agree with Joe!!! It is easier to get into a Kenworth K100. Can't use the access step cause I hit my head and when getting in when not using the access step I end up on the left side of the driver seat. That is going to breakdown what ever support the left side of the seat offered. Now if Chevy had installed a hand grab on the driver's side A pillar!!!

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,012 Posts
It's funny, the NVH in my 16 silverado vs the 19 colorado is worlds apart. The colorado is way quieter... but only after the crappy wrangler tires came off. Otherwise the Silverado was way better mainly for the tires. But it's a relatively base silverado too. I've noticed a pretty large difference between trims on those.

Otherwise I agree.

Reactions: Devilmonkey

·
Registered
916 Posts
“I can’t imagine how 6 footers get into the Colorado?”

This is an old post, but I want to respond to this one remark. I am 6’ 0” in height. I have the GM side steps (the plain black running boards), but I don’t use them. I just hold the steering wheel with my left hand and step in. I don’t understand the problem. I should add that I have stock wheels and tires with no lift.

I added the running boards for the benefit of my mother and sister, who needed the step and the assist handle to get in. I am one of the few (it seems) who think one assist handle on only the passenger side is perfect.

·
Premium Member
6,022 Posts
I so agree with Joe!!! It is easier to get into a Kenworth K100. Can't use the access step cause I hit my head and when getting in when not using the access step I end up on the left side of the driver seat. That is going to breakdown what ever support the left side of the seat offered. Now if Chevy had installed a hand grab on the driver's side A pillar!!!
So.... you bump a nearly 4 year old thread from a member who hasn't been here since then for what purpose?

·
Registered
2019 Colorado CCLB Z71 V6 4WD
1,012 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.