Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Z71 Colorado with 1500 miles and I've noticed that the air conditioning compressor activates when the climate control system is in manual mode with the air conditioning button not turned on (activated). I turn the fan on for air circulation (only) with the system not in the auto mode and I see (and hear) the air conditioning compressor engage. Is this normal for this truck? This doesn't happen with my other GM model cars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Many other postings on here about this. The AC will come on anytime it thinks the humidity is too high in the truck regardless of how the controls are set.

·
Registered
376 Posts
And it's annoying as hell to not be able to manually control the AC. I don't want it running all the time. That's why there is a selector switch...OFF should mean OFF.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree 100%. I thought I was losing my mind the other day. I leave for work pretty early in the morning, typically not warm enough to need AC. I left my driveway with the AC in the OFF mode, fan on, temp set to mid to upper 60s, just nice morning fresh air coming in.

About 2 miles down the road, I felt the air getting ICE COLD. I had no idea that this truck would do that on its own. I had to crank up the temp to 74 to not freeze myself.

On the way home around 3 PM, when it was baking hot out, that's when I would figure any AUTOMATIC setting should kick in. But, alas, I have to turn the AC on now that I really need it and bring the temp back down to LOW.

Weird as all get out....

·
Registered
119 Posts
The worst part about our AC is that it continues to push air through the coils, even after you turn it off. The reason it does this, according to a service manager, is to dry the coils out and prevent bacteria/mold growth. Funny, because my AC still has a funky smell to it. I change the cabin filter twice a year, and I know I'm not the only one. My wife's '14 Cherokee has the same issue (worse). It's the design, it's not as open as they used to be. Now it's all contained with a little drain tube. Apparently, water/ dust/ dirt is getting trapped and causing an issue. All running the air past the coils does is move the smell around through the cabin.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just posted this same question and was given the link to this thread. At least I am not going crazy or taking this in for service for this happening now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I took my 2018 Colorado ZR2 to the shop complaining about the truck allowing too much outside air in when the system was set to recirculate. They looked at me like I was crazy, after a couple of other visits, they told me that there had been an upgrade. That has worked better. But the system still chooses to turn the air on whenever it wants whether the button is on or off which is extremely infuriating as I am a little cold natured and mostly would prefer just fresh air passing through. A real pain, that my wishes have no bearing on what the truck chooses to do as it relates to the use of air condition air! Also, the lights on the buttons flash erratically, not on and off through the little yellow indicator, but literally on and off as if the lightbulb doesn’t know whether to shine or not behind the button. This has got to be fixed so if Chevy engineers are reading this thread, please make the less “smart” and let me control the settings. My only choice is to turn it off and have no air moving in the car or to turn it on and let it do whatever minutes. Is this truly your intention?!

·
Registered
235 Posts
It turns on the A/C when it senses high humidity.The A/C will dehumidify the interior. Evidently more vehicles do this than people realize. I "fixed" mine by unplugging the sensor that is on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. One of the engineers , I work for GM, told me if I unplug the sensor it will stop this. It will set a soft code, no check engine light, but it will set a code. I did this probably a year ago and I have not had the "problem" again and it has not affected anything else. I think I posted about this before.

·
Registered
438 Posts
It turns on the A/C when it senses high humidity.The A/C will dehumidify the interior. Evidently more vehicles do this than people realize. I "fixed" mine by unplugging the sensor that is on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. One of the engineers , I work for GM, told me if I unplug the sensor it will stop this. It will set a soft code, no check engine light, but it will set a code. I did this probably a year ago and I have not had the "problem" again and it has not affected anything else. I think I posted about this before.
Curious, how much trouble is it to get to it? I haven't looked yet, but what's used to take off the housing/cover? Thanks for the help....

Reactions: 16WhiteColly

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Denali 2.8L Duramax Turbo-Diesel
24 Posts
I seem to remember that there is a preference setting that says something like should the climate control manage moisture, or humidity. I think it's a setting, didn't think of it when I was going through the menus, but I'll look next time I'm in the truck. You might be able to tell it to not automatically control moisture and maybe it won't turn on the a/c?

From the owners manual for the 2020 Denali:
Auto Defog : The climate control system may have a sensor to automatically detect high humidity inside the vehicle. When high humidity is detected, the climate control system may adjust air delivery modes, outside air supply, and turn on the air conditioner. If the climate control system does not detect possible window fogging, it returns to normal operation. To turn Auto Defog off or on, see “Climate and Air Quality” under Vehicle Personalization 0 122

·
Registered
235 Posts
I did all of that. The 2018 works the same. It will still turn the A/C on to dehumidify the cab when the sensor determines it needs to. I will have to look back to see what I did. It has been a while since I did it. I like it the way it is now and glad I unplugged the sensor. When I put a scanner on it, I can see the code but it does not turn on the check engine light. That is a soft code. Does not affect anything else.

·
Registered
2020 GMC Canyon Denali 2.8L Duramax Turbo-Diesel
24 Posts
After posting that note from the owners manual, I was curious, so I tried changing the soft setting to turn off moisture control on my 2020... and as Jerry noted, it doesn't seem to do anything. The A/C is on whenever it wants to be on :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts