Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope you all don't kick me out of here for making a post about a car seat. The kids safety is really important though, so maybe yall can help me out.

So i go to install a forward facing car seat in rear of our crew cab. I am having a problem where the base of the car seat does not come close to touching the back of the seat. This is caused by the vertical angle of the seats and the integrated head rest. The top of the car hits the head rest way up high, and prvents the bottom of the car seat from touching the seat where the latch system is. I have tried a couple different seats with not luck.

I was able to get the seat to fit in the center position because there is no head rest, but from what the wife tells me, i am thinking we will need to have 2 cars back there soon.

Has anyone had an better luck installing car seats? If so, please let me know what brand you use.

·
Registered
737 Posts
wow am glad i saw this post..i just recenty bought my crew cab truck cuz the wife is pregeant and is due in acouple weeks and i never even tried to fit a seat back there yet cuz i figured there would be no problems

·
Registered
76 Posts
Check with local PD or FD

I had the same problem and the local police dept has two officers that will make sure it is properly installed. If not the police check with your local fire dept. They actually had two guys in there to get it secure and used some hard foam to fill in the gap between the car seat and backrest.
Our carseat is a Graco, but there are alot to choose from.
Here they do not charge for the installation, I just called and scheduled with them. It's worth checking out because there is no way I could have gotten as tight a fit as the two of them did, one put all of his weight on the seat and the other strapped it in.
PlatinumZ71- The rear facing seat (for infants) may be a little closer fit to the front seat and may work better in the middle, if the seat can be secured there properly. It makes it easier to keep and eye on the little one from the passenger seat and keeps them out of the sun a little more.
Good luck and congrats on the baby on the way. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Forward facing car seat that I have a COSCO seat, everything you put in there will bottom out against the head rest so it seems. However I find this one fits well considering, I use the Latch method for installing this seat should keep it very secure. You could use foam ie pool noodle to help with the void back space area & under the seat as well. Just make sure to get the Latch system tight.

I also have to install a second seat plan on using a graco snuggley rear facing with detachable base, I'll let you know likely going to put it in this week-end as the wife is telling me we never take the truck anywhere :roll: (Yeah its true like I want to take it to the grocery store or walmart so I can catch a coasting cart). She is learning though often says "is that the store over there" since I have parked us way down the lot and thats with her car :lol:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip about going to the Police/Fire dept. I guess I just don't like to ask other guys for help, since I should be able to do things myself. I didn't think about using foam. All in all, I am very dissappoint that Chevy designed and marketed a "family" truck marketed to the younger generation with small kids, and then make it so that a standard car seat wouldn't fit well.

I had not problems with the rear facing car seats.

Does anyone know if the leather seats have removable head rests in the back seat? If that head rest could be removed, it would be no problem. maybe i could swap in some leather, or take a sawzall to the head rest in the back of mine.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
It's been a wyle but I used a large noodle roll like the kids use for swimming you can get them at wally world, worked great in the silverado,

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I have two car seats in the back of my CrewCab Canyon and didn't have any problem getting them secured in place.
They are Costco Eddie Bower seats.
I have moved them in and out of the truck a few times when we have done trips in other vehicles so I have developed a bit of a method for putting them in.
I do up the rear strap loosly and snug it up slightly while I lock the seatback into it's position.
Then I attach the lower straps to their seat loops.
Then I actually get in the back of the cab and put all my weight down on one knee in the carseat while I pull the latch strap at the bottom tight.
If I had the rear one snug befor I tighten the lower one, my weight pulls down on the top of the head restraint and gets both starps very, very tight.

This is one place where I love the Canyon so much over my old 03 Sonoma.
The Sonoma had a one-piece seatback(vs. the Canyon's 60/40) and I had to try and do both carseats at the same time.

If I get a chance today I'll grab some pics of how I have the seats positioned.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GMCdriver pics would be great.

Fire 2505 do you have the leather seats with removable head rests? the Standard seats don't have removable head rests.

·
Registered
139 Posts
i have had a cosco seat rear facing and front facing. if rear facing, i would suggest putting it in the middlebut anfter the first year when the seat can be forward facing, put it to the passenger side. my little girl is 15 months now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does anyone else find it difficult to get your child out of the car seat and out the door without bumping their heads?

I have to lift my little girl up all the way to the ceiling to get her legs to clear and then have to bring her back down in the same motion to get her out of the door without bumping her head. When I turn her around in a few months, I am thinking that I am going to have to put her in from the front seat...

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Crew Cab rear seat worked really well with the infant car seat we had. It had the detachable base. The base worked good with the LATCH system and the seat just nicely snapped in. Now that my daughter is over a year old, we bought a new car seat. Just liked everybody says, there is a gap between the back of the seat and the car seat. I was able though, to get the car seat very tight using the LATCH system. The only thing is with the permanent headrest, the rear strap really pushes the headrest into a BIG v! Hopefully it won't damage the headrest.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I REALLY had to use a lot of force to get it to tighten down, in order to get the seat to stay level. It is a little tricky to hook the rear hook in at the right length, I had to try many times to get the length just right. But now, as I tighten the bottom LATCH belt, the seat is very snug - No movement front to back or just as important, side to side. The car seat brand is Evenflo.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hey Shamrock Shooter-
I have an Evenflo [triumph?] child seat in my crew cab without any fitting problems. You do have to put your knee into the seat to get it in snug- it isn't suppossed to slide side to side either- I think the booklet says under 1". It just takes some force, but better to do it right and be secure. Mine does have a foot that flips back and forth to accomodate several seat angles though.

I had it installed on the cloth seats, without a problem. Now I have factory leather seats installed, I removed the headrests since we don't use them and I like the extra visibility [one of the reasons I upgraded the seats]. You have to put a small screwdriver / coat hanger wire into the small hole on the headrest retainer, while pushing button on other retainer, to release the headrest.

We got our seat at babies-r-us. They let us try the seats for fit prior to purchase; I imagine any reputable retailer would do the same. They also offered experienced help installing it, or directed us to the local police/fire/sherrif who offer free help if you can't install it properly. I know they also sell seat levelers- these giant foam tubes that go under the carseat to level it out for a better fit. Go here; http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.js ... Id=2343250

Personally, I'd try to make it fit without extra bits to slide around, but they must make those for a reason. I also got a seatback carrier for the front seat, 'cause kids love to kick :p ; Like this, but I don't know this retailer; http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Expressions- ... B000AMADD2 You won't believe how handy it is to have toys/snacks/juice/handwipes that available.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the detailed info and links. I think ours is a Evenflo Triuph too.

How much did it cost you to upgrade to leather seats? Did you have it done at the dealer?

·
Registered
635 Posts
$800 bucks at a wrecking yard + about $50-100 for parts and a schematic of the truck, and a weekend of work to wire it all in. Seats were a lot nicer than you might imagine, and I got $300 for selling the cloth set :) Dealer price you might as well trade in, it was about $3400 for the seats I think.

I looked at the carseat manual on my break, it is an evenflo, but it says "generations" on the book, so maybe the "triumph" is in the car.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts