Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1001 - 1020 of 1023 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Lol
Beaten down? No they haven't come for me. I made a decision to protect myself, hardly foolish. Go to Canada and provide CAD registration and get serviced

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Yea I’ll just go ahead and buy some real estate in Canada because I love it so much there ... not. Or can one use a PO Box? Way too much trouble either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
ColoradoFans.com Site Sponsors
253 Posts
Emissions on stuff only within the states

You are selling in the states without a CARB EO or EPA documented emission results? Have you sold many like this? FYI, it is still as illegal as a delete tune in the eyes of the government. Be careful, the 'off-road, racing use only does not hold water'. When the EPA comes knocking...

·
Banned
351 Posts
You are selling in the states without a CARB EO or EPA documented emission results? Have you sold many like this? FYI, it is still as illegal as a delete tune in the eyes of the government. Be careful, the 'off-road, racing use only does not hold water'. When the EPA comes knocking...
No it's mainly speedo, and the critical params are off limits for the guys in the states
Nothing for sale that tampers down here

·
253 Posts
With
No it's mainly speedo, and the critical params are off limits for the guys in the states
Nothing for sale that tampers down here

With our CARB application, we got a response from them asking if we were planning to change tire size. They said that is a no-no without testing the other tires for the emission effects. You should speak with CARB directly, I do not think they will be appeased.

·
Banned
351 Posts
With

With our CARB application, we got a response from them asking if we were planning to change tire size. They said that is a no-no without testing the other tires for the emission effects. You should speak with CARB directly, I do not think they will be appeased.
Thanks, sales have been dead since they been enforcing down here, nobody wants intact it seems so I have to turn them away. You'd be surprised how many get upset to be turned away
I think I'll take that advise though and send the emissions on stuff away also

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ask potential customers to write their legislature reps to push the RPM act. Text - S.2602 - 116th Congress (2019-2020): RPM Act of 2019
EDIT: Just for some context, the RPM act essentially proposes to let vehicles for competition use only not be subject to some of the more onerous restrictions.

The whole "competition use", "off-road only", "not for on-road or highway use" thing is total BS and everybody knows it. It's basically making every customer explicitly lie and say they wont use it on the road anymore. Nobody believes that; not the customer, not the supplier, not the installer, and definitely not the EPA. They all know that it's not true and I think it's ridiculous to pretend otherwise (sure, maybe for 0.1% of customers but even that'd be a stretch). Even advertising better fuel economy with the tunes is pretty much asserting it's benefits for highway use. I'd even go so far as to venture a guess that the "abuse" of this type of designation to create, sell, and purchase products that bypass the EPA rules is somewhat to blame for the heavy handed enforcement we're now seeing.

EDIT: The RPM act, for it's own credit though, does say that you can't rely on "unsupported declarations from the purchaser or owner of a vehicle about [it's use]". Although I don't really know how that would work in practice; what sort of "evidence" would you need? But if they really are able to enforce that and it's not jsut a loophole then it will still kill off most of the tuning business anyways since almost all of us want the tunes for road use.

Don't misunderstand me though, I think the ability to tune our engines is great and there needs to be a way to enable that. I just don't believe that perpetuating the "off-road use only" farce is the path forward. What may be more viable is though is to put the onus on the customer to have their vehicle certified as compliant with the appropriate emissions output requirements. In the states that still do inspections, all they really do now is hook up to the OBDII port and see if any sensors are tripped. If not you pass, if they are, you don't. This could be augmented to only allow that for unmodified vehicles and then have modified vehicles have an actual emissions test performed on them. That would allow vendors to produce non-factory calibrations without the certification overhead but also incentivize them to have the calibrations be "clean", otherwise customers wouldn't want to buy it.

·
253 Posts
We are getting CARB certification to by-pass the need for the RPM act. It is poorly written and most likely would see several changes before passing congress approval.

The bigger issue is long-term cost of ownership. EPA requires a 'full useful life' of 150,000 miles on most new vehicles and the emission systems must be designed to last that long. High mileage vehicles tend to have emission hardware fail and if that vehicle is over the full useful life, it would be nice to have options of tuning vs. spending $5,000+ on replacing worn out parts. Millions of vehicles are on the roads long after the useful life has expired. Many of those owners cannot afford massive repair bills. The emission trade-off from tuning vs. recycling vehicles is vastly in favor of tuning from an environmental standpoint.

·
Registered
233 Posts
High mileage vehicles tend to have emission hardware fail and if that vehicle is over the full useful life, it would be nice to have options of tuning vs. spending $5,000+ on replacing worn out parts.
Perhaps but that's not the majority of your target market. The vast majority of tuning customers, yours included, have new-ish vehicles that they want to perform differently than the factory specs

·
253 Posts
Perhaps but that's not the majority of your target market. The vast majority of tuning customers, yours included, have new-ish vehicles that they want to perform differently than the factory specs
That is why we are doing the CARB certification for vehicles within the useful life. We tune several older vehicles (Sprinter vans 2002-2008). Hundreds of these have 300,000 miles or more when we tune for the first time. We sell sprinter tunes 7 to 1 over the Colorado, that market is large.

·
Registered
233 Posts
We sell sprinter tunes 7 to 1 over the Colorado, that market is large.
Sure, okay. The 2.8 Colorado market for tunes though is primarily newish vehicles. Regardless, both segments are actually looking for on-road use. That's really my point: that the "for off-road use only" disclaimer is a sham since almost all the tune customers are looking for on road use, Colorado and otherwise, and that I think there instead needs to be a path forward for that instead of trying to continue to perpetuate the abused loophole like the RPM act seems to be doing.

·
253 Posts
Sure, okay. The 2.8 Colorado market for tunes though is primarily newish vehicles. Regardless, both segments are actually looking for on-road use. That's really my point: that the "for off-road use only" disclaimer is a sham since almost all the tune customers are looking for on road use, Colorado and otherwise, and that I think there instead needs to be a path forward for that instead of trying to continue to perpetuate the abused loophole like the RPM act seems to be doing.
Write your legislature to get new laws made. The EPA has no provisions for the aftermarket or a certification process...makes it hard to meet. If you change to a different tire from factory, that is technically illegal according to the 'tampering' laws in the US code. EPA is just not enforcing that aspect of the law. Thus we do not have equal justice under the law...shame.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
If delete tunes had never been available, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
253 Posts
If delete tunes had never been available, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Even emission intact tuning is illegal according to EPA guidance. All after-market tuning needs to meet emission requirements, there is no tuning company that has this...unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Even emission intact tuning is illegal according to EPA guidance. All after-market tuning needs to meet emission requirements, there is no tuning company that has this...unfortunately.
Of course, yet they aren't raiding the people that tune gasoline cars. Any one of literally thousands of outfits can tune my LS3 this very day and openly advertise these services. It helps that the American header manufacturers support utilizing catalytic converters, even in 'race' applications.
Smoke, smell, noise, and obnoxious behavior put a spot light on diesel trucks.
At a minimum, EPA enforcement would have been delayed another decade.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Of course, yet they aren't raiding the people that tune gasoline cars. Any one of literally thousands of outfits can tune my LS3 this very day and openly advertise these services. It helps that the American header manufacturers support utilizing catalytic converters, even in 'race' applications.
Smoke, smell, noise, and obnoxious behavior put a spot light on diesel trucks.
At a minimum, EPA enforcement would have been delayed another decade.

Oh I know, as an LS guy I keep worrying one day the other shoe will drop and HP tuners will be outlawed. We're fortunate the roll coal diesel bros have become the face of public obnoxiousness so the spotlight is off us muscle car guys.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Oh I know, as an LS guy I keep worrying one day the other shoe will drop and HP tuners will be outlawed. We're fortunate the roll coal diesel bros have become the face of public obnoxiousness so the spotlight is off us muscle car guys.
Hp tuners has already started forcing updates that re-enable the egr stuff and cannot be turned off.

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

1001 - 1020 of 1023 Posts