Chevy Colorado & GMC Canyon banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this months Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Well they hold up better to rust but it would sound like crap but still rust.

leave what you have in and odds are you will never need to replace it.

Not much can make a single exhaust sound good by making it louder. Especially 6 & 4 cylinders. Even v8s sound weak with one outlet.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
IMO, you're not working w/ a 70's era V8 muscle car (different engineering/performance) and it would probably sound like total horse doo-doo. Look into something a bit more practical f/ today's vehicles...aFE Power sells an entire line of exhaust systems for our trucks.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Colorado ZR2 3.6 v6 Midnight Edition with sports bar
218 Posts
Since the early to mid-80's, I've liked the "turbo mufflers" on 6 cylinder vehicles. No, they don't have the dual exhaust, v-8 Flowmaster (or similar) sound, but they do sound great. I've you've ever heard a 1987 Buick GNx launch with them, wow is all I can say. The GN's sound about as good too, but part of the sound of these may be the actual turbo sound mixed in.
Full disclosure, the GNX is my dream vehicle but they have gotten out of my likely price range. They made 547 of them and the cost has been going up exponentially for the past 15 years or so and now go well over $100k. I do have a 1983 Hurst/Olds with the lightning rod shifters. It has a 307 v-8 Olds motor and though it is MUCH slower than the turbo 6 of the GN/GNx, it sounds great with a pair of the same turbo mufflers (single in is split into two mufflers).

Reactions: White016

·
Premium Member
2018 Colorado CCLB Z71 3.6 LGZ
3,896 Posts
I would have a Cherry Bomb just to have a Cherry Bomb.

Reactions: White016

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,117 Posts
Only one way to find out how it’s gonna sound. Maybe score a spare exhaust for cheap if you don’t like it.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Canyon AT4
482 Posts
You can get a stainless glass pack from someone other than Cherry Bomb. I believe Magnaflow makes one.

·
Registered
5,091 Posts

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 Black \/6 4WD Z71 Crew Cab Short Box
1,117 Posts
Meh it’s not a corvette- I say try it for science. Yes Thrush is the company with woody woodpecker

·
Registered
6,285 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I refused to use Thrush or Cherry bomber mufflers even Back in high school.

I went with Cyclone Turbo Muffler as they were the leading edge stuff before Borla, Flowmaster and others came along.

I had to bolt right on the headers since I ran a full ladder bar rear suspension. They were quiet when I wanted them to be and loud when I wanted to be.

But the best thing now is stainless. My Pontiac is a 1985 and it is still on the stock factory exhaust. Pontiac did a great job on the Fiero exhaust. They really made a 2.8 V6 sound like a V8. I often get asked if my is a V8 and I tell them no.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Agree with you on Pontiac making really good quality exhaust.

Reactions: Firehk

·
Registered
223 Posts
OMG,
Okay here goes all my street cred, but I have to share!
Back in the 80s my older brother and I thought that putting a Thrush glasspack on "our" car would be awesome. However, I have to admit that we were driving a 1978 Plymouth Fury 4 door, with a straight-six and a 3-speed auto. The glasspack didn't add anything to the car, in fact as the younger brother, I just nodded and agreed that it sounded way better!
It did however have cragars all around with 12" wide slicks on the rear and air suspension that we kept filled to the max!

Thanks for the memories!

Reactions: Firehk
1 - 20 of 22 Posts