Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
No. It will surge in gear also. Its enough of a surge that it will almost overpower the brakes. Hence why i know this is not normal.
Yeah 100%.

I know what these guys are talking about with the surge on cold start but that goes away once in gear. So it can’t be that now.

change the map. I would do that anyway every so often. I have a 17 and the original map says made in Japan. The new one I just got says made in Germany so at worst it’s made at different plants. Maybe different supplier entirely. Potentially updated spec too? Maybe doesn’t do anything but maybe it does. It’ll be covered in sh*t regardless by now

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
329 Posts
Given the original description I was under the impression it was a surge while idling at cold start. Not for 15 min while in gear. Hope ya find the issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I hate to say it, but it could be fuel related, sticky injector, or a fuel pressure sensor. I’d watch the pids and see if something shows something. It could be a maf sensor too. Idk it could be anything, I’m surprised it doesn’t throw a code or pids showing values out of the norm somewhere

·
Registered
522 Posts
I think mine might have done this once. I almost always use a block heater when it's cold (I live at altitude), and I think it may have happened one of the few times I forgot to plug the truck in. Leaving my driveway has me immediately going up a max grade mountain road, so I'm on steady throttle all the way through a very quick warmup, and wouldn't have had an opportunity for it to do much beyond that in terms of overpowering brakes or anything.

Which is to say, maybe try a block heater when it's cold?

·
Registered
642 Posts
I am curious like all the others, please keep us posted on your findings. Mine has done this as well. But we are retired now & it sits for weeks on end. I usually don't even start it up occasionally unless we get snow & I gotta move it to blow the snow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a 2016 duramax, I set it to high idle on my vehicle settings years ago when i first got it and even today at 50f, it went to 1000rpm and stayed there until it started warming up. No surging. Either GM changed the warmup programing on later years. Or a sensor is reading incorrect. You would need to look at live data from the ECM.

·
Registered
92 Posts
This may seem stupid to ask, but it is pretty important with a diesel. Are you waiting for the glow plug wait to start indicater to go out before cranking it over? This is for the people who say its stalling.

·
Registered
518 Posts
What you are describing is not the maybe 15-20 second start up surge that trucks started at below 32F. experience. That is a very short sequence, nothing like you are describing. I hope you are able to find the issue and post it back!

·
Registered
92 Posts
What you are describing is not the maybe 15-20 second start up surge that trucks started at below 32F. experience. That is a very short sequence, nothing like you are describing. I hope you are able to find the issue and post it back!
This should be the egr valve and throttle body going though their initial start test sequence.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It may annoy you but I dobt think its really a problem. From what I'm experiencing and what I've read i think ... now hear me out... diesel doesn't like cold weather? Not trying to be a smart ass. Just don't think your going to find a solution till spring.
The surge is a symptom of a underlying issue.
Have owned 6.2,6.5,5.9s,6.6 Dmax, cruze 2.0L, 2.8CRD and more. Never had the surging like OP describing.

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
329 Posts
The surge is a symptom of a underlying issue.
Have owned 6.2,6.5,5.9s,6.6 Dmax, cruze 2.0L, 2.8CRD and more. Never had the surging like OP describing.
Nor have I, I have the surge on COLD START ONLY for the first 30 seconds or so. In his first post he did not say it lasted for up to 15 min. This is far longer then myself or the others here are experiencing. Most off us were im guessing assuming his "cold start issue" went away within seconds of starting. Not minutes. I would think at this point he would be close to lemon law buy back. In ny the dealer gets 3 attempts to remedy an issue as long as its the same exact issue on a unmodified vehicle. Had a Subaru that over heated on way home from dealership. Took back thee times. They replaced head gasket 2 times and the head the 3rd time. Lasted 3 days and took back and said take it back or take it to court. They took it back on the spot. Found out later it was a cracked block. Wich I told them was likely when I first took it back. I had oil in my coolant rez. Only soo many places that happens. Head or block.
If i were the op id be raising hell if it was more then 3 attempts at the same problem.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Must have to be pretty cold to surge , at -20c and not plugged in I never have had a surge. I have elevated idle selected, idles at 950 rpm until coolant gets warm. Even after driving to town and stopping for supplies, let it idle while loading truck, it will start to ramp up from 600 rpm to 950 rpm if I idle too long and it starts to cool a little.
Without elevated idle selected none of this occurs , except initial start up it will idle at 700 for a few seconds and ramp down to 600. 100% stock. My 2016 Duramax canyon worked the same way.
I liked the elevated idle option on my 6.6L dmax better, you could ramp idle up or down with cruise button, up to 1150 rpm. But it also had the ability to use a PTO, so the mini max really doesn't need that option.

·
Registered
2017 Canyon AT 4x4 2.8L CCLB Dark Slate Metallic
1,431 Posts
Mine surges on cold start at around 40F and below, and it only lasts for about 5 min of idle or less if I start driving it.

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71 Duramax
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
To Update:

I always wait for the glow plug light to come on before starting unless im using the keyfob. Neither way of starting it effects the surge from what i can tell.

Yesterday morning, it was 39F and it started and idled at 1000rpm(i assume this is the elevated idle setting actually working) and held there. It held the 1000rpm for 10 minutes as the truck warmed up and then settled to normal idle speed of 800rpm. No surge or feeling like stalling. So, its somewhat intermittent to where it will do it 80% of the time and on occasion will idle normally.

I have an oil change coming up so i will drop it off with the dealer for an extended period of time(again) to hopefully find out what is going on.

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
329 Posts
Intermittent problems with no codes or dic messages will be hard for them to diagnose.. sounds like it will have to be cold when you take it in then if they start it up itll likely warm up enough that they only get a short time to diagnose

·
Registered
2017 Colorado Z71 Duramax
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Welp, dealer had it for a week. They found the issue one time but could not replicate what was going on after that. Told me bad fuel(again) which i know isn't the issue.

Going to start putting it back to stock. Cannot stand the issues any longer.

·
Registered
2018 zr2 ccsb duramax
329 Posts
I was looking into this issue and in my diesel manual it states that in cold conditions you will experience 300 rpm fluctuation in the engine. Until warm.

·
Registered
92 Posts
To Update:

I always wait for the glow plug light to come on before starting unless im using the keyfob. Neither way of starting it effects the surge from what i can tell.
The wait to start indicator illuminates signaling that the glow plugs are heating up (not ready to start). When it turns off after being illuminated is when the engine is ready to start. A continuous light means a fault with the glow plugs.
Not allowing the glow plugs to heat up can cause the glow plugs to not last as long, sputtering/poor start in cold weather, and flushing the cylinders with unburnt fuel/ increased fuel in oil dilution.

·
Registered
289 Posts
2016 stock Colorado 2.8 here.
Bone stock with nearly 57,000 miles.
I have no surging in cold weather regardless of high idle setting or not.
Doesn't matter if started with the key, remote start as I'm walking up to the vehicle in a parking lot, or using the Chevrolet app to start it with my phone.
What you are experiencing is not normal compared to my personal experiences when starting in cold weather using the 3 above starting methods.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts