Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

Clearing Trouble Codes by fixing the problem?

7K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  Zak84 
#1 ·
Hey all, I installed some airlift airbags and a compressor a while back. I used a cheap fuse tap to tap into the F19 fuse (air shutters) and run a low voltage line for the compressor remote. The main power source for the compressor is attached directly to the battery.

Well, a couple months after I did this, the fuse tap had worked itself loose. No big deal, I bought a better fuse tap system and tapped into the fog light fuse, because the location was better for that wiring. I reinstalled the 10A fuse into F19 and thought I was good to go.

Yesterday I started getting (or at least noticed) that I had a check engine light on. Went to AutoZone, they said the code was U0284. Actually had 3 hits on the same code. That appears to be "Lost Communication With Active Grille Air Shutter 1 Motor Module". That seems to be related to the F19 fuse. I pulled the fuse again and looked at it. It didn't appear to be blown, but I replaced it anyway. The check engine light is still on (AZ said they aren't allowed to erase codes). Would that go off if the fuse was the problem and is now fixed? Is there another fuse or module I should be checking? I'm under warranty, but don't really feel like fighting them, if they're going to blame me for this anyway. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I really do not think a “Lack of Communication” code will go away on its own. Some other codes will. You could try disconnecting the battery and see.

Reactions: Zak84
#4 ·
The product I work on will clear a resolved code after 50 ignition cycles or I can clear it and see codes by holding the trip reset as ignition is turned on, I don't think you can do this on our trucks without a reader but I honestly don't know.
You can but a low end reader that can do the job for under a hundred bucks, google is [or maybe not] your friend.

#5 ·
GMs love to throw communication lost codes when modules lose power. I see a lot of these as I work on a lot of salvaged vehicles that have been damaged. I don't think the code will go away by itself as I've worked on vehicles months after they've been fixed and the codes were still there. Once reset they don't come back.... Unless there's a faulty module. All those modules work on a communication network and one losing power will break the chain and throw a code.

#6 ·
FWIW, I removed the negative cable from the battery and left it off for a few minutes. It stayed off during my first trip, indicating to me that I had successfully cleared the code. But then it came back on my second drive, so not sure if I ever fixed the problem. I've got an appointment at the dealership on Friday. I hope they don't yell at me ?

#7 ·
They won’t yell at you, they may charge you a lot. If they find out what you did, the warranty will not cover it.

Reactions: Zak84
#9 ·
This may be worth a try.....

I had a similar problem with the TCM fuse.

After close inspection I found the blades of the fuse were not making a good connection in the socket.

I initially tried to use the TCM fuse for my compressor. I used one of those cheesy add-a-fuse thingys at the TCM terminal but changed to the #19 as you did.

months later, out of the blue, CEL (would not clear) and tranny acting bizarre

Apparently when I removed the cheesy fuse thingy and reinstalled the TCM fuse one of the blades did not make a direct connection in the metallic socket.

When checking power at the top of the fuse it was all good cause the fuse did not blow it just was not making connection on both blades.

When I removed the fuse and looked close into the box I saw the fuse socket was misaligned in the fuse box. Probably caused when I tried the cheesy fuse thing

A slight bend of the blades to direct connection and it's all good

Good luck, gremlins are a bitch

#18 ·
@Zak84 In the future, don't use those types of fuse taps, I'm guessing you used the little folded copper one?....Get the ones that have an extra fuse slot, they plug in exactly like a fuse.
Glad it's fixed!

Get something like these, I can't remember what we have, micro, mini, ......???

Reactions: Vinolush
#20 ·
@Zak84 In the future, don't use those types of fuse taps, I'm guessing you used the little folded copper one?....Get the ones that have an extra fuse slot, they plug in exactly like a fuse.
Glad it's fixed!

Get something like these, I can't remember what we have, micro, mini, ......???

Yup, that's what I switched from and to, and when the problem started. Already have a pack of the upgraded fuse taps. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.