Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
325 Posts
Vary or elevate. Id think vary and surge are the same. All I know is mine does it when its cold out. Good luck with yours.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Vary or elevate. Id think vary and surge are the same. All I know is mine does it when its cold out. Good luck with yours.
Ya mine does the same upon cold start during the winter months. It goes away after a few seconds. Haven't noticed any issues

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71 Duramax
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
in my diesel manual it states that in cold conditions you will experience 300 rpm fluctuation in the engine. Until warm.
What page of the manual? Also, if it means to raise 300rpm like when high idle is on then i understand. But 300+ rpm FLUCTUATION is not normal.

I will take video of it and post it up to quell all the questions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The wait to start indicator illuminates signaling that the glow plugs are heating up (not ready to start). When it turns off after being illuminated is when the engine is ready to start. A continuous light means a fault with the glow plugs.
Not allowing the glow plugs to heat up can cause the glow plugs to not last as long, sputtering/poor start in cold weather, and flushing the cylinders with unburnt fuel/ increased fuel in oil dilution.
I wrote it wrong. I put key in the ignition, turn to KOEO and watch for the glow plug light to go out, THEN i turn the key to start.

Its not the glow plugs, its not the fuel and its certainly not normal. I have a few people around me who have the same year truck using the same fuel from the same stations. They have ZERO issues when starting in the same weather conditions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The last two days it hasnt done it once. Its been under 30 degrees where i live for the last 7 days.

Also had a CEL come up yesterday. P1478 for particulate matter sensor high voltage. So this will be the 3rd particulate sensor they will put in this thing.....SMFH.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, I have a 2016 with 59K on it. Mine has alwas done this on real cold starts since new. ( idle speed varying) Did it yesterday morning, cold start 0 deg. Warmed up, ran fine. I Never considered it an issue. It always seems to smooth out once fully warm.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Welp, the ******* pile of junk now needs the entire DPF section of the exhaust replaced. Parts are on backorder and no known date of when they will be available.

·
Registered
‘17 Colorado CCLB 2wd 2.8L Duramax Summit White
116 Posts
Do you use BlueDEF Platinum? I hear it solves all DEF problems.
/s

·
Registered
92 Posts
Beats me why they put 3 particulate matter sensors on it. The second one i would have been looking at something else to be the cause of the problem. Do you mean Diesel Exhaust Filter or Diesel Exhaust Fluid? Still on the original PM sensor here.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Now the dealer is telling me that another dealer within a 45min drive has the DPF pipe on a shelf but that GM requires a 24 hour hold to authorize it for warranty repair.
I’ve already lost my **** at the service advisor on GMs absolutely idiotic practices but this takes the cake on the stupidest ******* **** I’ve ever dealt with on a vehicle.
So instead of sending a parts truck to grab it in the morning and have it done tomorrow afternoon, my dealer now has to wait until Friday to get sent out from the other dealership. It’ll be another 4-5 days before I get the truck back. And that is if GM even authorizes the stupid part exchange.

So it’s a backordered part yet they have them on the shelves of dealers.....idiots.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Gm might be a little touchy about replacing a dpf or Scr portion of the exhaust. A non factory tune or incorrect non dexos oil can cause a failure of these parts which they would not cover.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Gm might be a little touchy about replacing a dpf or Scr portion of the exhaust. A non factory tune or incorrect non dexos oil can cause a failure of these parts which they would not cover.
No tune, always oil and filter changes from one of the largest Chevrolet dealerships in the DC area and ONLY that dealer. Its been OKed by GM warranty to replace the DPF exhaust pipe portion but the item is on backorder from GM with no known replacement date. The part at the other dealer is an old stock item.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Now the dealer is telling me that another dealer within a 45min drive has the DEF pipe on a shelf but that GM requires a 24 hour hold to authorize it for warranty repair.
I’ve already lost my ** at the service advisor on GMs absolutely idiotic practices but this takes the cake on the stupidest * **** I’ve ever dealt with on a vehicle.
So instead of sending a parts truck to grab it in the morning and have it done tomorrow afternoon, my dealer now has to wait until Friday to get sent out from the other dealership. It’ll be another 4-5 days before I get the truck back. And that is if GM even authorizes the stupid part exchange.

So it’s a backordered part yet they have them on the shelves of dealers.....idiots.
Sounds like you, or dealer has mixed up DEF and DPF. Earlier you stayed you had replaced 3 PM sensors, which is part of the DPF system. Now you say you need a DEF pipe, assuming SCR which is DEF (urea) system . Does anyone at the dealer know how to fix your truck, because they sure are good at throwing parts at it.
Not sure what pipe they ate referring to, but if it is an SCR failure, you are among very few. I suspect you need a better diagnostician.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Sounds like you, or dealer has mixed up DEF and DPF. Earlier you stayed you had replaced 3 PM sensors, which is part of the DPF system. Now you say you need a DEF pipe, assuming SCR which is DEF (urea) system . Does anyone at the dealer know how to fix your truck, because they sure are good at throwing parts at it.
Not sure what pipe they ate referring to, but if it is an SCR failure, you are among very few. I suspect you need a better diagnostician.
That would be me. It’s the DPF pipe that needs to be replaced due to a third particulate matter sensor failure and the threads being stripped.

Reactions: dmaxjr

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Miraculously if you bitch enough to GM's customer service representative they actually do something....truck is supposed to be fixed by the end of the day today. Get it either tonight or tomorrow morning.

I still cannot fathom the thought process in telling the customer that its a "no known date" of replacement in the parts system to "oh we found one and truck will be ready tomorrow". GM is a ******* mess.

Time to find another truck.

Reactions: 16WhiteColly
41 - 60 of 73 Posts