Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite ROTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck is a 2017 with the Duramax. So now that the dead of winter has set in on us here in Wisconsin I've come across an issue.

Early morning air temps on the drive in to work have been -5 to -10 and not much above zero on the way home or any part of the day for that matter.

Truck heats up just fine but once hot the temp control has virtually no affect on the temp of the air coming out of the vents. From HI or 90 down to 63-65 the air basically stays the same temp. I also refuse to use the AUTO feature on the climate control. What a joke that is. Anyway, it appears there is something malfunctioning.

Now if I turn it to LOW or even sometimes around 63 degrees it will blow cold air and blend it in but within 10 seconds it blows hot air again. You can here the change in the tone of the blower when it sucks cold air in but it won't hold it. Luckily it's blowing hot air or at least warm air being this cold outside. I can't tell if it's heating as hot as it should too.

I know there was an issue with the blend door on 2015/16's and I thought I even saw a recall on the ones that were acting up. I made an appointment for next week to have them look at it. Any thoughts or ideas? Or anyone else have a similar issue?

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Yeah, Have them look at it. The hot air just doesn't seem as hot as in my old trucks. (First Gen Colorados). My cab gets nice and warm but the air coming out just doesn't seem as hot. I'm also not living with -10 degrees yet. Starting to get close though. Sucks! Tell us what they say, thanks. I never use the Climate Control Auto either. I just keep it set at 70 degrees.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Yeah, Have them look at it. The hot air just doesn't seem as hot as in my old trucks. (First Gen Colorados). My cab gets nice and warm but the air coming out just doesn't seem as hot. I'm also not living with -10 degrees yet. Starting to get close though. Sucks! Tell us what they say, thanks. I never use the Climate Control Auto either. I just keep it set at 70 degrees.
It does sound like the OP's truck does have some HVAC control issue. I also only use Manual mode, and the temp control is slower to respond and best to set it and let it do it's thing. However, if I set the heat to something like 75 - 80, it will eventually get uncomfortably hot. I usually set it around 72 - 74 and leave it there.

I find the same on our 2017 Colorado compared to the 2010 1st Gen we owned for 7 years as far as more responsive control. I think they had the old fashion direct cable and lever controls, so the dampers, doors, etc did exactly what you wanted it too without a motor and electronics involved.

A trip to the OP's dealer should fix it I would think.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I know there was an issue with the blend door on 2015/16's and I thought I even saw a recall on the ones that were acting up. I made an appointment for next week to have them look at it. Any thoughts or ideas? Or anyone else have a similar issue?
There was an issue with cracking on the blend door, but was fixed after late Jan 2016 models, before that was the recall to install the clamp. You can see the blend door under the dash drivers side, have someone operate the HVAC to see if it is moving correctly. A picture of what it looks like is in this thread.

http://coloradofans.com/forums/209-...-program-2016019-hvac-module-temp-door-4.html

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well as luck would have it things warmed up here so it was acting "normal" when I took it in. I would say around +20 degrees it functions as it should. When temps starts to head down it starts to get worse. At zero degreesor colder, like this am, I basically have minimal control over the hot. Some or a little but not all control.

This morning at -3 the only way to get it to stop blowing hot air was to turn it all the way to low or 60 degrees. Then it basically blew the a/c on low and froze me out. Dealer told me there's 2 temp sensors in the cab that control this. My guess is they are either next to the firewall or near the outside of the car and when it's super cold they never warm up so then they keep feeding hot air into the system and won't blend in more cold air. Who knows. Kinda p!sses me off though. Never had a vehicle in 25+ years act like this.

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
I'm not getting this. Why not just turn the fan off? Set the temp down low and turn the fan off. No? At -3 degrees I'm sure you won't be too hot.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what don't you get? if I turn it off it will be freezing cold in the cab within minutes. If I turn it on even at its lowest setting it's too hot, like 80 degrees hot. there's no in between. I shouldn't have to cycle my climate control to off to on to off to on every 30 seconds to keep it comfortable

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
@Herdbull , What? It gets to 0 degrees here and I don't have this problem. If it is too cold with the fan off then turn it on low. No? What the hell. It's really not that hard. Anyhow, have fun trying to figure out how to work your heater. Good luck. By the way, I never use Auto Control. I just set it where I want it. I'm still not sure what the problem is?

·
Registered
183 Posts
@Herdbull , What? It gets to 0 degrees here and I don't have this problem. If it is too cold with the fan off then turn it on low. No? What the hell. It's really not that hard. Anyhow, have fun trying to figure out how to work your heater. Good luck. By the way, I never use Auto Control. I just set it where I want it. I'm still not sure what the problem is?
If you don't understand, it is because you don't have his problem. I do have the same problem and I understand it completely. I don't understand your inability to understand. What is your problem?

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
LOL you set the heat to keep the inside warm and not too hot. No? That is a problem? Set it by fan speed and temperature, No?
It's really not that hard unless it never gets hot.

·
Registered
183 Posts
LOL you set the heat to keep the inside warm and not too hot. No? That is a problem? Set it by fan speed and temperature, No?
It's really not that hard unless it never gets hot.
The problem is when one click of the temp knob, with the fan on low, moves it from too cold to too hot, or vice versa. There are no combinations of fan speed and temp that provide comfort. Moreover, if you do find one (this doesn't happen all the time, in all conditions) then it doesn't hold that temp, so you start all over, often fruitlessly, to the extent you have to give it up just to pay attention to the road.

I've been driving forty-eight years and never had such a bonkers system. Maybe next year will be the one I figure out how to work a heating/AC system.

What is hard to understand here?

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
LOL, That is funny. One click and you are hot and one click and you are cold Immediately? Come on, really? Just funny. Oh my god, you have to adjust the heater every once in a while in the winter. Are you kidding? Have fun.

Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a problem, but not like that, on high, it was fine, one click lower it blew cold, only did it a few times. Dealer replaced control module for climate control. I have noticed even with everything off, it still tries to control temp, probably normal.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The problem is when one click of the temp knob, with the fan on low, moves it from too cold to too hot, or vice versa. There are no combinations of fan speed and temp that provide comfort. Moreover, if you do find one (this doesn't happen all the time, in all conditions) then it doesn't hold that temp, so you start all over, often fruitlessly, to the extent you have to give it up just to pay attention to the road.

I've been driving forty-eight years and never had such a bonkers system. Maybe next year will be the one I figure out how to work a heating/AC system.

What is hard to understand here?
I have the same problem. I noticed it is more severe if I am turning the temperature down. I can sit it to 69 degrees F and I have much hotter air than 69 degrees coming out of the vents. If I turn it down one degree then the air gets much colder. If I dial it down another 2-3 degrees for 30 seconds or so and then turn it back to 69 degrees it seems to be more accurate. Also, if make a right or left turn when it is cold outside, I feel cold air rush in and can feel it at the lower center console. What I do not know is how GM is handling the temperature control. If using return air, then it is possible warmer air could be coming from the vents to compensate for raising the return air temp. Regardless, making a 1 degree adjustment should not cause a drastic change in vent temperature.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
When I bought my truck, I set the system to auto, set it for 72 and have never touched it. Seems to work from 0 to 70 so far....

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Thanks billv. I'll keep that in mind when talking with service on my next visit.
I would take it to the service dept as soon as it gets that cold again. Do not drive it into the service dept, let them come out where it is cold and show them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I was searching through threads on HVAC problems and wondering if the OP ever got his problem fixed. I just found out on a recent trip that my climate control on my 2017 has a mind of its own. While cruising down the highway I had my vent on about 70 degrees in manual mode, fan at lowest setting, and the outside temp was in the low fifties. I then turned off the system completely from there. A few minutes later I noticed air coming through the vents. Not just a little, a very noticeable amount that I felt instantly when it began. At first the temp of the air was about the 70 degrees or so that I previously had the it on. With a minute the air temp had raised to hotter than I had ever felt. This was all still while the system was off. The only way I was able to get the hot air to quit blowing was to turn on the system and run it on low for a few seconds and then turn it back off.

So far this as happened three times, with air blowing through both the vent and defroster, whatever I had it on prior to shutting it off. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts