Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at the 2018 Canyon build site.
GM is gaming the potential buyer on color choices.
Cardinal Red, Onyx Black and Summit White are the choices.
But if you willing to pay extra, you are allowed 4 other choices at $395 and 1 other choice at $495.
Dark Slate Metallic, Marine Blue Metallic, Quicksilver Metallic, Satin Steel Metallic are all $395 extra and Red Quartz Tintcoat is $495 extra.
In other words if you want something other than red, white or black fork over another $400-$500!
I know when doing the deal the bottom line is the final cost to the buyer and the numbers are commonly manipulated/buried but this strikes me as forced upselling.
Henry Ford said you could have one of his Model T's in any color you wanted as long as it was black.
GM is saying you pay for any color other than 3 basics.
What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 Chevy Colorado Z71 3.6 V6 Ext. Bed
285 Posts
Metallic paint is more expensive that non-metallic and usually require extra care in applying. I suspect GM is offering plain colors for the "Work" crowd to keep their costs down but if you want a little glitz it is extra.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. That is my choice as well.
My current 2015 SLT is Bronze Alloy Metallic and I like the way it looks with the Cocoa Dune interior. There was no upcharge for the color at that time.
I was pleased to see I can get the Red Quartz with the Cocoa Dune interior but am dismayed there is now a surcharge.
Reminds me of the old sales gimmick: "Do you want floor mats with that?"
One way or another you are subjected to a sales ploy.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Paint application is via robot.
I wonder if there is an extra step in application or just a matter of clicking on a button on the paint software program.
I would prefer to see the metallics as standard. And the primary colors offered as a "discount" or cost savings to the "trade" crowd.
But upcharging is the current trend.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
It bugs the heck out of me that they are doing this. What I find more interesting (spell that I R R I T A T I N G ) is that the Colorado did not have the same upcharges as the Canyon. Not sure I understand why GM wants to drive Canyon customers to the Colorado.

I just did a quick build of my current truck with 2018 specs, chose a $395 color for the Canyon and a similar, FREE, color for the Colorado. Basically comparing a loaded LT with an SLT, the only real changes from my 2015 I believe are the new V6 engine/8 speed transmission, the sliding rear window I don't want, and I added the integrated trailer brake controller.

The MSRP on the Colorado was $35,490 and it showed a $2k discount till August 31, for a current price of $33,490.

The MSRP on the Canyon was $37,245, with no corresponding $2k discount showing.

In 2015, there were some differences between the LT & SLT that I thought were significant, primarily in the DIC. However, I believe there was less than a $1k difference in price for the SLT over the LT. (And no up charge on color.) The only real difference between the 2018 LT & SLT I assume is the soft touch leather dash.

I know that I might be able to negotiate a decent discount on the Canyon, but I suspect I can get either the AutoNation or Classic Chevy dealerships to offer me a decent discount on a Colorado, as both of these dealers are close by and both have a fair number of Colorados in stock.

If I was shopping today, it might be hard for GMC to get my money. GMC is starting with a $1,755 handicap in this race, ignoring the $2k discount since I am sure this is mainly on in-stock units, does not apply to ordered vehicles that would arrive after August 31.

Reactions: Payload

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Paint application is via robot.
I wonder if there is an extra step in application or just a matter of clicking on a button on the paint software program.
I would prefer to see the metallics as standard. And the primary colors offered as a "discount" or cost savings to the "trade" crowd.
But upcharging is the current trend.
Some of these colors require a second step in the paint application is what I understand.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been on this board for some time and I feel like I almost know you and consider you a friend.
I have always enjoyed your intelligent well written and astute contributions.
Your response to my post on upcharging for color today is a perfect example.
Spot on!

I am close to making the plunge on another new SLT twin.
(Previous well satisfied Ridgeline owner X two.)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I don't like the upcharging because it is hard to pay the extra when you are already laying down big bucks. Later though, you always regret it as I did for not getting the metallic green which was quickly discontinued. I'm now considering ordering a Marine Blue and will gladly pay the extra. BTW, I do have one of Henry Ford's Model Ts and it it is black as it should be.

Reactions: Payload

·
Registered
62 Posts
Trying to rationalize the color upcharge doesn't work because the "cost factors" justifying an upcharge would be the same for Chevy and GMC. Yet, Chevy does not upcharge for some colors that GMC wants an upcharge for. Marketing and revenue enhancement are the reason. I ordered a Colorado in graphite metallic with no upcharge.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I have been on this board for some time and I feel like I almost know you and consider you a friend.
I have always enjoyed your intelligent well written and astute contributions.
Your response to my post on upcharging for color today is a perfect example.
Spot on!

I am close to making the plunge on another new SLT twin.
(Previous well satisfied Ridgeline owner X two.)
PT Barnum would be proud of my ability to fool some of you with a suggestion of intelligence on my part.

I do feel like we have a lot of friends here. Even people I don't always agree with. The ability to discuss and disagree politely is a talent we need to bottle and ship to DC.

It is amazing to see people purchasing their 2nd Twin already. I suspect that it will be 2020-2021 before I purchase another truck, and that may be the last truck I ever buy.

Right now I have a friend organizing a trailer of goods for Corpus Christi and trying to find a truck to haul them. Not sure I can get free to haul it and haven't got specs on trailer yet to determine if my little old truck can handle the load. Of course, with the turn to the east, I may need to plan a trip to check on family in Louisiana.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Likely, No way you have the best looking Canyon in town, my Red Quartz Tintcoat Denali must take that award. 0:)

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Well here is my take on this.

The paint is treated like engines. Each color has more steps and content.

Solid colors are base and clear coat.

Metallic is two step base metallic and then clear.

Quartzs is a three step metallic base, then tint and then clear.

It is much like buying a 4, V6 or diesel. You want more you pay more. I need the past paint was also not as expensive as it is today with the new emission standards.

In a way you can look at it this way. GM could have just raised the base price $495 all around and not charged for paint and made more money.

By charging for the paint based on choice they are not charging people who do not want it. Pricing of this truck is difficult as many people want it all but they don't like paying more than $40k for the truck based on size and comparable full size prices. Making the paint ala cartel leaves it up to the buyer if he wants it or not like the two extra cylinders on a V6.

To be honest once you get a SLT to $35-38k $395 or $495 is not a big deal at that point. Get them to toss in the floor liners and mud flap for free after cutting you deal and it will more tha off set the added color charge.

This also is why the Quartz is not available on some lesser models. You generally only find it on the SLT or Denali models.

I got mine in Quartz and never worried a bit about the color cost. My goal was to get the final price and value under $39k for a truck that was right at $45k. I got the price down below and still got the added value extras tossed in. I ended up with the sale tag of getting a choice of a Quarz dune SLT or a Quarts jet Denali for nearly the same price. The only regret is I could not get the dune in the Denali but the extra items and the Denali resale factor made the jet black interior acceptable.

Also note too if you get a tri coat paint repaired it also cost more. More material more work and more price.

That is my take on this right or wrong. You see it as added cost for the SLT and I see it as cost reduction on the base. In a way neither is wrong as it is the glass half full or empty in a way.

As for pricing like I stated this truck has limits the full size gets away with. They have a narrow slot of $26k to about $38k most buyers play in and that is going to limit some offereings. You start adding more items or high ticket items then you lose more buyers.

Mark up on this truck is not like the full size that sells in much greater volume.

I would have loved to had a power sun roof and led lights all around but odds are it would have added $2000 to the sticker and that would have not let me get it priced under$39k. They could also add these things and skimped in other areas that I would not have liked by removing the stitched dash or heated wheel. It is a fine balancing act in pricing vs content here.

I may have gone gull size even not being my first choice at that point as they can discount them more.

I have no regrets on my choice of color and model. The Denali if bought at a good price is a great truck. The SLT also is a wise choice with the coco interior.

I originally wanted a ZR2 but now they are out I have no regret. Not that the Z is a bad truck but the Denali fit my daily needs better climbing curbs st the mall or at work. The rear sway bar from Hellwig was my best decision.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I agree it's a little frustrating but still worth it imo, especially if you get a rare and now discontinued color (aka my RF green). The extra $495 was basically the only option on my WT. Plus it looks great when clean.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.