Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

981 - 1000 of 1023 Posts

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Can I ask how you managed to get them to replace a tuned engine?
I actually know of another guy on this forum that lost a GDE tuned 2.8 engine, retuned it back to stock on the side of the road before the tow truck arrived, and got an engine under warranty.
This is not a new failure but one that was posted about last year.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
I actually know of another guy on this forum that lost a GDE tuned 2.8 engine, retuned it back to stock on the side of the road before the tow truck arrived, and got an engine under warranty.
This is not a new failure but one that was posted about last year.

That is very interesting.

I was under the impression that for the last year or so any kind of major warranty work on a diesel, GM was requiring the flash count and all the stuff relating to that scanned and sent in.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
That is very interesting.

I was under the impression that for the last year or so any kind of major warranty work on a diesel, GM was requiring the flash count and all the stuff relating to that scanned and sent in.
Agreed, and I'm starting to wonder if GM feels there are enough stock failures to conclude that it's not a tune issue and they are just covering them anyways.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Agreed, and I'm starting to wonder if GM feels there are enough stock failures to conclude that it's not a tune issue and they are just covering them anyways.

If that's the case, then I want my $12k back!

I holed a piston, from what I believe was a bad inj(dealer even wrote that on work order) back in July 2019. I was GDE tuned, but flashed back to stock before I had truck towed in. They checked the flash count after they diagnosed that the piston was holed. I knew tuning it voided my warranty, and didn't argue too much with them except to say that the tune didn't cause the inj to go bad, so I paid for the new motor and went on my way.

But if they are now warrantying the motors that were blown due to bad injs, then I definitely want my money back.

So, if someone can find that out for sure, let the rest of us know. Please.

·
Banned
351 Posts
If that's the case, then I want my $12k back!

I holed a piston, from what I believe was a bad inj(dealer even wrote that on work order) back in July 2019. I was GDE tuned, but flashed back to stock before I had truck towed in. They checked the flash count after they diagnosed that the piston was holed. I knew tuning it voided my warranty, and didn't argue too much with them except to say that the tune didn't cause the inj to go bad, so I paid for the new motor and went on my way.

But if they are now warrantying the motors that were blown due to bad injs, then I definitely want my money back.

So, if someone can find that out for sure, let the rest of us know. Please.
I can confirm one of my customers had dropped an injector, and had it warrantied. He was tuned and did not even have the chance to remove the flash. Intact emissions if you think it matters

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I can confirm one of my customers had dropped an injector, and had it warrantied. He was tuned and did not even have the chance to remove the flash. Intact emissions if you think it matters

I actually went back to my PMs and this forum member didn't specify whose tuning he had (in my memory I thought it was GDE) and he burned a piston.
Probably the same guy.

·
Banned
351 Posts
I actually went back to my PMs and this forum member didn't specify whose tuning he had (in my memory I thought it was GDE) and he burned a piston.
Probably the same guy.

He did have GDE prior, converted, and then blew the hole... The one I was referring to

·
Registered
140 Posts

How long ago was that?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hmm. I ended up replacing all my injs, because I just didn't trust them. My truck was an early truck, had to wait to get it delivered. Finally got it in Feb 2016.

Hoping the injs are built better now. Still running the stock tune since motor replaced, got it back Sept, 2019. One month before your customer. Have 5 months on new motor, got 31 months and about 95k miles of warranty left on it.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Hmm. I ended up replacing all my injs, because I just didn't trust them. My truck was an early truck, had to wait to get it delivered. Finally got it in Feb 2016.

Hoping the injs are built better now. Still running the stock tune since motor replaced. Have 5 months on new motor, got 31 months and about 95k miles of warranty left on it.
2016 here
Tuned since 900mi
Been pushing the envelope more ever since
Sitting at 235hp and 485ftlb lately

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
2016 here
Tuned since 900mi
Been pushing the envelope more ever since
Sitting at 235hp and 485ftlb lately

Ya, I don't really think it's a year or model of injector thing. Nor an oil thing (my earlier theory).
You selling tunes these days btw?

·
Banned
351 Posts
Ya, I don't really think it's a year or model of injector thing. Nor an oil thing (my earlier theory).
You selling tunes these days btw?

Emissions on stuff only within the states

·
Registered
512 Posts
Lol you can do a lot with emissions on though. Like GDE style or boring all emission software on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
351 Posts
Lol you can do a lot with emissions on though. Like GDE style or boring all emission software on?

No removal or disablement of any emissions equipment. Even what gde did in the software by closing the egr valve, illegal. I don't do any of those things

·
Registered
512 Posts
The infamous Hackman beaten down with tail between legs. Never thought I’d see the day. EPa lover!

·
Banned
351 Posts
The infamous Hackman beaten down with tail between legs. Never thought I’d see the day. EPa lover!

Lol
Beaten down? No they haven't come for me. I made a decision to protect myself, hardly foolish. Go to Canada and provide CAD registration and get serviced

981 - 1000 of 1023 Posts