Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Colorado Duramax tuning options

427K views 1K replies 233 participants last post by  DieselDrax 
#1 ·
Who all does them?

#2 ·
Updated topic title as I think we could use a general thread to discuss all options without getting into too many specifics of each, so this can be it.

If specifics are needed on a certain tuner's product please open a dedicated thread about it, as I have done with for the Duramax Tuner product.

#3 ·
Updated topic title as I think we could use a general thread to discuss all options without getting into too many specifics of each, so this can be it.

If specifics are needed on a certain tuner's product please open a dedicated thread about it, as I have done with for the Duramax Tuner product.

Can you link those threads in here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 · (Edited)
Custom tuning

Has anyone looked into custom delete tuning from a company like Garmon Diesel? I live pretty close to them and it's $100 for 3 pulls and $100/hr for tuning. Wondering what that $100/hr would equate to for a good delete tune? Would it take longer than an hour to write up a delete tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This post has been deleted
#12 ·
Performance results with tunes

Anyone have pre and post tuning results in their Colorado/Canyon for 0-60 mph runs or 1/8 mile, etc. All of the tuners out there only show dyno power/torque curves, which does not say much about street performance. We are looking for real life info from tuned owners. We are so looking forward to getting our tune released. I think it will shake up this market.

#265 · (Edited)
Anyone have pre and post tuning results in their Colorado/Canyon for 0-60 mph runs or 1/8 mile, etc. All of the tuners out there only show dyno power/torque curves, which does not say much about street performance. We are looking for real life info from tuned owners. We are so looking forward to getting our tune released. I think it will shake up this market.
These are the stock and tuned numbers I came up with. All accelerations are done in drive, tow haul off, no spooling prior to brake release, and tranny allowed to shift as programmed from the factory. I simply jammed the throttle to the floor and started the timer.

STOCK / TUNED
0-60 11.5 sec/ 9.9 sec
60-80 10.7 sec/ 8.1 sec
40-60 6.5 sec/ 5.8 sec

Owners who complained about passing performance with the stock tune would love the tuned performance. There is no hesitation when passing in the 60-80 speed range. The tranny downshifts and the truck accelerates much more quickly, as evidenced by the numbers above.

#14 ·
You must be new to the programmer(at least diesel) market, as I've owned Duramax-equipped trucks since 2004, buying a programmer for every single one, and I've never seen a programmer manufacturer(PPE, Bully Dog, Hypertech, Banks, or Diablo ) provide 0-60 or 1/4 mile(and you're expecting 1/8mi too?) times for their product(s).
Prolly because they're made for diesel trucks, and diesel truck owners are generally more concerned with power and torque numbers than 'claimed' acceleration times.
Plus, the 'fun' derived from running a programmer is in the form of getting shoved into your seat when you stomp on the accelerator, not running around telling people that a 2wd,single-cab, long-bed version of your truck ran 2/10ths quicker 0-60 with the same programmer(according to the manufacturer)-especially when you own a crew cab 4wd, and it's got a 6" lift w/ 35" tires.

#16 ·
I was not asking about 'claimed' performance...I was asking about measured performance...big difference! Claimed dyno numbers are more common in the diesel aftermarket as we have seen, since most of these guys are using dynojet dynos which read about 10% higher than reality. The truck configuration is important for beginning performance data, but we are looking for A to B comparisons from folks, stock vs. tuned, so the data is valid as the truck is the same. We do our development on worst case vehicles for each application, i.e. the heaviest, 4x4 model available. FYI, the faster your 0-60, the more you are being shoved into your seat.

We have been in the after market tuning diesels only a few years, since 2009. Before that we worked as diesel calibration engineers for a few OEMs you might have heard of like Chrysler, Ford, GM, Caterpillar, Detroit Diesel, VM Motori and Mercedes. We are very astute in diesel engine hardware design and calibration. In the OEM world, we always measure 0-60 on every application...all diesel powered. Usually, we also do 40-60 mph passing along with 60-80 mph runs. The power/torque curve is fine an handy, but putting it to the ground in transient situations is a different ballgame. We also measure fuel economy, which seems to be amiss in the aftermarket, but this is where tuning can make a huge difference. Real fuel economy gains pay the customer back at the pump. Most every application we tune typically has a 40,000 mile return on investment where the tune pays for itself in less fuel burned. I think most aftermarket companies do not reveal this information because they can't deliver on it consistently.

#19 ·
Without knowing the quality of the driver and track conditions I have to take those numbers with a grain of salt too, just like dynos. Most drivers aren't consistent enough for back-to-back tests to be valid. That and I can pick track days with a negative DA to lose a few tenths with no changes to the vehicle. I doubt too many high quality bracket racers are taking their canyon to the track unless they do it once for ***** and giggles.

#21 ·
Commenting on GDE's position on real world performance, my wife's GDE tuned Grand Cherokee Eco-Diesel flat hauls ass. It really puts you back in to the seat effortlessly all with a lifetime average of 28.X mpg mostly used in town.

My wife had a loner GC with a 5.7 Hemi and complained about it's performance. From her perspective the Hemi was a dog as she doesn't want to floor it and wait for 3 downshifts and 6K rpm before going anywhere. That Hemi also averaged 12 mpg with the exact same driver and application.

I have an '18 Canyon on order and it will get GDE as soon as it's available.

#22 ·
Merged to general tune discussion thread.
@GreenDiesel please try to find an existing topic that may be relevant to your questions. Dont need to start a new thread each time you visit :wink2:

#34 ·
PPEI or Duramax Tuner and why?
I am a big big Fan of PPEI but I think that if you want to keep the DPF you might want to go with Duramax tuner.. I am no expert or anything but the reasoning behind it is that Duramax tuner has bought a canyon and have been driving it for a very long time.

I don't know about kory at PPEI.. I am sure that his tune is also really good but duramax tuner has been perfecting it for a long time.

again just my opinion.

#33 ·
It really depends on what you want. Duramaxtuner and PPEI are both very well known for their work on the 6.6L Duramaxes.

PPEI will do delete tunes as well as emission intact tuning. DT only does emission intact tuning.

Reactions: ERJDriver
#37 ·
I am a big big Fan of PPEI but I think that if you want to keep the DPF you might want to go with Duramax tuner.. I am no expert or anything but the reasoning behind it is that Duramax tuner has bought a canyon and have been driving it for a very long time.

I don't know about kory at PPEI.. I am sure that his tune is also really good but duramax tuner has been perfecting it for a long time.

again just my opinion.
Yea, Screw that Emmissions BS. Doing a Flo Pro turbo back.

I talked to PPEI last week, The guy told me the 17's computers go crazy when they try and tune them. I called Duramax Tuner, they have a process for the 17's so I am going with them.
I just talked to them this month and they said their were no problems.

@ERJDriver merged your thread in here :wink2:
Thanks! Sorry, still learning where everything is at.

#39 ·
I've been really happy with Aaron's tuning from all in truck performance in Texas was gonna go with ppei originally but after talking with Aaron I went with him he is really dedicated to the 2.8 mini duramax are truck has 16k miles tuned it at 5k miles first time I had to put DEF in was the last time.I also have Aaron's trans tuning as well transmission shifts really nice I mostly keep it in level 3 for daily driving he's a great guy to deal with and stands behind what he sells.

Reactions: k7tnt