Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my cluster out to have the leds done. When i put it back in the milage is stuck on 54,000 (which is not my milage) also the trip is stuck on 0. Gas, temp, speedo, tach all work fine. I know the cluster was pluged into another truck to test the leds. I read another thread on this, but didnt see any outcome. Im sure it wouldnt be covered under warranty sinse its modified. Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
how long did you give it? I think it will reset after time. you might want to try undoing your negative terminal for 30 minutes and hooking back up to reset your computer.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
This is starting to be a problem, and I think I know why...

The clusters undergone a software / firmware update recently for the 07 + due to the TPMS. If you have a truck that does not have that, and stick a cluster in a truck that does, it may jam the cluster up with useless code, hence locking it.

My guess is GM did not build redundant code into it, also knowing them they do not use a different part number for different versions.

Maybe the cluster was stuck on a newer truck that kinda locked up the chip..

Another possibility is the LED's are not eating enough power, but this seems to be able to be ruled out since if that were the case, it would not power up at all.

This is why when I am making LED Clusters I have a socket outside the truck on my work bench... so I can power it up w/o the truck.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I would suggest removing the cluster and try putting it into another colorado/canyon to see if it updates to their data.

If you take it out. on the back, it will be printed in white, can you tell me the software version?

Another possible problem is who ever switched over to LED's left his iron on the board to long and burned up some chip and or resistor. These boards are made real cheap in mexico, and they can go bad real fast.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
I'm thinking it is retaining the info of the truck with the higher mileage due to odometer fraud laws. When the cluster was tested, it was put into a truck with higher miles and it is now retaining that mileage. Since your truck has lower mileage, it will not move until your truck reaches that mileage.

Just my theory.

·
Registered
3,976 Posts
DBNissan said:
I'm thinking it is retaining the info of the truck with the higher mileage due to odometer fraud laws. When the cluster was tested, it was put into a truck with higher miles and it is now retaining that mileage. Since your truck has lower mileage, it will not move until your truck reaches that mileage.

Just my theory.
Could very well be. This is the first thing that's sort of making any sort of sense. But I was always under the impression that the mileage was stored in the BCM....................

Is this not true anymore??

The cluster was tested on two trucks before going back to the original truck. Both trucks were 2006's and the cluster was out of an '07.

The first truck had 15,xxx miles and the second had 54,xxx miles.

And at both times, it read both of their mileages but now it's stuck to the second truck's mileage.

·
Premium Member
16,808 Posts
rrcn said:
DBNissan said:

Just my theory.
Could very well be. This is the first thing that's sort of making any sort of sense. But I was always under the impression that the mileage was stored in the BCM....................

Is this not true anymore??

The cluster was tested on two trucks before going back to the original truck. Both trucks were 2006's and the cluster was out of an '07.

The first truck had 15,xxx miles and the second had 54,xxx miles.

And at both times, it read both of their mileages but now it's stuck to the second truck's mileage.
I believe both of those trucks had more miles than Ron's and that's why they displayed correct mileage. I'm thinking the cluster has some retentive memory and it will hold the higher mileage of the truck it was connected to. If you try connecting it to mine with 73k, I bet it will activate with my mileage and work again. Then, when it's disconnected, it is expecting to see the last mileage it displayed. But since Ron's truck has low mileage, it will sit there until the BCM catches up to the displayed mileage. Almost as though it is waiting for a matching algorithm before it will continue to count.

Kind of like some sort of redundancy security check to prevent any way of doing odometer fraud.

Again, just my theory.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No luck with the gage cluster. The message center works, doors, park brake, even let the air out of one of the tires, and the cluster caught it. My buddy said they have a brain, and would have to be redone by the dealer or such. I will make a call tommorow.

The 1st truck, the cluster showed 12,000. The second truck, showed 54,000. And now my truck shows the same 54,000. I had 27,000 and some change on mine. When I get more info i will post it up.

Numbers for wwrgsww:

one spot in back with a bar code reads
1230195 REV1
S/W 14.28
Build Date 6158
NS0616505-X

Small sticker reads:
Auto Dom up, 912K
06-14-06
3013878 170
GM15858113
484887240 (S)

Also wwrgsww. How do you calibrate needles and bench test your clusters?

Thanks, for the input guys, this sux.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts