Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I'm curious if anyone is running this configuration of a colorado short bed with the Northstar 600ss? I've seen at least a person run this with a long bed, but nothing with a short bed. Can't seem to find any camper tie downs for the 5ft bed :(. Please let me know if I'm just out of luck or maybe not a good idea to run a slide-in with this truck. I think the gas mileage and versatility would be amazing with a slide-in vs a trailer camper. Anyways, any information would be helpful as I'm not finding too much information online.

Thanks

Slide-in Camper
600SS (2016) For Smaller Trucks. Short/Long Bed | Northstar Campers

Camper Tie Downs 6ft only :(

TorkLift Custom Frame-Mounted Camper Tie-Downs - Front
TorkLift Custom Frame-Mounted Camper Tie-Downs - Rear
Part Numbers: TLC2221,TLC3218

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-prod...5478&hunter=tiedown&tiedownkit=TBF&manuf=TORK

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Welcome to the forum and nice find! A bit pricey, but what isn't nowadays, plus MFG usually has some wiggle room. As for tie downs, fabrication should be pretty easy and straight forward if you have access to a welder - even just a buzz box.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've considered purchasing a small, lightweight camper like that but one thing that comes into play is the center-rear top-of-cab radio antenna that gets in the way of any camper with a cabover. I don't want to have to deal with relocating that.

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you get a slide in, just be CAREFUL how you mount it. YOUTUBE "bent bed on superduty" & you will see what I mean. He tried to raise it up so it wouldn't flex & hit top of truck while driving offroad. It obviously should have the weight evenly distributed over the entire bed floor, not just a few 4x4's.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've considered purchasing a small, lightweight camper like that but one thing that comes into play is the center-rear top-of-cab radio antenna that gets in the way of any camper with a cabover. I don't want to have to deal with relocating that.
There's a company out of Portland, OR that makes replacement stubby antennas. Maybe worth considering?

https://www.cravenspeed.com/the-stubby-antenna/

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
Base Dry Weight 1,258 lbs
My factory payload limit is 1,219LB. This will vary with each truck, so check the tire/payload sticker on the driver's B-pillar to see the payload capacity of your specific truck.

Then subtract your weight from that. Subtract the weight of any other people, any additional gear, any accessories, any clothing, any food, any water...

I bet you'll be over GVWR/GAWR before you even get into the driver's seat. I don't understand how these companies can market these campers for these trucks, they are just too heavy.

Even if your truck had the 1,581LB max payload (stripped model), after dropping the camper on the truck you'd be left with 323LB for you (driver) and any gear you'd need to camp with. If you weigh 200LB then I hope you only need to bring 123LB worth of clothing, food, water, bedding, etc.

You're going to be way overweight. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
How would a 6'3" long floor plan fit a short bed that's a foot shorter? Seems like a lot would be hanging off and not be so good for weight dist.

Also as @DieselDrax brought up, the weight limit is pretty much already exceeded by the camper itself. Just one person and gear would be well beyond limits.

And HOLY CRAP $17k+ for that!?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Colorado plus Northstar Camper - not a good combo
We put a Northstar 600 SS camper on a 2017 Colorado that has an extended cab with the longer bed. We like the truck and the camper separately, but together they haven't worked out. The big issue is the fit. While a 600SS will fit on a Colorado with a long bed it is very very tight. (I'd never put it on a short bed!) The Northstar 600SS was really designed for a Toyota Tacoma and the Colorado is a couple of inches wider -- this makes a world of difference getting it off and on. The space from the outer wheel wells to pass through the jacks is probably an inch on each side, and you must be on absolutely level ground or the side to side rocking will bump the camper frame or jacks while you're trying to slide under. Our vision of putting the camper on and off to go camping on short trips was just too hard, and dropping it at a campground to run around in the pickup and explore was likewise almost impossible. Unless you plan to leave the camper on all the time, I wouldn't do it, and if you do buy one, have the camper installed by the Northstar dealer so they get it centered properly.
We also got beefy tires and airbags for the suspension -- the certified-installer-mounted Firestone airbags have holes less than 2000 miles later. We barely took the truck off the pavement. This is not an off-road rig.
The good news -- the "Stubby" antenna was an easy fix.
Too bad, really. We did like the Northstar camper a lot, and it looked really sharp on a white Colorado.

·
Registered
2017 Laser Blue extended cab 2WD WT (6-cylinder)
324 Posts
For the record, you do know that in the manual (and perhaps in a sticker somewhere on the truck), the GM states that the Colorado was not designed for slide-in campers and that they should not be used (or some weasel words to that effect), right? You should consider warranty and insurance issues of a slide-in.

All that said, it’s your truck so do whatever you want to do with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts