Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys was wondering if y’all had any clue what this is I heard a loud ticking sound coming from my front drivers side wheel well and it increases when I accelerate, has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like the hpfp is dying. The proper repair for that is to replace all of the high presure fuel side and flush the low pressure side. A failure of the hpfp sends tiny little metal bits into the fuel injectors damaging them. The hpfp is on the front lower driver side of the engine driven by the timing belt.

Have you been running any fuel additive? Wheres the last place you got fuel.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
How many miles on your truck? Ya, that sounds like the high pressure pump. The sound is emanating from the area where the pump is located. I would definitely bring it in for evaluation. Letting that go could cost an engine.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Yah I have an appointment in 3 days it was the soonest I could get it in it has 73,000 miles sounds like ima bend over and take one
Please report back on what the issue was and a general cost. I'm sure you wont be the last person with this issue...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Mine ticks for the first 5 or 10 seconds after a cold start (first one of the day). It has done this since new.

I am not sure this is the same thing people are talking about.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So update they told me “they’re pretty sure it the high pressure fuel pump” but they can’t get them for two months! They told me it should be okay to drive until then is that true should I drive it or no?

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
So update they told me “they’re pretty sure it the high pressure fuel pump” but they can’t get them for two months! They told me it should be okay to drive until then is that true should I drive it or no?
Unless they're willing to insure your engine for free while you drive it, I wouldn't if there was a practical alternative. If that HPFP grenades it'll send metal bits down the whole system and could blow one of your injectors. If the injector goes, it makes a nice flamethrower inside the cylinder.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts